Skip to main content
Topic: Mk2 automatic ignition timing (Read 1387 times) previous topic - next topic

Mk2 automatic ignition timing

Hi guys. Im new to this group. I got myself a nice little golf mk2 2 door, ive always wanted one and the time has come. I need help on setting the ignition timing on it, only problem is its a automatic and I don’t know how to do it, Im use to a manual as you can see all the marks you need to on the flywheel. Where do I start?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Mk2 automatic ignition timing

Reply #1
Hi guys. Im new to this group. I got myself a nice little golf mk2 2 door, ive always wanted one and the time has come. I need help on setting the ignition timing on it, only problem is its a automatic and I don’t know how to do it, Im use to a manual as you can see all the marks you need to on the flywheel. Where do I start?
Thanks in advance.

Hey mate I just did this yesterday. There is fly wheel markings you can see them in the bell housing of the gearbox. Two little holes, one hole has an arrow on it. I set mine in neutral gear, 2600rpm to about 17 degrees. Bentley manual says between 14-17 at 2600

Reply #2
Hey mate, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Is yours a auto or manual? Im struggling to see any small holes, all I see is on big hole in the bell housing. I want to see if the cam timing is correct so I need all the marks to line up. The engine has a lite ping under load. Im trying to figure out if its cam timing, ignition timing or the octane fuel im using. So frustrating because the mechanic says he can’t hear it ping, or detonation. Maybe you can point me in the right direction. Much appreciated 

Reply #3
Hi fellow automatic Golf MK2 owners,

I happen to deal with this very same problem, after a headgasket renewal job. While there is ample instructions to find on how to time a manual, with drawing of marks on flywheel, crankshaft pulley, camshaft pulley  etc. it seems indeed impossible to find said instructions for timing of an automatic?

There are no clear signs on the flywheel at all. Anyway, o have another Golf MK2 automatic that runs fine, and I checked the settings on the flywheel when positioning cylinder 1 at TDC. It then seems that that there is a vague mark on the flywheel that lines approx up with the metal arrow in the inspection hole in the bell housing of the automatic transmission. It is not really a mark but a bump in the metal. There are actually two bumps, one is close to the end of the metal flange -this is not the one- the other is  more towards  the middle - this is the one. I have transferred this setting to my other car; it started at once and on first sight runs fine.

But this is still a very coarse setting so am not sure it will help you completely. I tried to fine tune it by using a timing stroboscope light but it is difficult to see whether you are spot on,  6 degrees before TDC (recommended for an 1.8 RP engine, at least for a manual?), as the "bump"is very course - left or right on the bump will make some degrees of difference. I could however see that the mark on the crankshaft pulley is pointing upwards using the timing stroboscope light, the same as it was in the reference car, so it is at least in the "right window", but again, I am still uncertain whether it is "spot on"

So, if anybody can direct us to drawings/instructions for precise timing of a Golf MK2 automatic, including marks on flywheel, very much appreciated!

Best,

Hans Peter

Reply #4
Hi if you set out the front crank to tdc and look through the inspection hole on the gear box you will see a small plate with a few numbers in it that is your timing making I will try and get some pictures of my set up for you

Reply #5
Hi if you set out the front crank to tdc and look through the inspection hole on the gear box you will see a small plate with a few numbers in it that is your timing making I will try and get some pictures of my set up for you

That would be great, thanks

Reply #6
Thanks so much for all the replies on this issue. Much appreciated.

Morné