Skip to main content
Topic: J5CEB - 1992 Golf Driver (Read 897 times) previous topic - next topic

J5CEB - 1992 Golf Driver

Hello

As some already know from the "introduce yourself" section, I've found a nice MK2 Driver from 1992 at my workplace. He's been neglected and abandoned for quite some time. However, I've made a mission from giving him some better days as he simply looked sorry for himself.
The pics with the Golf can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/196957495@N02/albums/72177720303774298
Once I'll manage to put pics here, I'll give up with the links. But untill then, it is what it is.
In the meantime, good news: found the registration of the car - J5CEB.
I've made a whole new topic for this car due to needing a lot of this forum's knowledge. I haven't got a carburettor car since I think 2006 so some things I've forgot. Plus being literally a noob when it comes about MK 2's doesn't help the car at all.

So far, he got the following:
1. fresh fuel
2. fuel filter
3 air filter
4. spark plugs
5. ignition leads

What comes next:
1. oil filter+oil(haven't managed to change it due to complications)
2. distributor cap

On the "mouldy" side of things, manage to notice that the sun roof leaks on passenger side. Can't do anything due to weather at the moment. So...come on Spring! However, I've made a solution comprised of vinegar and water(1:2) and scrubbed the entire interior, from dash and steering wheel to seat belts. So the mould should be gone for a while.

However, need some help with a problem(first in a line of many):
Every morning I go to work(even if in holiday) and start it, run it around the yard and then park it back. All this is done to heat up the interior so that the moisture is non-existent. But...
If I remember correctly, the sequence for a car with manual choke is to pull fully the choke button, press the acceleration pedal 3 times and then the car should fire up. At least my Renault 12 was. This one barely starts with full choke, goes around 700rpm and quickly dies. Then refuses to start at all, as if it's starved of fuel. Checked the filter, he's in the correct position. So I try again. 4th time starts, goes at around 1000rpm but runs really, really poor, as if the spark plugs aren't firing at all.
Here comes the "but": But...if I accelerate to 2000rpm(all this with the choke fully retracted) and keep it like 5 mins like that, engine behaves normal, has a good idle, doesn't try to die...it's like the rough start never happened.
It's a bit puzzling me. I've checked spark plugs, leads all good. Fuel sistem goes ok. Even checked the air filter to be in the proper position. All is fine but every morning, she doesn't wanna start.

Any ideas? It is important to run as it provides the heating for the interior plus possibility to move it to inspection ramp, fueling etc

Re: J5CEB - 1992 Golf Driver

Reply #1
Looks in surprisingly good condition with little rust. Is that the case?
Can't help suggest a solution to the choke since I"ve not had a car with a manual one for years!
Re the sunroof leak. Have you tried clearing out the 4x sunroof drain channels? If that fails maybe duck tape the sunroof until you can fix in the spring?
Re mould. When my car was out of action on the drive I wound the windows down 1cm to let the air flow. That stopped the mould but I didn't have a leak.
Perhaps you need to think about replacing the timing belt/water pump too.
Can't remember what the colour your car is but believe it was introduced in the run-out before the MK3.

1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
Regarding rust, only issues I've found are at the rear valance(small areas around the exhaust - sort of the corner of the valance) and battery tray. Will be lifted these days while at work for oil change so I will see underneath If any issues.
The problem with the sunroof is that it is sealed with silicone. At a quick look, a very sloppy job. However, I'm afraid that if I open it somehow, it will not close back properly and more water will get in. I'll get a pic of it to understand what I mean. By the way, there is a sort of cover on the inside. Does that slide with the sunroof or is simply a slide thingy moved by hand?
Yup, he needs a lot of work to have it back on the road properly. At the moment, I want it just to run for heating and movement purposes.  I will take a look at the timing to see what's the state of it.

Reply #3
Looks good
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #5
Hi a quick answer to the sunroof internal cover. The cover is meant to be attached to the sunroof panel and moves when the sunroof is opperated

Reply #6
Re the sunroof. Probs best using some paint friendly tape to seal it since whilst ever the water gets in there will be mould but also a danger of the floors rotting through.
I'd consider putting converter on the rust since unfortunately it is only going to get worse.
Hopefully next year we'll get some nice long dry periods and you'll get chance to make progress.

Reply #8
Yeah, noticed that myself. However, I've heard two stories about him:
1. Came to scrapyard 2 years ago and stood in yard untill a couple of months ago when it was brought in the front parking area(confirmed by 3 colleagues)
2. Came in scrapyard about half a year ago(version confirmed by 2 colleagues)

I would go with the 2 years one due to how mouldy the interior was and the seized brakes. MOT says something else so....God knows
Still, he's a good boy :)

This is the main cause of the water inside:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/196957495@N02/52517545920/in/album-72177720303774298/

Now waiting for some good weather :D

Reply #9
The sunroof seal was never designed to be 100% watertight. Water gets past it and into the channel around the inner sunroof case and runs out through the 4 drains, one in each corner. If one or more of the drains block up, which easily happens, water will back up and overflow back into the car. Many people tho k the seal is the problem and just tape up or mastic the seal rather than try and fix the drainage issue.

It’s also quite likely to have more than one area of water ingress. I’d check the drains in the scuttle too. Leaves and crap collects there.

Reply #10
The sunroof seal was never designed to be 100% watertight. Water gets past it and into the channel around the inner sunroof case and runs out through the 4 drains, one in each corner. If one or more of the drains block up, which easily happens, water will back up and overflow back into the car. Many people tho k the seal is the problem and just tape up or mastic the seal rather than try and fix the drainage issue.

It’s also quite likely to have more than one area of water ingress. I’d check the drains in the scuttle too. Leaves and crap collects there.

A second vote for taping up the sun roof. Also park it slightly raised at the rear.  This is so that any water that gets past the tape flows to the front drains.  The rear drains were not painted and could well be rotted through and need welding, check for a damp roof liner.

Reply #11
Just testing the photo thing...

Reply #12
Yup. Looks like a Golf ☺
TBH I find myself forgetting how to post pics in the post.

Reply #13
Hi TDR90
I have a 1990 Driver, with manual choke.

Sounds to me like you might be flooding the carb with the start routine you're using; I pull the choke out fully and then start with some accelerator but not pumping it.  Generally starts first time, then I return the choke to about halfway, until warm up has properly started, which is almost straight away in summer.

Reply #14
Bingo Martin109! Noticed that if I retract the choke a bit, behaves ok. So I assume that I was flooding the carburettor badly :))
Other than that, the old boy slowly gets ready for the MOT. Next? Shockers, springs, lower arms with ball joints and brakes. Sounds like fun.
Next friday he will get his licence plates