Skip to main content
Topic: Car History and milage verification (Read 529 times) previous topic - next topic

Car History and milage verification

Hello everyone, I have bought a lovely little Mk2 GTI 8v on a B reg late 84 plate. The car came with no history what so ever and was just wondering if anyone knew any ways I can get some history on the car, the mileage is suspiciously low being 8485, I did a MOT check on the GOV site and the last MOT was in 2006 and the milage was at 7,277. I would be seriously floored if the mileage was geniune and was just hoping there are any ways to check history or if there are any tricks to telling if the mileage has been clocked or the panel has been swapped out in the past. The car was sat up since 2007 at the earliest in a garage for most of time and there is hardly any rust to be seen for the most part and I havent had the chance to crack open the engine to look at the condition of the cylinders or the pistions just yet but I am planning on it once I have the car to a place I can get working on it as its a non runner due to the fuel pump in the tank has given up.

I'm no stanger to a spanner but this is my first VW older than 2000 and my first time ever coming across a K-Jet fuel system so any and all advice will be very much appreciated when it comes to things to check on it as well any info anyone can give me about finding history ect.

sorry if this post is in the wrong place and thanks in advance to everyone, I look foward to picking your brains and sharing my woes once my little resto starts

Re: Car History and milage verification

Reply #1
Maybe share full picture of car and numberplate, then some previous owners may know some history. and if its only done 8k miles in 36 years can only assume it totally mint.   my 88 plate has limited mot history , only since i purchased it to honest....... so what was it doing before me....https://www.regit.cars/car/f413jtm/interested. i know a previous owner contacted me via old forum...

https://www.vehiclestats.co.uk/registration/F413JTM

Re: Car History and milage verification

Reply #2
Welcome and congrats, Eddypeck is your man for KJet , he seems to have had every problem you can get with the thing... with regards to history I don’t think there is a lot you can do unless you have old service history books or mot certs.... even dealer history doesn’t help much as they will not go back that far ... previous keepers are your best bet...