Skip to main content
Topic: Isaac - 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v... (Read 17075 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v...

Reply #135
That's odd, I'm sure I had them on my ones.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #136
This is all mine has... it's made of that type of foam used for pipe lagging and really light.

Fits about the base in a groove.

Right size to seal things and presumably works.

Reply #137
Just went ahead and bought the plate / seal from that eBay seller... for the sake of £12 it'll doubly make sure things stay water tight, plus it'd be a nightmare of a job to do if needed after everything's all back together.

No connection to them... but even though the bits were listed as used they were probably in better nick than new having been powder coated.

Reply #138
Bit of lull recently... some delays due to relying on the welding being done and a few mechanical bits that were either beyond my current capabilities or I didn't have the tools to do myself - things like the bushes for the front engine support plus the main ones in the rear beam.

But all done now and can forge ahead with beginning to put things back on as opposed to taking them off!

Didn't waste too much time and managed to get quite a few unrelated jobs done that are sitting ready and waiting.

One was finishing the re-texturing of the exterior black plastic, you might remember I did the rear bumper eons ago and it's stood the test of time.

When I was doing the rear offside side strip found this handwritten note on the inside, a few random numbers but to my eye that's a date - 26.6.91

Would tie in with the date marks on other bits that I know are original, plus the cars VIN corresponds to a final build date of 30/8/91.

(My avatar is a copy of the paint inspection sticker - it's showing as being done on the 23/8/91)

Reply #139
From a week or two ago - Engine bay cleaned up and wiring loom has since been recovered in cloth tape after this photo.

That leads me on to a (hopefully) small problem.

While in the bin bag quite a few of the labels that I was relying on to identify what goes where have become unreadible.

I suspect the sharpie pen ink has reacted to solvent fumes in the air captured by the bag and become blurred.

A lot of them I recognise but you may still be getting a few unintended posts testing your knowledge!

Reply #140
Getting ahead of myself - something that was done while waiting for the welding to finish.

The metal plates the headlights attach to I put through the rust bath of phosphoric acid.

There wasn't actually any rust on them, but I've found if you let certain types of metal soak for 5 - 10 mins they take on that grey plated appearance. Don't leave them in too long though, if they're previously galvanised it'll start to strip that off. Get it right and it tidies up the looks and more importantly acts as future rust prevention

If you're looking new fixing screws for the light frame (8 needed - not fitted in these pics) to the slam panel they're part # N01-388-73, but instead of paying VW prices you can get 20 identical ones here eBay for the a little over £4 posted (No. 12 - 5.5x16mm)

Reply #142
You have an amazing attention for detail. Your car is as good as new.
scs

Reply #144
Thanks but I've had it in bits for over ten years now and should be embarrassed!

The larger of the front engine cross member pieces was in OK nick, needed treated and re-done but structurally fine.

The lighter piece was reasonablly OK too, but had what looked like quite heavy surface rust on the under side.

Heritage had Klokkerholm copies for just over £30 (since gone up to £50) so seemed like a cost effective option when you factor in the time and cost of materials if preping / treating / painting the original.

Unfortunately their delivery times stretched from weeks to months and it now looks like they're semi-unavailable almost everywhere.

I see VW are doing 'originals' now (big money, in the hundreds), wonder have they withdrawn permission for repos?

Forced me to re-look at it and once again the phosphoric acid came to the rescue - it never ceases to amaze me just what a transformation this stuff can achieve.

Should have taken a 'before' pic. to convince you - here's the slam panel instead, only took images in advance of it to remind me what went where / sticker locations etc. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the cross member so transformation isn't as dramatic, the latch came up particularly well, though in fairness it was taken off to get some extra TLC.

(Sticker locations has the potential to be another MK2 nerd subject - I'm a very late 1991 car and the placement does differ from images of other younger cars - wonder was it an intentional thing, age or spec. related, maybe even where it was manufactured?)

Just a reminder of how bolts respond to a session in it, not only strips any corrossion but plates them in a grey rust inhibitor.

These are the PAS rack set, replacing them wouldn't be easy / cheap so well worth taking the effort to resurrect them...

Reply #145
Looks like we're all sorting out gear linkages out together!

Foam on mine was shot - crushed, greasey and sticky, maybe yours is too?

Googled the part number and VW replacements seem to be supplied as a strip now, not the originals gasket type make up... 7Zap gives the dimensions as 15 x 10 mm.

Generic stuff on eBay to the same measurements, shape it yourself by cutting in a few 'V's' and save some money.

The adhesive on this particular stuff is very strong, don't see it easily coming adrift.

eBay

Reply #146
Can't wait to see this thing in the metal when it's done!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #147
Change in the weather has unfortunately also meant a change in momentum, so not much new done.

Have been half heartedly test fitting some of the assemblies to double check all's well and nothing's missing.

Engine subframe, touch wood, is OK so far but I can't find the cross member to chassis leg bolts anywhere.

If push comes to shove, I can get replacements but be sods law the originals turn up after spending £25+ I don't want to on four new ones.

Shouldn't be a surprise at the difference the new cross member rubber bushes made... was even a bit of an effort bolting the upper and lower parts together now that they're no longer worn out / compressed.

The front engine mount was changed too, the existing one I suspect wasn't the VW original as it appeared to be in OK nick, but since everything else was getting refreshed and they don't cost alot would've been pointless not to.

I'm going to waxoyl the inside cavity of the lower part and the underside of the upper part when the time comes, judging from the previous surface rust those seem to be the most vulnerable areas.

Reply #148
Tripping over things and losing track of what's, what and where it is so decided to start putting things back on.

Doubtless they'll all be off again in no time and maybe even more than once but it's good practice and I'll get to know MK2's inside, out.

Took a stack of piccies this afternoon when I was having a breather, but the half of them didn't come out very well.

Not that riveting to look at, but remember they were taken for proof of work when the car's eventually valued for insurance.

(Nothings tightened up as a result, some bolts for example may not even the right way around - just set in place so as to be accounted for.)

Reply #149
My god this is going to be epic, hoping you will be taking a dander up to Derry when it's done ;-)