Skip to main content
Topic: White '91 Driver with 1.8T Swap (Read 2417 times) previous topic - next topic

White '91 Driver with 1.8T Swap

Pretty convoluted start to a project...

While figuring out what to do with my Rallye shell, I decided to move from the sensible choice of a 20v Turbo to the more awkward and expensive 16v Turbo. Dumb ? Absolutely. It’ll look a little more at home in the bay, and that's as good a reason as any I guess.

I got hold of a Mk3 16v and knocked it down for its ABF engine.

Almost as soon as I’d finished stripping it, a mate of mine sent me a message, along with this stunning picture, asking if I wanted a Mk2.

It was a fairly well neglected 5-Door which hadn’t been driven in a few years, but the up side was it was pretty good shell wise and had been half way converted to a 2.0 16v from a later Corrado.

This meant I could pull the 9A 16v out of the Mk2 and use that for the Rallye instead of the ABF, so the ABF was sold off to a lad with a Mk1.
The 9A is slightly shorter than the ABF and uses the same fitment con rods as the 1.8T, as opposed to ABF’s which use a longer rod with a bigger wrist pin, so I already have forged 1.8T rods on the shelf, and can keep the engine marginally lower.

I now had the dilemma of what to do with the Mk2 shell, knowing I’m going to scavenge it’s engine at the next opportunity.

I overpaid for it as 'just a donor car' and it's far too good to throw away but not worth selling as a shell, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to put a decent daily driver together for myself.

After looking around it properly, it was actually surprisingly good, a few little knocks and small scratches and chips from car parks, stone chips and age in general. so I talked myself into it being a suitable daily given it’s many doors.

I had a known-good 1.8T from a TT which I recently broke for parts, so a couple of hundred BHP and decent MPG was too good to pass up.

This is what I’m working with…

I had a look over it and took a note of the stuff I didn't really like.
Firstly, I did find a quad light grill in the back of the car which was alright.
I always think 5-Doors look better the more humble they are though, so I swapped it out.
Luckily I had a single light grill on the shelf so that was that.

It also had some questionable chrome front indicator lenses which needed to go, as fast as humanly possible, so that was next. I also fitted some new side repeaters at the same time as those were equally chav.

The eagle-eyed may have spotted it in the last pic, I starting removing the arch trims as well to go with the new vibe.
This was about the time when I noticed someone had beaten me to putting coilovers on it, so that was cool.
Not the best you can buy but a step up from the usual eBay items; It had height / damping adjustable Spax RSX coilovers fitted, so that’d do.

The last little job was to bin the red/pink Golf badge on the back and 'downgrade' it from a Driver to a CL.
I still need to sort out the red stripes on the bumpers but that'll be a job for another day.

Waiting on some bits to finish off the back to basics makeover, then it’ll be time for some wheels.

Made the new engine accessible too so I can chip away at it, it still needs a good clean too and there's some excess TT stuff to go in the bin.
It'll get the usual full cambelt kit and single mass flywheel and VR6 clutch to make sure it lasts, but I'm not sure how far to go with it.
Whatever happens it'll be solid by the time it goes together.

That’s about it for now, thanks!

Re: I’ve never seen a man eat so many chicken wings…

Reply #2
Unfortunately so, they look to be in decent nick, obviously not mint but passable for the average Mk2 with a quick wipe over, so with any luck I'll be able to swap them for some all black ones.

White Driver with 1.8T Swap - Finished!

Reply #3
Monkey swung by today for some Eibach goodies, and brought a stock set of rear lights with him, so almost back to looking 'right'.

As seen previously, it had these crystal jobbers which I wasn't too happy about.
Every time I do come across a set, they sell straight away so clearly some like them, so fair enough.

I just like the stock / base model look I guess

Got some new arch spats and front wing rub strip sections on too, so that was cool

Starting to look better now, but damnnn it needs some wheels and a ride height adjustment... hopefully that'll be soon enough

Reply #4
Had a little free time in between jobs over the past couple of weeks, so took the chance to get on with this.

Excuse the mess, it's been mad busy here

Prepped them Audi TT AUM engine to go in.
Fresh oil pump and pickup pipe, cleaned out and re-sealed the sump, and got the G60 flywheel fitted with a Borg and Beck clutch and bearing kit.
I did remove the SAI clutter and clean up this side of the engine before it went in, but I didn't grab a tonne of pictures.

Then fitted the TT box back on, as I knew it was all good

And also got a much cleaner K03S turbo from an Octavia as the old one ran fine but did have some play.
I fitted new manifold and turbo gaskets at the same time and also new copper washers for the lines and some fresh nuts and bolts,

Then picked these brand new 16x7 Steels and treated them to some powder coat

Time came to pull the 16v and stick the AUM in along with the cable change / hydro clutch stuff and Trackslag downpipe (the only option imo).

Still a bit to do, Need some black dye for the silicone TIP as it's all spotty - The TIP Hose came off my girlfriends Corrado, which unfortunately had the sight glass on the battery pop out and flick some acid around, so we replaced that and it went into the Mk2 parts pile. Hopefully it'll go black again.

Got some new number plates (it had the original dealer plates before, which I've kept, but they were second best now) and also got some Nankang 165/45r16's fitted to the steels so I could put those on

Cheers for looking :)

Reply #5
Great opportunity taken to keep another mk2 going - well done and top effort.

I like the route you're taking with the Rallye. Is the 9A engine better than the ABF then for this application? I'm researching myself about the 9A as just picked up another Corrado with the 9A installed and am looking at ways to tinker with it (cams, map sort of thing).

Reply #6
Thanks man, beats it rotting away somewhere unused for sure  :) Luckily it's still good and solid, glad I got to it in time.

9A wise, the bonus for me personally is I usually have 1.8T stuff knocking about, so with the 9A taking 1.8T rods it meant I already had some forged guys on the shelf. I guess to folks starting fresh without parts, the 9A still gives a wider or cheaper choice for decent rods so can't be a bad thing, Obviously they're a little shorter too which could help with packaging a bit, there's a whole lot of clutter that get introduced once a turbo makes its way into the bay.

Although ABF turbo parts are also readily available now, and it's been done enough to be well covered (Nige and others have it sussed) so there's not much in it but the 9A just seemed a better fit for me. You know when you can't really pin a good reason on it, but it just is?? That  :))

Reply #7
haha yes I do but sounds like it does have some advantages over the ABF (the king it seems whenever I read up!). Mine is quite low miles (88k) so am just working out what to do with it. I wasn't going to force it, just thought some KR/ABF cams and a map or something - but i didn't know 1.8t cranks fit so if i was to turbo it that could get very interesting!

Reply #8
Who does your powder coating?

Is he local/can shot blast?

I need a slam panel done in satin black.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #9
Hi mate, I usually go to Williams and Oakey in Westfield, have been going for years and are as professional as it gets. I know Ross who owns it initially through his old Mk1 Golf and E38 trips, so he is interested. This time I used a mate called Josh Brooks up in Temple Cloud who has just started up in his unit, although he has a proper oven etc. Both are on Facebook :thumbs:

I finished up all the plumbing etc on this little one the other day.

Forge MAP tube with new sensor, new coolant sensor, switched the coils out for the cleanest OEM ones I had on the shelf and fitted some Bosch plugs and some other bits and bobs. New Quantum coolant and oil/another Meyle filter now it's run for a bit too in case it had collected any dirt/dust/crap while sitting around since it came out of the TT, but it was squeaky clean.

Also changed the timing belt, tensioner, idler and water pump now I know it all works properly.

Old stuff off

New stuff in

Once that was done I stuck on an ECU with a decent remap which peaks at 17psi as a happy medium between making some power and not stressing the engine.
Behaves itself properly while pottering around too, which is always even more important than how it behaves while it's wide open.

The list of parts has gotten pretty long, but it drives great now and had its MOT yesterday which it flew through, so it was worthwhile.
Unfortunately I the plans of daily driving it has gone out of the window so I need to sell it shortly.

Put a spec list together:

Engine / Transmission
AUM 1.8T Engine from a 136k Mile Audi TT
02J 5-Speed Gearbox and Shifter from the same Audi TT
K03S Turbo from a 112k Mile Octavia VRS
Corrado G60 Hydraulic Clutch cylinders
New Oil Pump and Pick-Up Pipe
New INA Cambelt kit with tensioner and water pump
New Borg and Beck VR6 Clutch Kit with G60 Flywheel
New Turbo Gaskets, Copper Washers and Banjo Bolts
New Manifold Gasket and Nuts
New Cam Cover Gasket and sump and oil filter housing re-sealed
New Bosch Spark plugs, colder grade and gapped properly
New Quantum Semi-Synth Oil
New Meyle Oil Filter
New Quantum Longlife Coolant
New Recirc Valve
New ASH Air Filter
New Toyosports Front Mount Intercooler
New Silicone Intercooler Hoses
OEM BAM Charge Pipe
New Forge Motorsport MAP Sensor Tube
New Bosch MAP Sensor
Creations Motorsport Silicone Turbo Intake Hose
New ASH Silicone Turbo Outlet Hose
New ASH Silicone Vacuum Hoses
Trackslag Ultimate Downpipe with new gasket
New 2.5” Side Exit Exhaust with 18” Long Stainless Silencer
New Radiator
New Radiator Fan Thermoswitch
New Electric Fan
New Thermostat
New Coolant Temp Sensor
New Heatshields around Steering UJ Boot and CV Boot
Custom Re-Mapped ECU for 16psi boost at peak, so should be around 210bhp
VAG Com Port for Diagnostics behind service book flap in dash
Corrado 16v Fuel tank and Pump
New Fuel Filter
New Yuasa 063 battery
Hard plastic scuttle cover and GTI ECU cover

Chassis
Spax RSX Coilovers, Height and Damping Adjustable
New 16x7 Diamond of doom Captur Steel Wheels, powder coated in Signal Orange
New Genuine G60 Centre Caps and Wheel Bolt Covers
New 165/45r16 Nankang NS2 tyres
New Stainless Valves and Dust Caps
G60 Front hubs and 280mm Brakes
22mm Master Cylinder to match
New Mintex Front Discs and Pads
New OBP Adjustable Brake Bias Valve
Mk4 Rear Brakes
New Various Brake Pipes, Hoses and T-Pieces
New Rear Discs and Pads
New Handbrake Cables
New Brembo Brake and Clutch Fluid

Body / Interior
New Rear arch Spats
New Bosch Wiper Blades
New Number Plates (original dealer plates and key ring included)   
New Lucas amber Side Repeaters
Undercoated for additional protection (never been welded)
Black Interior
New White wooden Steering Wheel
New White Nylon Gearknob
New Boost gauge in driver’s dash vent
Alpine CD / USB Head Unit
Alpine Front Door Speakers
New Horn
New Kit-Car Windscreen Washer Bag mounted in boot

May have gotten a little carried away as it was supposed to be a quick daily driver build, I think there's about £4k in parts now.., but I wanted it to be right and I wanted it to last. Just in time to need to sell it for some boring diesel van  ::)

If you know anyone after a decent Mk2 1.8T, tell them to give me a shout  ;)

I need to give it a good clean and get some legit pictures now it's 'finished'.

Reply #10
Had a little result today, thanks to Classic VW Parts not letting Christmas slow them down, I ordered some "G60" centre caps on Sunday and they turned up yesterday, and today I had the wheel bolt covers to go with them turn up today (from elsewhere).

Breaks up the orange a lot which is welcomed, the white and orange looks sweet and saves it being boring, but they did look unfinished with no centre caps.

Things looking pretty cool, impressed with it seeing as it still hasn't had a proper clean since I got it - and it had only done 3k Miles since 2014 before then, so it did its share of sitting around collecting dust prior to coming here.

Anywho, don't really want to get rid of it now but needs must   :))

Reply #11
I know why you're selling, it's because you've fallen in love with that Nova in the background!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #12
I cannot put into words how much I would like to put an XE and some Beige wheels and Recaros onto that brown Nova... jesus, what have I become 😂

Reply #13
Finally made some room in the workshop again to give the thing a good tidy up. My personal favourite of the recent visitors!

Space has been pretty limited lately, but after a couple of hundred miles in the white one, and it's totally earned a freshen up.
It's been spot on since the first time I turned the key with the 1.8T on board, so I couldn't ask for more.

Had a quick clean around the engine bay, made easier as the bay was pressure washed out when the 16v was removed, and the engine was all clean by the time it went in and half of it is new.

Pretty pleased with it really, yeah it's not a show car, but it's tidy enough to enjoy without worrying about stone chips and tiny scratches.

Hope whoever it ends up with drives it everywhere  8)

On that note though, we did give it it's first actual clean since getting it, and presumably in the previous few years.
After a bog standard wash we gave it a super quick rub with a clay bar and a real stingey wipe over, by hand, with some cheap Auto Glym SRP - so hardly a proper polish or detailing session - but it's like a different car.

Still not got any proper pictures of it yet but again I'm chuffed with how it's come together. Thanks for looking :)

Reply #14
* Edited posts to make it easier to read through and cut a little of the waffling on.

Finally got some pictures of it cleaned up, relatively at least, someone who knows what they're doing could do better I'm sure.

Again pretty happy with the ol' girl, will be a shame to see it go.

Thanks for looking :)