Skip to main content
Topic: OEM GTi Springs (Read 380 times) previous topic - next topic

OEM GTi Springs

Okay.  I bought a Golf driver for my son for his first car.  Obviously insurance is going to be expensive, so the car will be kept stock.  However, I'm going to fit some new B4 bilstein shocks, because I've run them in the past and the damping is a lot better than the stock ones and they look identical to stock ones.  Eibach springs are great but they are obviously lower than stock, so cant get away with that.  SO, I had an idea.  Why not fit stock GTi springs, which I believe as 20mm lower than stock.  However, although I found there is a separate part number for the GTi front springs (compared to the bread and butter models), all the usual suppliers list the same rear spring for all models, including the bread and butter ones, for the rear (191-511-115A).  I even checked Bilstein's web site and they list the same rear spring for all models (36-226085).  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Is this correct? 

Re: OEM GTi Springs

Reply #1
Okay.  I bought a Golf driver for my son for his first car.  Obviously insurance is going to be expensive, so the car will be kept stock.  However, I'm going to fit some new B4 bilstein shocks, because I've run them in the past and the damping is a lot better than the stock ones and they look identical to stock ones.  Eibach springs are great but they are obviously lower than stock, so cant get away with that.  SO, I had an idea.  Why not fit stock GTi springs, which I believe as 20mm lower than stock.  However, although I found there is a separate part number for the GTi front springs (compared to the bread and butter models), all the usual suppliers list the same rear spring for all models, including the bread and butter ones, for the rear (191-511-115A).  I even checked Bilstein's web site and they list the same rear spring for all models (36-226085).  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Is this correct?

The part number, 191 511 115 (x) is the same for all Golf and Jetta variants, but the end letter changes.
If you look at:
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1991-110/5/511-106010/#1

There is a painted dot system that highlights the different loading spec.

Likewise, the part number for shock is the same for all non-GTI but with different end letters
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1991-110/5/511-106010/#2

Anyway, I think you'd be safe with any standard rear springs.

With regards to front springs, again the part number is the same for all with the end letter being the different bit.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1991-110/4/411-102000/#1

It's always said that a 16v GTI sits 10mm lower at the front than an 8v GTI, but there's never any definitive answer whether that's because the spring is shorter or if it's just because the engine is heavier and more loaded at the front compressing the spring more.

It's recommended that with the front shocks to replace/upgrade the top mounts.
Some people use mk3 top mounts but factor in this will raise the front by about 20mm, so with a mk3 top mount and a 40mm lowered sports spring, you'll end up sitting at about the stock height for a GTI.

A mk3 top mount requires some extra hardware as the top nut set up is different.

The easier option is G60 top mounts, which are the same as standard mounts just with a bit less give in the rubber.

If all are original, I'd be looking to replace all of the rubber mounts too, wishbone etc.
Keeping the car stock with OE rubber will be a good bet, no issues with insurance with regards to modifications, but replacing all the saggy 30 year old rubber.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Re: OEM GTi Springs

Reply #2
Thanks for all the info, that's very helpful.