Skip to main content
Topic: Bluetooth cassette adapter... (Read 1436 times) previous topic - next topic

Bluetooth cassette adapter...

Anyone use one?

Looks like there's wired and wireless versions, I'd prefer the second.

Plenty of different ones about, plus plenty of good and bad reviews, so hard to know what to think.

This is the first that Google threw up, no reason for picking it other than that...

Amazon

Re: Bluetooth cassette adapter...

Reply #1
Years ago  a colleague had one at work. Seemed to work well.
if you are handy with a soldering iron you might want to consider modding the radio to have Bluetooth. There are several methods and you can buy all the bits premade on the internet.  Theres a few videos on YouTube also.
If its not got a VAG badge, I aint interested.

Reply #2
If you want to hide the technology in the car, you could use a Parrot hands free kit.
It interrupts the ISO power and speaker connections and takes over.
That gives you Bluetooth, phone charging and USB etc in, while leaving your dash standard (unless you want to fit the screen.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Cheers, the stereo in the car's so old it's just got a positive / earth and the now defunct dot/dash speaker plugs... no aux. or 3.5 jack - will have to look a bit more into using something like a Parrot.

The cassette adapter caught my eye as I don't want to have to start taking anything out again or re-doing the wiring, it was a real bugger to get in. Down side is it looks like pot luck whether or not it'll work as advertised judging from quite a few of the reviews.

Was going to just buy old cassettes on eBay, but have you seen the price of them... obviously making a comeback!

Avoiding eBay like the plague anyhow... so, so bad (even more so than usual) this last while.

Will try and remember to give an update after a while, in case anyone else is tempted to get one.

Reply #4
Funny you should say this, I've been looking at the same. There's wired version as well as the bluetooth ones. But I wouldn't want a wire hanging out the front of the head unit.

I have an old Alpine with M-bus 6 disc, I've seen adpaters I can use but that would be instead of the CD changer - but I know I woulnd't want to always rely on my phone for music so would like to keep the chager as backup. So one of these cassette things might be ideal, cheap too.

So I'm weighing up my options too. Keep up updated with what you decide to do.

Reply #5
Funny you should say this, I've been looking at the same. There's wired version as well as the bluetooth ones. But I wouldn't want a wire hanging out the front of the head unit.

I have an old Alpine with M-bus 6 disc, I've seen adpaters I can use but that would be instead of the CD changer - but I know I woulnd't want to always rely on my phone for music so would like to keep the chager as backup. So one of these cassette things might be ideal, cheap too.

So I'm weighing up my options too. Keep up updated with what you decide to do.

I have a Bluetooth adaptor plugged into the cassette players changer input on the Tt, if it helps there is a switch to change form the adaptor to the cd changer if you wish

Reply #7
i have the 1 above , from Asda sub £10. works ok.. connects to mobile no bother. the only issue is the microphone is on the cable and does not pick up voice very well in my mk4 golf .  but seems better in mk2/1 as radio placed higher in dash. get easily 5hrs use on a charge,

Reply #8
Not that worried about the hands free mic aspect, so good to know it works well otherwise.

Presumably not, but my first thought was would the mic lead not get pinched or jam once the adapter drops down in, as a normal cassette does?

Typical... did shop around, but must've missed the ASDA price!

Reply #10
Well it arrived today... I went for the exact one shown above, though sounds like you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere!

Works a treat... no issue with connection, nor volume control as highlighted in some of the reviews.

The sound quality is on a par with standard cassettes, though I'm the first to admit it's an old set with low powered speakers so my expectations aren't too high.

I'm going to guess the differing opinions are possibly down to its compatibility with your head unit and/or phone?

In my case it's spot on, but unfortunately that's not something you'll find out until it's bought.

I'm not even going to try to use the hands free feature, cassettes drop down when loaded and I can't see how it wouldn't foul the mechanism.

Battery life's an unknown yet, but most reviews don't think it's an issue and even it's limited you can't have everything.

So, for straightforward music streaming, based on my experience so far I'd recommend it.

Reply #11
Interesting you say about quality on par with a cassette. I remember in the old days having to get a bit of meths on a cotton bud and cleaning the crud off the head. As the tape is constantly rubbing against the pick up head it deposits debris. I wonder if your sound quality could be improved a bit ??

Reply #12
I've played around with this some more since the last post and after fine tuning the settings on the radio (it's got a graphic equaliser!) I think I've probably been a little unfair to it as far as sound quality goes. When I said it sounds like a normal cassette that was actually a compliment.

The nearest thing I can compare it to is one of those Soundcore bluetooth mini speakers, which again is to say very good.

Some of the reviews mention tape hiss etc... yes, if the volume is very low you can hear the mechanism rotating just as a normal cassette would but at usual levels I can't say I notice it.

I don't know why there is a mechanical aspect to it as there's no actual tape, I'm guessing it's needed by the old stereo to function.

It came partially charged (don't know by how much) which I ran down to 0% and it's already back up to 70% after 30 mins. though it seems to be stuck there. Comes with a short charging lead but no plug.

If I had a niggle it's that after 15 mins of inactivity it switches itself off, presumably to save battery. Before that happens you can turn the stereo on and off as much as you like and it'll keep connected. After that however you have to eject it, switch it off, then on again / re-insert and then connect to your phone once more.

Reply #13
Like mine mentioned above, it charges from standard usb connection so cig lighter... cant do that whilst in use (on mine) and yes does disconnect after inactivity, this is a good thing. keeps the battery life.  Try reducing the volume of the media via the phone say 80% and then turn volume up on the stereo , seems to work better that way on my car.