Skip to main content
Topic: OE smell... (Read 674 times) previous topic - next topic

OE smell...

We've all our own thing when it comes to our cars and no one preference is any more valid than an other, it's just personal choice.

I lean towards the original, standard look, but I've also a weakness for a few 'period' modifications.

When I say 'look' I mean that in very general terms, I don't get too hung up on something not actually being 30 years old. I'm happy to use a new, reproduction part if originals aren't available or too costly.

Which leads me on to this... When I was giving the 205 a tidy up, one job lead to another and in reality the interior is now virtually brand new... all the big things like the under lay, seats, carpet etc.

That makes it all the more odd that it still smells exactly like it did (not that, that's anything bad) before 90% of it was replaced.

My sister had a 205 GR decades ago and it's the same smell as this one, there must be a 1980's Peugeot odour.

It's the same with the MK2... I'd a few when they were still quite new and my 8v has that same distinctive smell, though it's probably helped by being still 100% original.

Or am I talking ball bags?

Re: OE smell...

Reply #2
I have the original rubber mats for mine and when I put them in it seems to smell newer, and of rubber of course. But then again I just spent an hour looking for my glasses which were on the top of my head ....when you are old and start to smell of wee, do you become immune to the smell??

Reply #3
When you find your glasses, I'd double check the bathroom... you've likely got VW ones around the bowl and pink ones in the car.

Reply #4
I reckon it's nothing more romantic than the plastics they use now which are still settling down and evapourating all the toxic compounds that go into making them!!  If you sit in a well old motor that has proper leather seats and lashings of wood then you certainly get a distinctive smell (imagine what they were like when new!!) and any Lotus or TVR from the 80's & 90's just smells of glue....................... Sadly, our cars were built at a time when nothing smelt of anything in particular apart from rubber mats and old man wee :D
1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D