Re: 1.3CL 86' to 2.8 24v V6 Reply #30 – May 20, 2020, 11:26:22 AM Quick little update from me, I've been furloughed for the past 6 weeks so I've had plenty of time to get stuff done. So, starting from the beginning;The coolant I had in it was really just a temporary measure to tide me over winter so first thing was to do a proper coolant flush and then refill with proper G13. I ordered a nice clean new coolant bottle while I was at it and ordered 2 lots of G13 to mix with water. I didn't pay attention and bought premixed G13, so it came and I didn't have enough. Stupid mistake...The paintwork on the Golf was shocking from being under a cover for the past 8 years, so I thought it was about time to grab a machine polisher and try and get it looking more respectable. in some areas its come up pretty well and I am happy with the results I got. It appears that when the car was painted it didn't get a clear coat, and as you'd expect from a drive way the quality is shocking in some places, with runs, fish eyes and orange peel all over the place. The rear valance, grill strip and front valance appear to have had absolutely no preparation before they were painted which means the paint is simply flaking off. Anyway here's the result of polishing the bonnet.Next up was chasing that stupid issue I was having with it not idling right and and the revs hanging. As of my last post I had changed all sorts of stuff to try and find it. My last attempt before I sent it off to someone for sorting was to swap the MAF again and also to take the Manifold off and check for vac leaks. At this point I was clutching at straws and had so far changed;3rd MAF so far. 1st came with the engine, 2nd was 2nd hand, 3rd was brand new.Changed lambda sensorsBrand new Febi coolant temp sensor and then a new OEM coolant temp sensor.Fully wired in a brake and clutch switch as it would work in a MK4Checked over the entire vacuum system more times than I’ve had hot dinners. Tried a different throttle bodyNew genuine fuel pressure regulatorTook the manifold off, made sure the gasket was seated properly but it back together. Absolutely no change what so ever. Pulling my hair out at this point. It was behaving like a vac leak, but there was no vac leak! Decided to break out VCDS and try and figure out from the MAF values if I could see anything amiss. With my limited knowledge, it all seemed fine, however I noticed that when I rev'd the engine the % load didn't always fall to the number it was before I had pressed the throttle. Although the pedal had completely come back up, I pulled the pedal back up with my foot and to my amazement the revs dropped, right down to 900rpm and stayed there. Rev'd the car they went up slowly came down, and then settled on 1200rpm. Pull pedal back up, drop to 900rpm. Ordered a new pedal for £13 plugged it in and its working perfect. The car is actually nice to drive now, semi annoyed I spent all that money on the other things and it took me since last October to figure out, but fixing this has increased my confidence in the cars reliability 10 fold. Finally. Saw a small bumper with fog lights, wanted fog lights, fitted fog lights. They aren't wired in yet, but I think will do it so they are high beam lights rather than fogs. More useful that way. I always start these posts with an aim to keep the writing short but somehow I end up writing a novel every-time. I apologise if this is boring. If I managed to keep you to the end, thank you for reading.