Skip to main content
Topic: Hey all, new member needing help (Read 453 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey all, new member needing help

Hey peeps,

New member here, but not new to a mk2 golf, based in east sussex

Previuosly owned early spec 16v which had 90 spec doors fitted, when i owned it had a 1.8 carb engine, then i put a modded1.6 carb in it, before going digi, To which sadly after doing so much work to it, i parted company with the old girl some 15 plus years ago now

Feels like punishment all over again now, but just last week, took ownership over a former 1.8gl which someone has put in a 1600cc diesel engine, in my honest thoughts. Its been badly done, but works all the same. well to a fashion.

Thats where you guys come in, looking for alot of advice, amonsgt the badly wired up engine, theres a lot of issues some of which will have to stay unless a loom comes to market, in which i think 90% of its wiring gremlins would disappear an just work as intended an i could live with that, an then could address some body work, then possibly just start to think about what i want the car to be in the long run, rather not go down that find a rust bucket route for a completly different engine with full loom option just yet

i think what maybe be useful, if anyone could point in the right direction of some diagrams/pictures of a 1.8gl engine layout of switches etc under the bonnet,

an perhaps some direction to where to find out where the current diesel engine may of come from. or idenifying it, has been suggested it came out of a mk1 caddy,

or even in touch with someone on here thats done a similar engine swap an seek advice

Also. im told it has mk4 golf brakes, but from a quick ish look, doesnt appear to be a mod thats carried out, any one shed more light on this perhaps

thanks for having me

Re: Hey all, new member needing help

Reply #1
Mk4 rear callipers are a common swap. And direct boot on part. You just need different flexi brake hose as they have a flat fitting.

But not the fronts, so it’s probably just the rear they are referring to.

Sorry can’t help with the other issues. Personally I’m not a diesel fan. So I’d be looking for a fresh engine swap if it was me. And start from scratch to sort all the gremlins as you go.

Reply #2
Hi eddy, well im considering 2 options at moment, as im not 100% on this car, i love its colour, look etc an body work is its strong point for sure, i dont mind diesels, how ever i think id always be thinking im chasing something with the car, so i think my options are, an being relistic

engine swap from a complete donor car thats no longer fit for road use is an option, but they can go silly money i feel,

ironing out a few wiring issues making car more appealing for resale an fresh mot, an buy something thats not requiring so much attention

Have to say later option is where my head is at, only becuase its had a number of mods done to the car, which unless i could identify could be a long peroid of chasing my own tail, wasting money on things that are not correct, or even chasing parts to put the car back to standard, of course there perhaps other things i could do, but there 2 things im considering

Do you know if the fuel tanks are the same from diesels and petrol engines ?

Reply #3
A good option for a donor car is a mk3.5 cabriolet.
It’s essentially a mk3 with a mk4 front end.

You can get them cheap, they’re often overlooked. That will get you a 2.0 litre 8v which is a solid option if you’re not going down the mk4 turbo or r32 options which so many want these days.

There’s loads of mk3 parts, brakes, running gear etc that can be used on a mk2. They’ll often have decent leather seats that can be modified for a mk2.

I don’t think there is any difference with any mk2 fuel tanks. If you do go down the cabby donor car route I don’t know if you can use that fuel tank. But if it’s the same as a normal mk3 then you can. And that will allow you to use the in tank fuel pump too I think.

Mk3 cabby owners often pay good money for the front end for a later car conversion.

If you have the space to break a car and the patience you’ll probably get back the cost of the car giving you essentially a free engine, loom etc.

I need to add, I’ve never done this so you’d need to fact check what I’ve said here but I’m fairly sure. I have looked into it previously and think it would be the route I’d take if I were doing a conversion.

A 2.0l 8v would be adequate as far as I’m concerned.

Reply #4
Thats very useful to know, an certainly food for thought now, i will research that some more in the coming weeks

Is the loom just a straight plug an play in to the mk2 fuse box then, assuming id have to replace my diesel clocks that barely function anyway this really is a contender to resolve some bad installition. no insult to previous owner, the car works to a fashion, but not how id really want it to in the long run

Reply #5
Evening Minty,

Nowadays you need to think about what condition your car is in.
There are plenty others out there that look great on the surface, but could end up costing a fortune in welding repairs.
Depending on where you skills are, you might be better off sticking with what you have and swapping engines/spec until you're happy.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Well i went an purchased the gti barn find, it arrives tomorrow, i am anxiuos, but i just dont feel id ever be happy with this diesel car i brought, i hate to say it case people are reading, but im gonna ditch on ebay in january after i sort a few issues out with the wiring that i traced down

its a very nice car, but it aint for me, and im not going to do a engine swap on it, and suspension, an change the brakes to gti set up an figure out what else the previous owners have done. The gti i found needs head gasket has been dry stored for awhile, but least its a rot free un touched example that i dont have to work out what the bits are, an stress about it, stock gti here i come

Reply #7
If it's rot free, you're already on to a winner!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #8
Hey peeps, great progress today,

My orignal golf, purchased last, i studied the haynes bible last night, an come to the conclusions that, the wires i needed for temp guage was red/yellow, i pealed back half a ton of black tap to find the little blighters, bingo found. Appears temp guage is now working. but i will need do a drive after a tidy up of loom, but going to try an discover the rev counter wire 1st

My new golf, i fitted battery, we have ingnition, it turns over, no fuel pump kicking in thou, now hazards work, but indiactors appear not to at moment, going to swap relays between the 2 cars tomorrow, but when ingnition is on, the dash light is shining a constant green light, unless i put hazards on, then apeears to flash as normal

thought id give  alittle up date, where would it be best placed to post progress/resto story on here, for them that are interested etc

Reply #10
i was going to swap relays between my 2 cars, an see if that made a difference, shame i have a ce1 and a ce2 so not quite an easy test as switches are different

Reply #12
CE1 switch on a rocker on the dash board
CE2 push button on top of steering coloum

Reply #13
think i solved rev counter issue, the non lite up dash board bits, and the non sounding stereo. i really hate dubbers. perhaps a little offish, but always seems to be the same stamp of car when its called a dub. but the wiring is a right mess behind the trims, an even the side vent ducts are missing, i only wanted to replace a few bulbs, but now i feel like its a dash off, place the loom where its meant to be, solder things back to how it should be, fresh mot an let someone else have it,

Reply #14
@mintysgt to upload pictures see this thread https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=119.0

I have down instructions in a picture format should be easier now.
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit