Skip to main content
Topic: Hi all... a few photos from a new 8v owner in the East Mids (Read 540 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi all... a few photos from a new 8v owner in the East Mids

Hi all,

After 4 months of searching for a clean 8v I finally found the one I wanted, unfortunately it was in Scotland so a 7 hour train journey and 6 hour drive back later shes home safe and sound.  Completely stock apart from the 15inch BBS which by complete coincidence are exactly the same as I have on the BMW  :D

I've just spent the last two years doing a full restoration on my 1990 E30 (1990 320i SE coupe straight six 77k miles, bit of a blog here is anyones interested https://thee30project.wordpress.com ) and now its mint I wanted a new project.  I have had three previous Golfs but never a MK2 GTi so looking forward to getting to know it.  All the underside is absolutely mint, just had the rear axle, subframe bushes, KW shocks, springs and all new front links, arms, bushes and mounts done so a great starting point.

Re: Hi all... New 8v owner in the East Mids

Reply #1
Hi and welcome.

It would seem the Mk2 golf and e30 go hand in hand, I've had a few of each and I know I'm not the only one on here.
Here's the build on my last one https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=149.0

Didn't go as in depth as yours though. That looks epic. nice work. Looking forward to see more on the MK2

Re: Hi all... a few photos from a new 8v owner in the East Mids

Reply #2
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a good starting point.

Reply #3
Hi and welcome.

It would seem the Mk2 golf and e30 go hand in hand, I've had a few of each and I know I'm not the only one on here.
Here's the build on my last one https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=149.0

Didn't go as in depth as yours though. That looks epic. nice work. Looking forward to see more on the MK2

Thanks both... yeah really looking forward to getting stuck into the Golf :-) Front cam seal has a slight leak so going to start with that and do the crank seal and timing belt whilst I have it in bits. A few shrunken window seals to sort too and fog lights ordered for the big bumper :-)

Reply #4
Welcome along, some very nice cars you have there, the E30 looks gorgeous!
Any plans for the mk2, another restoration?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #5
Thank you :-) Theres a few bits I want to get sorted, sunroof seal, drivers door hinge and seals, cam and crank seals, timing belt etc and then just a general clean through and service.  I'm sure I'll find a multitude of bits to replace but plan is to use it as a local daily driver so don't want it perfect otherwise it will just sit in the garage wrapped in cotton wool like the E30 haha!

Reply #6
Hi & welcome:)
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #8
It does look fantastic, even in bits!!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v