Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one! (Read 7038 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 1986 8v GTI restoration - You may recognise this one!

Reply #60
Bit of a gap since I've put up an update, but since the last update I've done a few bits and bobs. From what I can remember:

The interior went back to the re-trimmer to just get everything fitting properly, this included trimming back some foam on the door cards and removing the rear windows and refitting the seals so they'd fit nicely over the rear door cards. A few pics (note a few grubby fingerprints, since removed!):

I also fit a Dreadnought Customs sound deadening kit for the bonnet, a really nice fit but I did cock it up a little bit in the centre:

I gave the car an oil change as well to keep on top of things too.

I've still got an issue with cold running and idling, I had worked on the car with another member @cupracraig and we have found that the Idle air boost solenoid relay wasn't in the correct slot on the fuse box. We'd swapped this over into the correct slot, with the expert guidance of RubJohnny and a few resources on here. We thought we fixed the issue, but unfortunately it still persists!

I'm thinking at the moment of swapping out the engine and binning off anything to do with KJET, either for a BAM 20v or 3.2 VR6... I'm leaning more towards the 3.2 swap having owned a Mk4 R32 but going out for a spin in @cupracraig 20v has me torn.. Either way, I'm in talks with Fabless Manufacturing in Canada at the moment for their VR6 conversion bits, they look quite good. Has anyone had any experience with their stuff?

Here's a few more pics I took after a clean:

Reply #61
You don’t have an idle stabilisation valve so not sure what rely you’ve swapped!

Pop up to mine some time if you want me to take a look. I’ve still got my fuel pressure tester. You have an adjustable 16v WUR fitted rather than an 8v one, perhaps some fine tuning is required.

Reply #62
You don’t have an idle stabilisation valve so not sure what rely you’ve swapped!

Pop up to mine some time if you want me to take a look. I’ve still got my fuel pressure tester. You have an adjustable 16v WUR fitted rather than an 8v one, perhaps some fine tuning is required.

Oops, I meant the Idle air boost solenoid next to intake boot. Will amend accordingly.

Maybe tuning is required, but so many people have looked at it now it seems like a losing battle!

The green/brown relay for it was wrongly in slot 4 on the fusebox, which according to diagrams is for an upshift indicator.. only found on very early clocks AFAIK.

Reply #63

Oops, I meant the Idle air boost solenoid next to intake boot. Will amend accordingly.

Maybe tuning is required, but so many people have looked at it now it seems like a losing battle!

The green/brown relay for it was wrongly in slot 4 on the fusebox, which according to diagrams is for an upshift indicator.. only found on very early clocks AFAIK.

@Eddypeck we did note that the solinoid was not working, putting in a new relay got this triggering again, so i'm thinking that its now out of tune at cold start. Once its got a few degrees of temp into it, it seems to idle and run lovely

Reply #64
You know Craig, so you're you local to us then?
If so, you're welcome to have a look around my 3.2 at some point.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #65
You know Craig, so you're you local to us then?
If so, you're welcome to have a look around my 3.2 at some point.

Yes mate, not far from Craig. I'm in Weston.

Would be good to see your car in person to get an idea what the swap is like. I'll drop you a message on FB.

Reply #66
Yeah, that's good, I'm over in Shepton Mallet, so not far.
Drop me a message and we'll work something out.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #67
Re: Fabless, I have picked up there v5 engine, gear box and peddle mounts. All look to be to a good standard and pieces of art.

Just keep an eye out on the currency rates and you'll probably have import fees to pay as well, there are online calculators. Every now and then they will do a discount code as well