Skip to main content
Topic: Rear suspension 8v 1991 - one part missing! (Read 1221 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rear suspension 8v 1991 - one part missing!

Reply #15
It is integral L90E and the shocks are Meyle from VW Heritage - listed as suitable for PB engine (8v GTI). Ditto springs. In fact most stuff is from VWH. Yep I could get it about the plastic encasement but might be difficult to find something suitable. Should all be jsut 'plug and play' if from the same source.

Reply #16
Took a while but found again some of the references I'd seen last year.

Hopefully it'll not set a red light off in some Govt. office but this is on a russian VW forum... doesn't tell you anything you don't already know, but there's a couple of images showing the underlay in position - Link

Same part is used on B3 Passats, a couple of written references stating the underlay acts to center the spring around the shock - probably makes equal sense as any other explaination.

Piccie from another forum of tube encased springs - Eibechs and just on the front pair.

Reply #17
Went through the Meyle on-line catalogue and cross referenced what I think you've bought from Hertiage.

If I've got it right plus they haven't made an error and sent you incorrect stuff it should have the following numbers either on the items and / or the packaging.

Rear spring - 100 051 0002 and / or MCS 0103, (corresponds to VW# 191 511 115 A, as per 7Zap)

Rear shock -  126 715 0006 and / or MSA 0107, (corresponds to VW# 1H0513031 D, as 7Zap again)

If it does all check out properly then it's looking like Meyle / Heritage are assuming you've the underlays to take up the slack and factored that into their specs.

Read back over the earlier posts, including last years. I know it's no consolation, but I think you've helped solve the mystery... the underlays are for nothing more than to center the springs around the shocks.

If they'd been rubber or similar I'd maybe include acting as insulation too but they look so flimsy I can't see them making any difference there.

Might be worth talking it over with Heritage, maybe they have a known solution?

At the least they should be made aware and consider highlighting the need for an (unobtainable) underlay before purchase?

If you haven't fitted anything another option might be to return it?

Do you have some of the later 1J0 512 109's?

Could maybe be made to fit if a segment was cut from them so they close in around the shock, spring should hold them firm when insitu... just thoughts!

Reply #18
Thanks again L90E - you are a mine of information.  The Russian website was a really good description. I can obtain another 1J0  version so could remove a portion or maybe just cut it and see if it closes in. I am also going to buy some 1 mm galv sheet and a sort of flaring tool and try to make my own. They deffo won't be pretty but might just do the job.

The springs are VW - three green dots and allegedly 40 mm shorter then the standard spring. The dampers on ETKA should be either 191 511 115B or F by my reckoning. The number on the Meyle ones is different to your suggestion but that  might be expected if matching a different VW number - they are 126 725 0055.

I would have bought the (more expensive) Boge ones but they only had/have one - but no guarantee that I would still not have the same problem,

Reply #19
Can't take any credit... quite a bit of info. out there if you check the free / on-line catalogues from most of the big name producers.

Some are better than others or easier to navigate, but they're all well worth a visit and book marking for future reference.

I've only access to 7Zap, but even so the OE part numbers it gives are generally accurate and can be used to cross reference / double check.

Autodoc and the likes use the same TecAlliance / TecDoc databases that the manufacturers maintain, though I'd still recommend going direct to the horses mouth, I've found occasionally things can get lost or confused in translation.

Here's Meyles to kick you off... Meyle On-Line Catalogue

Reply #20
Thanks for the link to the Meyle catalogue which indicates - 1.8 GTI PB, oil damper is replaced by 126 725 0055 so I am pretty confident I have the correct one. I have a copy of ETKA so whilst there are always a number of variations I think I have the correct ones  - we will see when eventually I get round to fitting them!!!

I will post some pics of my fabricated underlays when I have the gear to make them.

Reply #21
So here is the first of my two underlays - see pic.

A bit crude around the edges but the shape is good and it sits well - you can also see the hardwood timber former that I made. Just as I finished the second one the wooden former split - just held together long enough - phew!

For those who have refurbed their rear suspension before can I ask whether you found there was a significant difference in the height of the new 'lower bearing' and the old one - see second pic. I guess the old one is a bit squished after 30 years but I am a little concerned about having enough thread on the top of the damper to fully connect the top nuts.

Cheers

Reply #22
Just in case this is useful... I don't have a side by side comparison but I found this photo of my rebuilt rear struts for the 1.3
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50095305072_12cd0735a9_c.jpg
and the "lower bearing" looks very similar to your new one and the strut went back on without issue.

It was a while ago now but I don't remember there being any bearing plates when I first took it apart either, the shocks had the lower support for the spring built in.

Reply #23
Many thanks Caitlin - that helps. I have also heard from the supplier who confirms that they are deeper when new.

I can crack on and assemble them - when I get the time!!

Reply #24
All done and back on the car - yay!

Haynes and elsewhere says to torque the lower bolts when the car is back on its wheels. Not possible - the exhaust is in the way on one side and the fuel tank on the other. So I tightened as hard as I could with conventional spanners whilst on the floor and then lifted it and did the final torque setting - still tightened quite a bit.

Anybody else found this issue?

Reply #25
Excellent - look factory!

I'd imagine there's others out there would pay good money for a pair of those.

I was fortunate enough to have the car up in the air / nothing in the way, and one of the bolts striped it's thread on me way short of the correct torque.

Was suppossedly an new OE VW item too, have my doubts.

Got some matching spec. ones from Westfieldfastners (I think) and no issues.

Reply #26
Thanks for that. There was a lot of man-hours in those including the hardwood former and that has now broken. So won't be going into business making them anytime soon!

My bolts were from VW themselves and tightened OK. But you have to torque from the bolt head end which is not good practice as some of the torque gets lost in twisting the bolt. That could be why the thread stripped.