Skip to main content
Topic: Isaac - 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v... (Read 17068 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v...

Reply #150
Way things are going we'll all be at least a year older by then Bill!

Reply #151
Well I ain't getting any younger lol.

Reply #152
You might want to check the reviews of Waxoyl type products. I have an old Practical Classics mag and the traditional Waxoyl didn't fair well for longevity Bilt Hambler and Rustbuster products did.
You don't want the dreaded tinworm returning too soon.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #153
It's more a belt and braces thing, me being over the top and putting protection on top of protection.

I think with cars like the MK2 the secret's maintaining the protection with regular inspections / re-treatment as required, not like modern cars that seem to be able to go for years without anyone lifting a finger to them.

The 205 seems to have had it's underside done (and re-done) from early on in it's life, explains why it's like new beneath.

After doing the entire underside of the MK2 I've added a waxoyl coat on top again of the rear section, particularly the bit that's hidden by the petrol tank. OTT but when everythings off, now's the time to do it.

Front wing inners got a coat too, arch liners just seem to be an approximate fit and plenty of daylight's visible if you stick your head up in there.

Put the rear beam back on yesterday / today... that was a job and a half when you're on your own.

Son made me up a gauge to get the exact angle for the bracklets before tightening them to the beam... cannibalised the spirit level from an old set square.

Working through the parts pile rightly and rear shocks begun.

You might have read earlier that my engine sub-frame was showing rot, from the inside out.

New one's been filled with waxoyl and most appertures on the upper facing side now have grommets.

Hopefully stop water ingress but there's still drainage beneath if it should.

Reply #154
Doing the front / rear brakes at the moment while waiting for pipe / unions and other bits to arrive.

All just loosely assembled for checking but already found I'm short the odd thing such as thrust washers for the rear stub axles... why wouldn't you include them in a kit (a good FAG on at that) which has everything else, seems odd.

Also found the new dust shields are a very loose fit and spun around freely when used in conjunction with Meyle stub axles, maybe better with other brands but you'd imagine they'd all be to the same tolerences so maybe not?

Easy fix - 4 x small cuts and folded in one side of each to make a spiral effect that semi-locks in place.

My originals were completely shot, presumably they take the brunt of the road dirt and spray. Although they're already plated (and I've cut into it also) gave them some extra protection with a zinc primer coat.

Reply #155
If you never ever see a photo uploaded by me again it's becuase the quality of this build is creating serious shame! Bearing in mind I'm at a similar stage with mine having just fitted new wishbones with bushes and drop links etc, all be it to my grotty shell and rusty subframe. All my proud achievements now mean nothing, I am not worthy.

That said, once it's done I'm sure I'll be more willing to drive in all weathers, do a tip run, take the dogs out in the back, buottom out over a speed bump or just generally use and abuse it more than you. I love this attention to detail but how will you possibly come to terms with driving it through a muddy puddle once done?

Hats off to you, this is setting the bar really high!

Reply #156
Don't know what to say, feel really bad now - didn't enter my head it might have that effect!

Just enjoy getting into something, probably over indulge but luckily I'm time rich and can get away with it.

Your thread(s) and blog are a gold mine and apart from anything else I just enjoy reading them. I've referred to them countless times and I bet untold others do to, as will new members in the future - I hope you're just joking?

If you could see the state of the 205 today you'd know I'm not worried about using it, fully intend to do the same with the MK2 - all this work's for me and not the next guy.

Reply #157
Don't worry (there's some truth behind the comment, I am shamed but) I am totally blown away by this, better than factory approach.  I will contine to post up my grotty pics (<-- oh, that sounds wrong. Not those kind of grotty pics).

My thread has some updates incoming, I did grab a couple hours on the weekend. Just haven't uploaded the pics yet.

Reply #158
Putting stuff back on to the underside and discovered the fuel feed (black one) has what looks to be a 1 - 2 cm burn on it's outer surface midway along it's length.

It coincides with the slight kink where it follows the line if the fastenings, and is approx. below the drivers seat.

It's bizarre, not sure if it's recent or not. First thoughts it was the welder, but the line wasn't on the car at that time which is why I leaning towards it being old damage.

Anyhow tried to find a replacement, just wouldn't be happy with it now and sure enough VW Classic Parts have them for a not too unreasonable €37 (but add a less reasonable €12 postage to that)

Heritage don't list it but when I rang they confirmed they can more or less get you anything you find on the main German site, so it pays to ask.

Upshot was they quoted just under £42 posted, though unfortunately there's a minimum 5 week wait.

Reply #159
..yes you need to have a "long-term" shopping list when buying from VW Classic otherwise the postage is expensive.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #160
By the time I'd got the flaring tool, pipe, unions etc. likely would've been cheaper taking it somewhere to have them do it, but have to say it's a very satisfying job.

Plan is to do the 205 and MK1 in time which should make it more economic.

Had the bonus of the original VW pipes to use as a template otherwise I doubt it'd have gone so easily.

You don't get much in a roll! Had to order a second so as to finish the rears.

As said earlier, I've definitely settled on the original MC with the 2 x outlets, not the 4 of the new one - that would've been even more pipe, though wasn't the reason.

Reply #161
Meant to add this - Found it on ClubGti, and all credit goes to the original poster.

Explains the layout in simple terms that I can see and understand, might be useful to someone else too.

Reply #162
Don't know what to say, feel really bad now - didn't enter my head it might have that effect!

Just enjoy getting into something, probably over indulge but luckily I'm time rich and can get away with it.

Your thread(s) and blog are a gold mine and apart from anything else I just enjoy reading them. I've referred to them countless times and I bet untold others do to, as will new members in the future - I hope you're just joking?

If you could see the state of the 205 today you'd know I'm not worried about using it, fully intend to do the same with the MK2 - all this work's for me and not the next guy.

Been saying for ages , makes your average mortal feel inadequate , thoughts of “I could eat off that “

Reply #163

The manual also lists the various bits in the kit so I'm happy everything is there but it would still be interesting to know if other models/markets had tools that went into these empty slots...

I thought I'd take a look because I was sure I have tools in those slots.  Turns out my my jack holder doesn't even have those slots, G reg 1989.  I believe that jack holder in your car is the same as we had in a 1992 Mk3.  Mk3 parts lists or manuals may specify what goes on there, from memory a towing eye in the big one?  Perhaps a smaller spanner in the small one?

Reply #164
It's very possible it's a MK3 one, unfortunately I don't have it handy to see if there's any manufacturing date on it.

Being a very late 1991 car and from the very end of production I've found a few 'cross-over' bits in common with the MK3 not seen on earlier MK2's.