Skip to main content
Topic: '88 Helios Blue Golf GTi - Project (Read 986 times) previous topic - next topic

'88 Helios Blue Golf GTi - Project

Hi All,

Welcome to my project thread! I recently purchased this 1 family owner from new - Dad for 6 months and Son for the last 30 odd years.  The owner was sad to see it go and had it laid up for the last 5 years in his barn and it is now at the stage where it needs TLC and its first ever bits of welding.

I spoke to the owner for hours and discussed the car warts and all and knew what I was buying. He sorted me out lots of pictures and was an all round honest chap. As a silver lining the proceeds from the sale went to a charity he supported. I'm happy to confirm now it has been delivered it is as I expected - a car that has mechanically been looked after but wants TLC. It is well used and loved but now needs welding, paint and a tidy up. The owner self confessed cleaning was not his forte.

Job list - hole in the sill area, probably front jack points, wings, boot lid, front and rear valances, scuttle. I suspect there is rust under the GTI trims. A full repaint will be done once the metal is all solid again. The only part I didn't spot was the front chassis legs are a bit crusty right up front so may need patching. Doesn't spreadback anywhere near the subrame points though (phew).

This is my second project, following my Corrado VR6 which wasn't has bad to start with but has had lots of work done at Stealth Racing and a full repaint. My Recaro seat fund for that car has gone to purchase this Golf but who needs Recaros anyway right?!

Some Pictures of the car

For some reason the radio was wired up loosely installed where the glovebox was supposed to be ...

And a couple of the Corrado

Before respray but looks nice in pics

Respray (in progress right now)

Re: '88 Helios Blue Golf GTi - Project

Reply #1
And now for the close ups of the bad bits that need welding! The plan is to sort all of this out before anything - starting with the underside first. Opinions greatly received, anything you think is saveable let me know as I'm just thinking cut out and weld repacement panels.

Floorplans are ok (flaking underseal aside)

Hole in sill area near front jack point

Jacking point area has seen better days - opinions? I'm planning cut out and weld?

The other jacking point

Rear rails - seem ok to me once tidied up and sealed

Scuttle - note dash cracked so a good time to replace the dash then :D

Valance. Note the exhaust looks like it hangs low which I had assumed was a rotten hanger but it's all present. Maybe the rubber is too stretchy.

Reply #3
Looks like a good base car, can't wait for further updates.

Thanks Nige. It will start slow as I'm moving house and the car is stored at my mums.

Had the car running today and drove it about down their lane - drives nicely, clutch is high but is the original and there is no power steering ha!

Reply #5
Looks like a good base for the project, bet the old owners will be chuffed when they see the result.

Also, we have a non-mk2 car section, why not get some photos of the Corrado up there? :D
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Baby steps.. the mk2 is now at my house.

Ahead of it is finishing up the Corrado and getting that out of the garage where this mk2 will be stripped back to a shell and fixed up. The red golf needs service items, tyres and then off to get an MOT. Daily driver mk4 turbo died last weekend so hands are full.

I managed to get a rough seat with the same pattern from Dubstock awaitng delivery, hoping to salvage bits of it to save my seats.