Skip to main content
Topic: New heater blower very weak! (Read 984 times) previous topic - next topic

New heater blower very weak!

Hey guys

Hoping someone can help us. I’ve got a 1.8 mk2 auto and the fan fuse was blowing. So I replaced the fan and it now works but is just very weak? My resistor pack is clearly gone because setting 1-3 don’t work, but I don’t think that should effect setting 4?

Anyone else had it where the blower fan barely blows?

Have also check with thin paper and it is definitely  blowing not sucking air in.

Re: New heater blower very weak!

Reply #1
If the foam have come off of the direction flaps, as is common the air flow will be dispersed. You won’t get very good heat from it as it can’t separate from cold air. That could be the issue, but if it gets hot and you can control where the air comes from then you maybe need a new fan.

Reply #2
If the foam have come off of the direction flaps, as is common the air flow will be dispersed. You won’t get very good heat from it as it can’t separate from cold air. That could be the issue, but if it gets hot and you can control where the air comes from then you maybe need a new fan.

Okay nice I will check these flaps because I did notice it was difficult to get any sort of strong flow from any vent. How can I check these?

Reply #5
Take a look at this guide. It should make more sense.
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=63.0

Ah mate this is priceless thank you. Glad to see it can be done without removing the dash! Will buy some adhesive foam and get it sorted!!

When I look inside the dash from the radio hole, I can see this sort of white sock thing on one of the pipes going to dash vent. Do you think this was some previous attempt to keep the foam from blowing out?

Reply #6
No, that sock is standard on all mk2s, I believe it is a form of condensation prevention.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #7
Had a crack at it today! Both panels had no foam on them at all! Replaced both with some thick heat/sound proof foam, worked a treat

Thanks for the advice. Only thing I noticed was the demister vents are no where near as powerful as the face/body vents when selected. Any thoughts ?

Reply #8
Where the upright part of the heater box joins the dash can sometimes deform, or the dash itself can delaminate there so you don’t get a perfect seal. You should be able to see this bit by taking the stereo out to see what I mean. You could be losing some of the hot air behind the dash if it’s not all going to the vents.

Reply #9
Where the upright part of the heater box joins the dash can sometimes deform, or the dash itself can delaminate there so you don’t get a perfect seal. You should be able to see this bit by taking the stereo out to see what I mean. You could be losing some of the hot air behind the dash if it’s not all going to the vents.

Will give it a whirl!

Reply #10
Do you mean this Tim?

Dash underside

When I had my dash out I found mine had deformed so reinforced with modelling plastic card and gave the surounding area a coat of diluted PVA solution. When I put it back together I used some window insulation tape to seal the join.

If you do take the dash out you may want to do the following. Best do it whilst it's out.

Check the double skinned "card" hasn't come adrift especially on the windscreen edge which will affect demisting.

Also shake the dash so the remnants of heater foam come out.....I didn't realise there would be so much in there until my wife complained about the sticky dust on the kitchen floor!...Maybe do it outside?

ENJOY! ........
I'm going through the dropped headlining trauma atm...That will be something else for you to look forward to.....pita.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel