Skip to main content
Topic: Rear suspension 8v 1991 - one part missing! (Read 1220 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear suspension 8v 1991 - one part missing!

I have collected all the bits to fully refurb the rear suspension but I have one bit missing.

It is described as an 'underlay' and  looks like a washer turned up in the centre - part code is 321 512 109.

It is NLA of course from VW and is not available from VW Heritage or anywhere else it seems.

Anybody happen to have pair or know where they can be sourced?

Thanks in hope!

Re: Rear suspension 8v 1991 - one part missing!

Reply #1
I typed in the part no into google and they are available on amazon postage is very high the part was cheap. There were other sites advertising they had stock.

Reply #2
Thanks - I have tried this but every site I look at has no stock or the part is NLA - like in the pic from Amazon which does not seem to have attached so copy url.!

Please can you send a link to the websites that you have found have stock.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Original-Volkswagen-Suspension-Plunderlay-321512109/dp/B077H4KSGX

Reply #3
If you find them I want two.  I couldn't source any last year so I assembled my rear suspension without them.

Edit; I didn't have any on when I took the suspension apart.  That means they were never on or I discarded them back in the 90s.

Reply #5
A bargain.....maybe not after postage  ;D
I wonder if they have alternative VAG part numbers?

I know it's not OEM but surely you can get plastic ones. My Koni shocks have them I'll compare the diameters of them. Not sure what purpose they serve though.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #6
Yep thanks SCS, I did spot that one but was put off by the postage initially.  But then I was tempted until I read some of the reviews (not on their site of course). Nearly all scary stuff - take money and no response, been waiting weeks and weeks etc. But mainly silence when e-mailed so I am not going to risk spending over £100.

If I find a source I will post on here but please if anybody else can find a supplier that would be great.

Reply #7
Re’ ‘underlay’ necessity:
Had a similar arrangement on BMW M3 (2004). Handbook clearly stated that this washer be refitted, and right way up, to avoid the shock from tearing through the rubber bushing located under the sheet metal mount area?
In fact I had a local garage replace my original units with a premium brand, at great expense, and shortly after driving away the car made horrible noises from rear near side. On return to garage they claimed the rubber bushing with my branded shock kit wasn’t up to the job and had ruptured. At further expense they fitted OEM items which dealt with problem. I’m of opinion that the mechanic failed to refit the washers on assembly first time?

Reply #8
Thanks Marcosgt. In my case there is no rubber to protect but the spring is a loose fit on the damper body i.e. the bottom diameter of the spring is about 2-3 mm larger than the damper body. I believe the underlay is there to take up the slack and keep the spring central to the damper. Any thoughts anybody on my reasoning?

Reply #9
The underlay is pressed steel so I'm not sure it performs a centering function.  It probably is an underlay; something that gives the spring an even surface to sit on and press onto as the suspension compresses.
My car has been fine without it for almost 30 years.  I don't think it is critical. 

Reply #10
I'd looked into this around the middle of last year - Isaac 1992 8v

Bottom line was 321 512 109 is NLA from main streaam suppliers and according to any outlet I spoke to it wasn't superseded by VW.

There's 1J0 512 109 still available which serves the same purpose on later VW's / Skodas but have been advised isn't interchangable.

Those don't cost much and I did intend to get one to try / find out for myself, but never did for the reasons below.

I changed out my shocks for Bilsteins (kept the original springs) and they came with all the hardware for the job, though tellingly that didn't include an 'underlay'.

From the images you'll see why as it wouldn't fit anyway, the spring and support are a snug fit with no play.

From what I gather an 'underlays' purpose on any car is to contribute towards insulating against noise / vibration.

Presumably metal ones do the job, but rubber also seems to be common.

This may or may not be a modern day replacement - again I never took things any further, but you can see from the image that it's possible.

Energy Suspension,

If anyone does explore these further, be interesting to hear how you got on.

Reply #11
L90E you are a mine of information.

Reply #12
I saw the pic, L90E, of your assembly and the spring was a snug fit on the damper with no room for an underlay. The difference with mine is the that the 'boss' on the spring support is underneath not above the support - see pic. This means that there is a 2 mm gap all around between the spring and the damper body - see pic. Hence, I thought the underlay being steel would make up that gap and keep the spring centred.
Hopefully the pics will show??

Reply #13
I forgot to mention I bought the 1J0 512 109 but it is too large - the internal diameter is about 55 when the damper is only 40.

Reply #14
Cheers... good to finally confirm 1J0 512 109 doesn't interchange.

Your spring disc (No. 5) looks to be integral to the shock body or is it a separate, removable piece as with the Bilsteins?

If so and the measurements correspond you might be able to substitute the likes of one from Febi (18843) where the flange faces upwards?

I've seen springs available that have a portion of their length encased with plastic tubing. Rightly or wrongly I thought that was for a similar reason, to help reduce noise / vibration. Maybe your shocks were intended for such springs, the gap allowing for that outer plastic cover, just speculating?

What brand are the shocks?