Skip to main content
Topic: RICER ....blooming air cooled. (Read 608 times) previous topic - next topic

RICER ....blooming air cooled.

TRANSFERRED FROM OLD SITE THREE YEARS OF CLEANING

For those who might be interested....probably only Eddypeck ......a Ricer none the less
Hopefully getting this home in a few days..... 1976 Kawasaki z1000 , American import (lhd) 4K miles  ..Had one 12 years ago, tripled in value since I sold it...... all original, plenty to clean on it

Can’t imagine ever wanting to sell it but I Don’t think I will lose money on it , it’s never going to be a concours blinged  up show bike as it’s only done 4K miles and has A sort of old newness which I don’t want to lose......

Had a great afternoon though...yep my kinda heaven 41 years of grime gone

Another good day, more stripping and cleaning, grease under the chain guard must have been 1/2” thick.. cleaned up really well, bit of paint touching up and a wax tomorrow

Sorry about all the pics but I am having a great time , the bike is amazing , not a show winner but so original ....

Nearly done, sprayed the underside of the mudguards hamerite smooth silver , looks better than the rust, almost all back together , just a final coat of wax and some number plates if dvla will sort out their shizzle ..
For those who were interested in the cleaning, I came across a cheap top tip... bit of degreaser and a scrub with aluminium foil works wonders, even on rust in chrome ...

Almost there ....it’s too knocked about  to have had a rebuild in the last 20 years so pretty convinced it looks a genuine 4K miler... love it

Re: RICER ....blooming air cooled

Reply #1
Was surface rusty so emeried it back to metal finish then four coats of hamerite smooth silver spray ...
Hope it lasts but it shouldn’t get the use yours will... checked out re chroming which would have been £180, that would have been the start of a very expensive slippery slope

Think the phots accentuate the grab rail it’s not that bad, there are complete rear fender delete kits out there , but you can also get coilovers on a golf  :silent:

Having the eternal battle now on the issue of engine guards.... not a fan but

Re: RICER ....blooming air cooled... copied from old site

Reply #2
At last , new plate arrived and fitted, now I need a nice day for quick sortie , brekkie and check through, no more garage reving .....
Some obligatory agreed value pictures

Well anther kidney gone.. (that’s three now?? ). This arrived today, only really right for about 3 years of z production
And really tidy...Probably to nice to stick under the saddle in a rubber bag??

Small update , taken a year but managed to prize this out of dvla .... hate the look of Irish plates but ??!    FYI those unaware the bike is a kz1000

Winter fun ongoing .... absolutely no mechanical ability at all but managed to squeeze out the battery tray and removed a few bits for powder coating, tank and panels for refurb, Allows me to indulge the old ocd and cleaning products... one side cleaned couldn’t be arsed to start the wheels .........

Re: RICER ....blooming air cooled... copied from old site

Reply #3
So cleaning sort of finished but lockdown means I can go out and have a rub..I can also bore you with motorbike updates ..new secondhand exhaust system fitted ..And all the bits I pulled out to remove, powder coat the battery tray stuffed back in...

Then the paintset was done and fitted... bit of a nightmare with the petcock oe fuel tap, but started first time after seven months and me fannying  about with many bits

Is it green ? Blue ? Maybe black ? .. very odd colour