Skip to main content
Topic: Hi (Read 677 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi

Hi guys,

Just bought a 1 family ownder from new Helios blue Golf GTi. The father owned it for 6 months and the son until today.

It is a bit of project but it's honesty drew me in. Complelely original and stacks of service history, mostly VW! It has been laid up in a barn for the last 5 years.

I'll crack open a readers ride thread, I'm ok with mechanicals but will have to pay out for welding work ... of which it definitely needs some! I'll be searching for welders who can do the sills near the jacking points and i suspect at least one jacking point too, plus the rear valance, front valance, scuttle, battery tray and well the chassis legs don't look wonderful. So plenty to keep us busy.

Re: Hi

Reply #2
Sounds like a decent project, I look forward to seeing the pics!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Nyob zoo thiab txais tos rau lub club!

Reply #5
Thanks for the welcome guys, it is a 1988 registered car (F -reg) but doesn't have the rainbow interior or the alloys of the campaign. Instead it has those tear drop style alloys in desparate need of refurb (well the whole car needs work actually!) and has the checker blue and yellow cloth interior.

It is a lovely car and I'm collecting parts for the work needed. First steps will be to get a solid foundation so sort out all the unseen rusty bits!

Readers ride coming and looking forward to being part of the community.

Reply #6
Sounds like a decent genuine example, the "one in the mil" were mostly E plate, In theory it would only be the very odd chance of one sitting around in a dealer unregistered that made it onto an F plate although I've never seen or heard of an F plate one. Although I'm on my 3rd white one, Helios is one of my favourite colours. I had a helios one in ten, but it was too far gone.

Reply #7
I'll check out your readers ride post Eddy but sounds nice. I do like white (my Corrado is Candy White) but I was drawn in by the colour on the Golf (and I didn't want another white VW as my family car is also white!)

The car was registered on 23 August 1988 so quite early for an F, I thought about ringing up VW customer service to find out. It does have tinted rear lights which I understand is not the right spec for an 8v but these could have been added later.

The best way I could describe the car is that it has been loved mechancially and well used but not cleaned to a high standard and anything that got damaged in the last 30 years got left (dent on the wing for example, rear valance has hit a post on something). Alloys are heavily corroded - looks like they were diamond cut at one point.

It hasn't had any accidents and no welding ever but is now at a stage where it really needs TLC in the common areas (valances, scuttle, wings, hole in the sill, jacking points present but underseal flaked on one and rust is showing, floorplan otherwise in great condition). Laqueur peel on the bootlid (warranty repair back in the day i'm told) and bonnet and various door dings on the side. It has a clean MOT history for rust and anyhting advised was sorted.

I really enjoy the journey restoring cars though!

Reply #8
Hi and welcome,
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit