Skip to main content
Topic: Heater box foam replacement (Read 2344 times) previous topic - next topic

Heater box foam replacement

Thanks to macmillions.

So this morning I thought before the apocalyptic weather comes in, I'll get cracking on a few jobs that have been niggling for years!

Firstly, the heater doesn't heat anything more than tepid. The matrix has been flushed (twice) in the past, all the hoses get hot properly, it's had new genuine thermostats, a new rad, water pump and dash temp sensor, so it can only point to one thing:
The foam in the heater box.

So, time to get cracking!
Firstly, remove the bottom parts of the dash (driver's and passenger side storage areas.) A number of screws into the upper dash and centre console. Remember which screws went where, as a couple are different lengths and the thread is different.
Remove gear knob errr knob, by undoing it anticlockwise, pop off the gear gaitor and undo the single screw towards the front. The centre console can now be removed by pulling it forward and manoevering over the gear knob.
The heater tunnel (or whatever it's called) is now exposed.
Unscrew the one remaining screw on the right hand side of the heater tunnel, this will free the lower section and some wiggling will allow that to be removed (Tip: push down into the carpet to give yourself that tiny bit of room required to get it out.)

You should be left with this, the heater diverter box:

^^^ I have already removed the black plastic nuts either side of the heater diverter box.

If you're like me, you'll be scratching your head wondering why it wont come out!

Remove the 8mm hex bolts either side of the dash:

One in the centre section (basically above the heater diverter box)

One under the glove box.

This will give a bit of movement to the dash with will be imperitive later.

Remove these screws from the dash vents:

The dash vents shall now pop out (note the little clips on the bottom of them, so push them up into the dash to aid their removal.)

This is what you should be left with:

Remove it by lots of wiggling, making sure the ducts are free from the pipework, this is where that extra movement in the dash is so important.

Have a beer to celebrate getting it out.

This was the state of our diverter flap. It should be covered in foam!

I used toolbox liner foam to cover it back up. But you can use anything, so long as air can't pass through it. Gaffa tape will do the job lol!

Tuh dah!

Also, if you open this flap by adjusting the direction of air flow using the dash control you will see behind to this:

This is the hot/cold diverter flap. Again, should be covered in foam.

And again:

Refitting is the reverse of removal (as says the Haynes Manual on so many tasks!) But just ensure your heater diverter box has fully located the ducts with the pipework. Also that the flaps fully operate and you haven't gone too over the top with your new foam.
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Re: Heater box foam replacement

Reply #1
Hi administrators. This thread has photos partially obscured by Photobucket logos. I'd be grateful if you can please fix it so that I can use it to refurb my heater please?
I think you said if I told you where they still occurred then you can fix it.  Thanks so much.   E
16V GTI under restoration
Learning a lot  as I go along

Reply #2
 Browsing in Firefox on a PC, may be the same with others - Right click on picture and select 'view image'.

Reply #3
Photobucket was a free hosting platform but a few years back they decided to charge individuals and basically overnight killed nearly every forum of this kind.

It's out of the control of the site admins here, however if you use Chrome to browse I know you can get a plugin/extension that will remove the watermark.

Add this extension to your browser and it should resolve the issue.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

Reply #4

... or post image:

Reply #5
following a german guide with nice pictures, i did this too.
initially to replace a leaking heater matrix.

mainly, i used gaffa tape (as recommended above)
and glued foarm with hot glue, where seals are necessary.
in addition i have put some oil on metal and vaseline on plastic parts.

Reply #7
and here, on the g135epb thread.