Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one! (Read 6945 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one!

Reply #45
I've been braving the cold this week and got a fair bit done. Started off by removing all the dust from the engine bay and cleaning and reoiling the induction kit foam. I think eventually I'll need to get a replacement, but they're quite expensive!

I also spent a lot of time fitting the new underlay kit as well as new door membranes. Here's my workspace this week:

And here's some pics of progress:

You'll notice one piece is a different colour on one side of the handbrake cable underlay. It turns out they sent me two duplicate pieces!

All fitted, although I did have a bit of a mare fitting the drivers seat back in and had to make some adjustment; which was rather annoying after spending all day on it!

Some additional sound deadening for inside the doors, this has made a huge difference already to resonance:

And finally, door membranes. Not pretty, but they'll do the job:

Next up is refitting all the trim pieces and carpets. I'll also be adding a few more sheets of sound deadening in the back.

Reply #46
Now there's a thought. I've got some spare sound deadening matting so I may add that to the doors now I need to sort out my membranes.
With a bit of luck it may give that satisfying thud of a newer car when I close the doors :D
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #47
Now there's a thought. I've got some spare sound deadening matting so I may add that to the doors now I need to sort out my membranes.
With a bit of luck it may give that satisfying thud of a newer car when I close the doors :D

Adding that deadening has definitely made a noticeable difference, so I would recommend adding a few strips here and there. I've also added a few bits behind where the rear door cards would go. I've loads left over and I'm not sure what to do with it!

Reply #48
Interesting. Sound deadening is not something I’d ever considered, but if it makes a noticeable difference then feels like a no-brainier. If you want to sell your leftovers, once you’ve done everything you need to, I’d be interested!
Also, the sill vinyl that didn’t fit... Do you mind me asking where that came from? I need to refit one very soon and keen to avoid buying one that isn’t the right size.
The car is looking great btw, inspiration for what mine could look like one day!

Reply #49
Interesting. Sound deadening is not something I’d ever considered, but if it makes a noticeable difference then feels like a no-brainier. If you want to sell your leftovers, once you’ve done everything you need to, I’d be interested!
Also, the sill vinyl that didn’t fit... Do you mind me asking where that came from? I need to refit one very soon and keen to avoid buying one that isn’t the right size.
The car is looking great btw, inspiration for what mine could look like one day!

It's definitely worth doing mate, a little goes a long way. I'll give you a shout if I want to shift some sheets, I think I've got about 15 sheets left.

The sill vinyl was from BrownsStickers on Ebay. I spoke to them afterwards and they said that they wouldn't have fit because they were incorrectly applied by the bodyshop. They sent me another set of stickers (for free) that I'm going to try and get fitted by a local vinyl wrapping place. I shall post up an update if this is a success second time around.

And thanks mate, it has been a long journey with a lot of money spent!

Reply #50
Brilliant - fingers crossed it fits this time! I’ll keep an eye out for updates. Thanks for the info.
And yes please shout if you want to sell on a few spare soundproofing sheets. Either way, I’m thinking of giving the sound proofing a whirl at some point this year, seems like a good move having read your comments

Reply #51
So, a quick update to keep the ball rolling...

I did manage to get the interior more or less back together, all the carpet and dashboard are now back together.. Still a few little bits of trim and fittings to add back but that'll be done very soon hopefully.

I also quickly installed my new headunit, which I'll get a proper picture of soon.. I've of course set the colour scheme to green to match the rest of the stock interior bulbs. For now, here it is without the faceplate..

Also managed to fit another heater panel as my old one was snapped and barely held together. Bonus for this one is the bulb actually works!

Unfortunately, at this point I'd noticed a leak in the passenger footwell. Some of you will be aware that I've had issues with water coming in through the heater blower intake.. However upon closer inspection I'd discovered that my new windscreen and seal were leaking!

I'd got in contact with the bodyshop that had the car immediately and it's now back with them to address the issue. I had done a bit of research into good seals and it seems that the screens from Classic VW (Mark Carter) come highly recommended. We're currently waiting for these to arrive from Germany after numerous "Brexit related delays" in shipping, much to mine and Mark's frustration!

And I'd like to give you a quick 'sneak peek' at my new interior, some of you will already be aware of what I've got planned but here's a pic:

Reply #52
you are going to have to wash your hands before you get in the car every time now.. no grubby mitts on the seats

Reply #53
I've now got the car back with a much better fitting windscreen seal and after some heavy rain the past couple of days, it appears to be doing the job.. I can't see any leaks so touch wood it seems to be all sorted.

This weekend I've been fitting my new interior, made bespoke for me by Retro Retrims.. I'm really happy with how it has turned out but it does need some adjustments on the door cards as they don't fit very well in the window scrapers, this should be sorted soon though! I also managed to get round to fitting my custom winders to match the gear knob.

The seats are excellent, they're way more comfortable and supportive than the OEM ones. I do have an issue with my aftermarket bases however, they're as far forward as they'll go and it's a bit of a stretch for me to shift gears. Further modification required I reckon....

Anyway, here's some pics:

Reply #54
Very, very tasteful... bet you've randomly been going out to the car just to sit on them!

Reply #55
Very, very tasteful... bet you've randomly been going out to the car just to sit on them!

Thanks mate, I went for a OEM style and it looks stunning. I did go out for a drive today just for the hell of it, it would be rude not to!  :))

Reply #56
ah this really is mega..

i barely check the forum but its good to see your progress being documented..

get on ClubGTI and this will be very popular

Reply #57
The amount of work that had gone in to this car since it first appeared on this forum til now is phenomenal!

Always admired it and even more so now. Stunning 👌

Reply #58
The amount of work that had gone in to this car since it first appeared on this forum til now is phenomenal!

Always admired it and even more so now. Stunning 👌

Thanks mate, I've certainly chucked a fair few pounds and pence at the car to get it where it is today. I can't wait to start going to shows in it to be honest. Here's hoping we get a chance this year.

Reply #59
The seats look awesome, they really suit it. I can imagine they would make a real difference to your enjoyment of the driving experience too!