Skip to main content
Topic: Information resources... (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

Information resources...

With having a renewed interest in the MK2 I've been doing what I did with the 205 and trying to find inter-web resources that I can hopefully use to get him/her properly back together again.

Lots of useful stuff out there and one area I've found to be more so than most are the professional auction sites... give them a go as they mostley take care to put up lots of images and larger, quality ones at that.

You're likely already aware of this site, they've a few MK2's of different vintages in their past sold / current and future auctions.

This particular car fits the bill well for my needs and being an apparently genuinely untampered with late model example it's likely still how it was when built - I've already downloaded most of the images just in case it eventually drops off their database. Does happen so worth while doing if you do home in on a particularly good source.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1991-volkswagen-golf-mk2-gti

Re: Information resources...

Reply #1
I haven’t scrutinised the pictures of that example yet but I’ve seen countless sale ads for apparently un-tampered with, all original examples with massive lists of non-matching parts. I look forward to sitting down later with a nice cup of tea and playing a game of spot the non-original feature.

That said, finding nice tidy, well loved examples is a great source of reference as well as a good motivator and source of inspiration.

Thanks for sharing

Reply #2
Does look nice, red is probably my favourite colour , don’t think you will ever find a perfect example, I can’t remember what but Dale and I found a few oddities on the VW show car and that’s only done a few hundred miles??

I remember some geeky git  pointing out I had stainless Allen bolts securing my radiator, didn’t just get some new bolts , bought them from VW, I think no one has the full set of VW spring  hose clamps

You can see one of those offending bolts on the slam panel...

Reply #3
I would be surprised if there weren't differences between similar cars, even from new.

Recently read that the beige slam panel on the 205 (the one that no one on here likes!) came in at least two distinct shades so as to differentiate which supplier made them.