Skip to main content
Topic: Cope's GTI (Read 6084 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cope's GTI

Reply #15
Good to see the car on this forum. Yours is my favourite mk2, keep up the good work. Did you get to the bottom of why your rear brakes were locking up (Drift King video)

Reply #16
Thanks guys!!

MJA: The brake issue is just having too much rear bias, I've never had the issue before but I've never really been going as fast before! Having said that when I fitted the new front pads I pushed the pistons back into the front calipers, I can only assume that might have had some effect on the rear compensator valve. So I'll rebleed the brakes and see how I go - Long term solution will be a proper onboard bias valve.

Thought I'd update this after Blyton, which seems like a long time ago now!

The trackday went well with no hiccups, which was brilliant! The gearbox behaved itself, so I can only assume Anglesey was just due to absolutely ragging its arse for a 45min track session (usually only do 20 mins at a time)

On the day I was joined by a few mates, one in a Clio 182, a 306 gti, Clio 200 and an E46 330i touring.
We were faced with a wet morning which was very very interesting to say the least! but god was it fun!
So much fun that I decided to edit one of my videos as a "Tokyo Drift" spoof.. more on that later!

Here with a dab of oppo

Here are some laps from a damp track, with a dry line just starting to come through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FufptpoT5_M

And this one I had some fun with :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq5zKW9GqtA&t=1s

I've not touched the car since, apart from the odd wash, its now SORNd until we see some better weather :)
Hopefully I can get some more track stuff booked once lockdown restrictions are lifted!

:)

Reply #17
A quick update, Got the Golf MOT'd last week.
She passed nicely! with the oblatory "slight play in rear wheel bearings" 
Along with a steering rack boot that keep twisting, which is annoying.

On the way to the MOT the gearbox felt wooly, and the shift very vague, I knew something was a miss...
Stripped all the linkages down once I got back and found that the nut holding the aftermarket short shifter on was loose.

Aftermarket on the left, Genuine VW on the right

You might be able to just make out, but the ali short shifter has worn over time, the slot the relay shaft sits in has elongated and the metal deformed with it being so soft.

To overcome this and ensure no issues in the future, I decided to extend the original VW item, which is made of much stronger stuff.

choppy choppy

Buzzy buzzy

Grindy grindy

Happy with that.

Exciting ey! :D

I've got Cadwell Park booked next month, so I'll be sorting a few bits and bobs out but luckily nothing major :)

Reply #18
A quick update, Got the Golf MOT'd last week.
She passed nicely! with the oblatory "slight play in rear wheel bearings" 

Stick a Polo rear setup on there, won't get that again!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #19
Cadwell Park March 2021

I had a great time over at Cadwell, luckily didn’t have to do much to the Golf, just some general checks and the car ran semi faultless all day!

Got the car loaded up ready for the 2.5 hour drive to Cadwell. I went down with my pal with his e46 330i touring and we has some great lapping together.

I always pack heavy, but I’d rather that than be stuck and not have spares/correct tools with me and waste track time. – This trip that decision paid off!

Going a bit deep on the kerb here!

The only thing I would say was I was pretty shocked at the standard of driving at this event, it was defiantly the worst I’ve ever seen – People overtaking into apexes (saw this a lot!), People not indicating, people not moving over to let faster cars through (AC Cobra I’m looking at you) having to sit in a que of cars waiting lap after lap – and no blue flags from the marshalls. Having said that we both kept out of trouble and had a great day.

We were really lucky with the weather and had a dry circuit all day.

The Golf was going well! The front end seemed to need to a bit of lock and felt like I had to almost chuck it in a little around the tight stuff, I came back to the pits and added a click on rebound on the front which helped loads!

I’ve got Anglesey booked in a week so I’m going to spend the morning having a play with the suspension, I’m happy with the dampening but I do think the rebound needs some work, I’ve been reading a lot to fully get my head around it all – I think I’ve been running the rebound pretty soft in comparison to the dampening, so that’s something I’ll look at.

After having some tail happy moments in the wet at Blyton, caused by the rear brakes locking up, I didn’t have time to order a manual bias valve before Cadwell. With this track being dry it wasn’t so much of an issue, or so I thought. Brooke told me I was locking a rear wheel before almost every corner – unbeknownst to me.

I had read on an old CGTI thread that Gurds had suggested removing the rear bias spring in the compensator valve. So at lunch time I gave that a go.

After lunch the difference was quite unbelievable, no locking from the rear at all and a new confidence on the brakes. It really did feel like I’d fitted bigger brakes on the front, so I’m pretty chuffed with that, the spring is staying off.

The only other issue I encountered whilst giving the car a quick check in-between sessions was some residue coming through the front passenger side wheel, a quick look and it seemed to be gearbox oil. (I love gearboxes…) The leak was narrowed down to the speedo cable hole and on further investigation it seemed the bolt I’d used when making the cover plate was only on by a thread!

A quick rummage through a quality street tub full of random nuts and bolts I took with me, I found another bolt. It was too long but I put a flanged nut down the bolt first to effectively shorten it. That coupled with some high temp sealant and we were good to go! Stayed inplace and sealed all day. Result J! Its pays to take everything but the kitchen sink to a track day!

We both had an absolute blast on track and finished the day very pleased. We were closely matched, obviously the 330 was much faster in a straight line, but that didn’t put off the plucky mk2!

Loaded up ready for the trip back home.

I just finished editing a video from our day.

If like me you are a fan of 90s tv show Best Motoring/Hot Version you might appreciate the intro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYsXOFmOMs&t=271s

After Cadwell I wanted to change the seating position slightly. I still felt like my legs were too close and the wheel not close enough to me.

What I thought would be an easy job turned out to be a bit of a pain! 3 of the bolts holding the wheel on had rounded, and id snapped the ball end off an Allen key in one of them!

I tried making a cut with my Dremel to get it out with a screwdriver but couldn’t get deep enough without potentially damaging my wheel!

Drastic action was needed!

Luckily it went smoothly!

I’ve fitted a new spacer so the wheel sits 95mm further out than factory, herein lied another problem, I couldn’t see over the steering wheel!!

So I set about lowering the steering column some more. I went to Ripon Engineering to pick up some new m8 bolts because I’d found the old ones were only 4.4 grade and had bent! YIKES!

While I was there I found some m10 connectors, which I cut down to the right size and used as spacers for the column.

This has worked really well!

Its meant I’m another 2 clicks back on the seat rail and I can still see over the wheel, my wrist sits comfortably ontop of the wheel when I’m harnessed in and I can still reach the gearstick/control nicely.

Result :)

Reply #20
Nice update, good video too.
Must say, you look really frantic in your car, while your man in the 330 looks like he's off to the shops!

One thing, removing the brake bias spring is a great idea, but keep it and stick it back in for the MOT ;)
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #21
Great update and good to have another video to enjoy and listen to that 8v sing! Love the intro and liked the fast and furious drift stuff on your other vid too :D

What's the idea about this spring then? Does apply more or less braking pressure to the rear (assume less?)

Reply #22
If you imagine, as you put more weight in your car, the rear axle will move up, putting the rear wheels into the wheel arch.
The spring is connected between the axle and the car body, as the axle moves, the spring puts more pressure on the bias valve and increases the flow to the rear brakes.
This is to help as in theory, if you have more weight in the back, you'll need more braking there.
However, if you have lowered the car, it'll also think you have loads of weight and over brake the rear.

You don't usually notice this unless your car is particularly low, or as in Mr Copes case, you're driving right on the limit.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #23
Thanks Chaps :)

Cheers Money, he's a super smooth driver!! and I was using every ounce in me to try and keep at the same pace as him... my poor little car!  :D

Well explained Monkey! Even though Id bled the brakes with the compensator fully clamped and adjusted the spring there was nothing else I could do, there was just too much braking on the rear. I use a Tarox strada rear pad, which gives the same bite as an OE factory pad but they can cope with alot more heat. So I dont have the option of using a lesser pad.

Removing the spring has made a real difference! I was contemplating a manual bias valve, but i really dont think I need one.

I've got Anglesey on the 5th, so I'll see how well it does there :)

Reply #24
Have you considered a height adjustable steering column, think raddo has one.

Or is that a big no no for the track

Reply #25
Hi mate, tbh no I hadn't thought of that, it could be an option but I'd imagine it would go low enough for what i need.
Its also like anything - now its at the exact height I want, I don't really need any adjustment, it would just be for when other people drive, so it might be a bonus that it doesn't move ;)

Reply #26
I fitted a corrado steering column once as part of a full corrado interior swap.
It's more of an angle adjustment and a bit of a pita to fit too!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #27
I have a Corrado (or 2 for now) and the steering wheel adjustment is rubbish - it just moves from 45 degrees, to 90 degreees and down to whatever the opposite of 45 degrees is. I exaggerate but I would like it between the first two. The adjustment also wears out, becomes a MOT failure and people change for a fixed column. Not recommended haha.

Reply #28
Great thread. Got any trips planned this year?