Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one! (Read 7095 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one!

Reply #15

I'd recommend going for a solid front engine mount and refreshing the rear ones.
You can get G60 rear mounts that will bolt up to your subframe and will wear a lot better than the standard 8v one.

Some people don't like a solid mount, but I've always used them with standard crossmember bushes and never had a problem.

I'll look into this mate, any recommendation on solid front mount? I've seen that Bahn Brenner (BBM) do a good looking one.
There's a guy who makes them from aircraft grade aluminium.

I always use this guy...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk2-VR6-front-solid-engine-mount/193527869087?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225114%26meid%3D1b4b02ab97284c43b1605de9870f6bad%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D193527869087%26itm%3D193527869087%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DVolkswagen&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa3c09c2f-bc61-11ea-bbf1-74dbd1803a1a%7Cparentrq%3A0f8dba241730aa66d05aa197fffc30a2%7Ciid%3A1

This one is for a VR mount, drop him a message and see if he has any normal mk2 mounts in stock.

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #16
Minor update for the weekend, I managed to fit the RS's to the car and they do look excellent, although I know the stretch/width isn't to everyone's taste... I also fit some McGard Locking wheel bolts with black tips for some added security.

Aside from this, I've heard from the trimmers and my Interior should be done by the end of the month so that's exciting. Currently waiting on some good replacement arches but I'm still looking for some good roof gutters!

Also waiting for some quotes on welding, sent off a few emails today.

Anyway, here's some pics:

Reply #17
New wheels look great.

Are they 15 or 16? Assume you haven't got power steering on yours (I haven't on my '88) - are they much heavier on slow speed stuff?

Cheers
Matt

Reply #18
New wheels look great.

Are they 15 or 16? Assume you haven't got power steering on yours (I haven't on my '88) - are they much heavier on slow speed stuff?

Cheers
Matt

Jumping in on Tom's behalf as the car used to be mine once upon a time (https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=231.0) Yes it does have Power Steering. This one, and my previous 87 both had it. An 88 I had didn't but current 91 does. On earlier cars I believe it was an optional extra, I gather on the later spec cars it became fitted as standard. So it's very much hit and miss if the cars had it or not.

Reply #19
New wheels look great.

Are they 15 or 16?

Thanks mate!

They're 15s. Running 8J on the front, 8.5J on the back so a fair step up in width from the 7J Ronals. Offset is a very low number, haven't calculated it properly yet but they seem to fit the car very well.

And as Tim (Eddypeck) says, it does have PAS!

Reply #20
Eddypeck's Project Lunchbreak car still running!  :))

May I ask where you sourced a replacement rear valance? and is it the whole rear end repair section, or just the lower section below the bumper you've got?

Reply #21

May I ask where you sourced a replacement rear valance? and is it the whole rear end repair section, or just the lower section below the bumper you've got?

I've got just the lower visible section for below the bumper mate, as well as the rear arch sections where they wrap around.

I got them from heritage, the middle section looks good but outer bits look like they'll need a lot of fettling to work.. may not use those bits.

Reply #22
This looks lovely - any updates?

Reply #23
Thought I'd post up a long overdue update.

I managed to find a few vacuum leaks doing visual checking, the worst of which was the O ring on the Idle air screw.  I'd only noticed this as I'd fiddled with the Idle screw and come back to it a few days later to see that it had moved on its own! Fixing this seems to have made a fair difference to running. I think I'll do a test with a smoke machine to see if there are any more leaks that need addressing.

I also removed the carpet since the last update to get an idea of how much welding the car needed and unfortunately found more areas that need to be sorted. It's in for welding work now and potentially a full respray + underseal. I'll post up some pics as and when I receive some updates!

Reply #24
So.. there has been some updates from the body shop.. First of all, here some before pics and some crusty finds.

Rear valance

The rear valance was basically made of filler and I'd instructed them to cut it out and weld in a new panel, here's what they found once cutting it out.

Fuel door area

I'd also instructed them to cut out the fuel door area and replace it with a new panel, as it was starting to go around the rubber seal around the fuel cap, they cut it out and found the following unfortunately... We're still discussing on how to go about fixing this as they're aren't any off the shelf panels available yet.

In case you can't tell. It has been poorly repaired in the past and even has some form of sealant moulded in with the welds.

And now for progress:

Rear valance repaired

A new panel was welded in as well as using some of the new panels for the corner sections.

Rear badge

Bubbling around the VW badge meant that it had to be removed and ground back to clean metal.

The windscreen scuttle panel

Rust in two places needed to be addressed, under the seal under the drivers side and the usual rust around the wiper spindle. This has been ground back to clean metal and the new panel provided was not required. Channel behind the windscreen seal has also been tidied.

Drivers door sill, underneath sill sticker

I had noticed some bubbling under the sill sticker in this area, so I'd asked them to take a look. Here's what they found:

Drivers door

Unfortunately, I also had some nasty scabbing on my drivers door. A section has been completely cut out and a new section has been welded in. I was a little bit bothered that they kept the rubbing strip on but I suppose it is what it is..

That's all for now, there will be plenty more welding and bodywork updates to come.. In the meantime, does anybody have any advice regarding that nasty fuel filler area?

Reply #25
Nice neat welding and minimal filler, looks like they are doing a quality job. Wish mine was as neat

Today I found some more of the dreaded rust on mine, bottom of the windscreen driver's side and a few holes round the bottom of the fuel filler cap. Oh 8u993r. Looking at the fuel filler pic above confirms what I have found out. It IS a double skin, I'd been trying to keep the arches clean and thought it was a single skin...so how has the moisture got in there?
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Re: 1986 8v GTI restoration - The rust repairs continue

Reply #26
Here's a few more pictures of progress at the body shop. Worth noting, I managed to find a good cut of a panel for the inner fuel door area thanks to Brendon Moss.

I've got new vinyl stickers, arches and a few other fitting here that I need to drop down to them to finish the car off too.

Few bits left to do and then the car will be prepped and put in the booth for paint!

Reply #27
Coming along nicely there. Depressing finding the rust but at least now you've found it you'll be good for another 25+ years :)

Re: 1986 8v GTI restoration - Respray almost complete!

Reply #28
Had some pics sent through yesterday of the car prepped for paint. Apparently, it'll be in the booth on Monday!  :D

I managed to drop off the new trim. So it'll all go back together nicely.

Anyway, here's some pics in primer:

Almost there! I'll drop some pics when it's all back together.

Reply #29
Bet you're getting excited!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt