Skip to main content
Topic: New but not so new (Read 638 times) previous topic - next topic

New but not so new

Hello!

I'm new but not so new. Was in the old site for a while but never posted anything as I hadn't done anything with my car!

Bought a 1991 3 door black Gti 16v completely standard a couple of years ago and due to house building/finishing and shed building it sat under a cover for the whole time. Only last week I finished the shed and managed to get it to its new home 20m away and finally get its cover off. After 2 years and quick recharge of the battery it fired up straight away and burbled away. Love the smell of it! Reversed it the into the garage and thats where it sits!

The car itself is in pretty good condition, previous owner spent a lot of time and money returning it to standard and carrying out the various age related repairs at a classic car restorer who did it on the side. Unfortunately I don't think mk2's were there area of speciality as although they put completly new suspension, bushes, brakes, underseal, bit of welding and spray over they didn't look at the inner wings. I found this out when I was greeted with a puddle of water in the foot well! A bit of investigation with a screw driver, hose and presto, rust and holes and water gushing in!

Now its in the shed, I plan to strip it back to find the extent of the corrosion and make a plan from there.

Thats the biggest issue with the car, other than that there are a few minor issues, LCD MFA is a bit blotchy, have a new one to fit, rear wheel bearings either need tightening or replaced, flashing coolant light, have a new bottle and sensor to fit. Door card membranes replaced.

Over the next few months will be tackling the various bits and bobs to get it ready and have it out on the road.

I like the standard look, however temped to go a bit lower and move up a size of wheel from the standard BBS RA 15".

Will see how it goes.

Re: New but not so new

Reply #1
Hi and welcome.

Looking forward to seeing the progress :)

Shelly
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #2
Is there a way of uploading pictures?

Reply #3
Hi Welcome,

There is a couple of ways to add photos see: https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=119.0

Or if you can host the pictures somewhere, you can add the link to the file but you need to use the full editor, not just the quick reply box at the bottom of the thread.

I started a free Wordpress site, you get 5GB of space so I upload my pictures there and grab the link. In therory once you have the URL of an image it can be displayed so could be from a Facebook post, Amazon storeage, Google photos etc. Hope that helps