Skip to main content
Topic: Isaac - 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v... (Read 16972 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v...

Reply #105
Talking about the O ring for the fuel pump made me go back and look at it again.

7Zap gives the original as N  90312402 for my '91 8v PB and a spec. of 42 x 5.3 mm, no mention of anything else about it unfortunately.

Apparently green is a generally used / recognised colour for a material called 'Viton', though that's not a hard and fast rule so only use it as a guide.

I did try to find some genuine ones at the time though they were either no longer available or that Greek seller on eBay had some, but postage was astronomical.

I found a German place that supplied 42 x 5.3 rings however they turned out to be 'Nitrile' (also known as NBR) which has different properties and depending on what you read may or may not be reliable in fuel enviroments.

I still can't properly get my head around all the differences and suitabilities of the various materials.

Then there's something called 'Shore', which I think is basically how flexible they are, adding to the confusion. If it's too hard, won't seal properly, too soft and they tear.

Upshot was I could find rings of the correct measurement, but not material and rings of the right material but ever so slightly smaller (0.3 mm) diameter.

'Viton' is apparently ethanol resistant - though E10 wasn't a consideration back in 1991 I'm guessing VW intentionally specced it and the fact it still exceeds standards is a happy coincidence. 

Like I said above, my original ring seemed quite hard (steady!) but now that I've gotten new ones of the same material, they're as equally so.

The new ones are 42 x 5.0 and 'Viton' - they fit with no effort and seem to seal perfectly, but I've yet to run fuel through it on the car... I can fall back on the original if needs be.

If your original is shot and you're stuck for a replacement might be worth trying out these replacements and letting us know how you get on - would be a good source for others if they work fine.

Price was for four, he may sell them individually also -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324071776172

Reply #106
Edd China would be proud!

Reply #107
This was pretty much how it came out of the tank other than to give it a wipe over and run it on the bench - spun like a sewing machine.

I was expecting to be looking for a new one, even the seals all seem spot on too, though if I've time and remember / they're available, will maybe look into replacing them as a precaution.

Might have been because the tank was completely dry of fuel, not so much as a drop, having sat for a decade?

Reply #108
These may be in another post, if not probably lost to the the old forum.

Metal MK3 reflector body solution to the problem of scorched plastic MK2 ones...

Reply #109
That pesky green 'O' ring I mentioned in the 'not so obvious service items' post.

Well worth looking at and sorting at your leisure if needs be... sods law says you'll only find out it's stuck when it's too late and you're wanting to adjust the dizzy.

Reply #110
Thought I'd followed the schematic and accounted for everything, but missed this one - No. 6 - Part 321 512 109

Described as an underlay, looks like the bottom of the spring rests on it to protect the lower spring disc (No. 5).

Googling suggests it's not readily available, though for the first time in a long time ECS actually seem to stock something I'm after -

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/packing/321512109/

For what it is, a piece of pressed tin, it's quite expensive to have a pair sent from the US... working out at about £25.00 delivered (and also assuming HMRC don't get involved, then you can probably double that with admin. costs).

Found this very similar item, does the same job in much later VW's - part # is very similar.

https://www.reformauto.ru/brand/vag/volkswagen-audi-gruppe/vag-1j0512109/

Unfortunately can't find specs. for either one on-line to see if they would interchange and save me spending 10 times what I might need to.

Anyone know of a cheaper source of the original 321 512 109 or if the later 1J0 512 109 and it are one in the same?

Reply #111
If I compare what I believe part 5 is on my Koni adjustable rears then that part is made out of plastic. The Konis have multiple grooves on the strut to allow for use with different length springs ie the spring plate rests on a circlip that fits in the groove but isn't in this diagram.
£25 seems a little excessive for the part but that might be down to low demand leading to limited supply. Surely there is a more cost effective option that doesn't compromise safety?
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #112
About the fuel pump, I'd say it's possibly not the original item.
Judging by the year of your car, I would have thought it would have had West Germany stamped on it when new.
This one could be an oe replacement?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #113
I reckon my car was build around August '91 and was re-unification in 1990?

I was also guessing the 27/91 maybe denoted the week/year of manufacture (July '91) which would tie in, but could be wrong there... plus goodness knows what's happened in it's life before I got involved, so could very well have been replaced.

Reply #114
Never thought of MK2's in that context before, it's an interesting thought.

Could open up a whole new can of worms like the Type 19 debate and start a fresh one about what constitutes a pre / post re-unification car!

Reply #115
If I compare what I believe part 5 is on my Koni adjustable rears then that part is made out of plastic. The Konis have multiple grooves on the strut to allow for use with different length springs ie the spring plate rests on a circlip that fits in the groove but isn't in this diagram.
£25 seems a little excessive for the part but that might be down to low demand leading to limited supply. Surely there is a more cost effective option that doesn't compromise safety?

In fairness to ECS the postage (which in itself isn't all that bad considering it's crossing the Atlantic) makes up a third of the cost, the bit's themselves are about £8.00 each, but when you can get the later part for around £4.00 each at a dealer they definitely do work out expensive by comparison.

It's an odd one... I've since got rid of the old shocks and can't check if there was one on them, don't recall seeing anything similar and I even took them apart out of curiosity, but they may well have rotted away.

The new shocks came with a new base plate, plastic cap and 3 x nuts plus a spacer which I assume is what they reckon you need to change with the shock itself. In that case surely they would've included No. 6 also if important?

It may well partly act to protect the spring / base from pressing against one another but might it also allow for any rotation between the two when things are under load? I'd imagine that'd be more important, being a sacrifical barrier preventing them grinding into one another, just guessing?

You can buy everything else you see in the schematic using the 7Zap quoted part numbers on Autodoc and the like with the exception of No. 6 which must be significant - is it an item that's since been decided unnecessary and not on later part databases?

That seems to have happened with Part 4. which is now shown as a M10 self locking nut on the schematic when it was originally that clip (the first 'test your knowledge' item) and captive standard hex nut from the factory.

Reply #116
I reckon my car was build around August '91 and was re-unification in 1990?

I was also guessing the 27/91 maybe denoted the week/year of manufacture (July '91) which would tie in, but could be wrong there... plus goodness knows what's happened in it's life before I got involved, so could very well have been replaced.

I don't know why, but for some reason I thought you had a small bumper car!
That's how I usually tell what parts came from pre and post 90 spec cars.
So yeah, almost certainly the original pump, good to see it's still working well.

The pre/post unification debate would be a good grenade to thrown into Facebook on a Friday night and watch the carnage...
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #117
Trial fitted all the rear shock bits and there doesn't look to be very much scope for Part 6 to fit... even if it's quite thin, the spring base and Part 5 are already a snug fit.

If it is needed and is as light a piece of metal as its images suggests, I'm not convinced it's up to acting simply as a barrier between the two.

I'm leaning instead towards thinking it rotates with the spring and prevents it digging into the base. The spring end is just a cut off and sharp edged. If it is necessary that there be some rotational movement in use and it can't get it becuase it's dug in, could end up putting it under undue stress.

Reply #118
Waiting for someone to come to me so as little bits of welding can be sorted, probably be a few more weeks 'till that happens so was amusing myself on other random jobs.

Gearbox is split from the engine  - same welder / mechanic should be changing the clutch in time.

You should all know what an the clutch release bearing looks like by now, here's the old one along with the original lever rod, thought you'd like to see the wear from 75K of gear changes.

Not too pronounced I think,. The rod doesn't seem worn at all, at either end though I don't have a new one to compare it to and am relying on inter-web images.

The arm (not pictured) isn't worn at all, presumably the release bearing takes the brunt of it.

I see Tierod and others do semi-complete kits with all the above and a few bits more, inc. the green lid if you need everything

My lid was the original VW embossed one, broke my heart to prise it off - replacements seem to be just plain, unless you know differently?

Reply #119
Picked this master cylinder up on eBay a few months ago.

I wasn't particularly looking for one and I think my original will be perfectly good when cleaned up and I believe service kits are available if needed.

It'd been up for quite a while with no takers, mainly I think because it's got 4 x ports (if that's the right term?) and not the regular 2 on the standard item.

I checked out the part numbers etc. etc. and while it's a bit hazy now they did show it would fit providing those 2 x surplus ports were plugged off.

Turns out these can be easily bought so I took a punt on it with a cheeky offer.

Haven't looked into brakes in too much detail so far but from what I've read did I understand correctly that you can redo the existing 2 x port brake pipe lay out to make use of the 4 x ports?

Does that in effect give each corner a dedicated brake line as opposed to them being shared in the origial lay out.

Presumably the 4 x ports are there for some applications (heavier vehicles such as diesels?)

Obviously extra work / expense involved but ignoring that, on a practical level what impact would dedicated individual ports have on brake performance?

Would it merely share the load more evenly or might it even be too effective and upset other aspects of the existing system?

Like I say, other than the additional ports it's the same dimensions / specs. as the stardard item and that's the original resevoir you see fitted - does so perfectly as does the cylinder itself to the servo.