Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Re: Is it just me ??

Reply #2
Well its busy today.

Reply #4
Perhaps the "attraction" of Facebook is wearing off! I'm guilty of this though - use FB on a daily basis. See the same questions and answers and abuse day after day and don't visit the forums anywhere near as much as I did.  I honestly would love to see the downfall of many social media sites. They're just so toxic for mental well being.

Reply #5
Hi Monkey, I couldn't help snooping on your signature in this thread you have a mrk 2 BBM R32 listed, I presume this is a car you own? If so I don't know what the BBM part means but I know what the R32 is, it is dream of mine to perform an R32 conversion on mk 2 golf, I just wanted to ask was there a lot of work involved in doing it, I know that is a very open ended question, but it would be interesting to hear about how much work is involved. The thing that I wonder about the most is how you manage to get all the ECU's wired in for all the different systems, especially where things like the ABS, Immobilizer, A/C are concerned, is there a way of by passing certain systems you don't want to put in, is it just as simple as getting: the engine, engine ECU, and upgrading the brakes but not necessarily adding in ABS?

Reply #6
Hi Toby,

You're not the first person to ask me this one!
So I've actually written a how to guide on a 3.2 conversion...
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=128.msg300#msg300

I wrote it 5 years ago, so some of the pricing may be a little out of date, but it should answer many of your questions.

BTW - BBM = Bright Blue Metallic
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #7
Hey Thanks for your reply,

my dream car is the R32, but to put it in a mrk 2 would be the ultimate in my opinion, and non many people do it, as I think a lot of work is probably involved, I will have a read!

Reply #8
II just had a read, my main question is how did you get around some of the auxiliary systems mainly the central locking, A/C, do they not run via the engine ecu? Is it as simply as just unplugging them? Sorry if it is a silly question, I have never done anything like this so genuinely curious on how you got around this issue.

Reply #9
All the ancillaries are on separate controllers.
The engine ECU can quite easily be wired to be stand alone, so you can just pull it and its' loom out the car, then give it the correct power signals from the mk2 wiring.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
Hey thanks for your reply,

Interesting to know, if I ever get round to doing my own I will be sure to pick your brains on it further, right now it's a lucid dream, but I am happy you managed to make it come true for yourself.

Reply #11
Yeah, no worries.
I've been running that conversion for 5 years now, it's definitely my favourite one.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v