Skip to main content
Topic: Cope's GTI (Read 6098 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cope's GTI

Reply #75
I managed to get all the scuttle buttoned up over the weekend.

But firstly, sometimes things don't always go to plan…
When I was welding, I had a thin plastic painters sheet over the bonnet, with a big sheet of cardboard over the top. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough, the splatter from the welder got through and destroyed the paint! And the cardboard had left loads of marring in the paint.

Not pretty… Not knowing how much paint I had left to play with I had to just go for it, with the thought that I’d probably have to paint the bonnet as well. So I had nothing to lose.

At this point I decided to give both the bonnet and scuttle a really good machine, as I just wasn’t happy with the dust nibs in the paint, so I decided to wet sand them out as well. I used some 2500 grit on the nibs and a 3000 3M Trizact disc on the rest of the panel, this takes the heads of any inconsistencies.

Usually a quick flick over with the machine and she’s grand, but this time it was a real pain to get the wet sanding marks out. For some reason the paint was rock hard. I ended up using G3 cutting compound on a hard pad, and my machine set on a faster speed than I was comfortable with. The danger on such a skinny panel is cutting through an edge in the panel or bonnet. There was some serious heat in the panel from the machine work but luckily it went well. Refined using Menzera Medium on an orange medium pad and finally Menzerna Super finish on a red soft pad.

I’ve said it before, any type of paint work is stressful… at any moment you’re back to square one, so I was very happy to have this one ticked off. Luckily the bonnet survived!

Treated myself to a cold one!

I then managed to refit the new screen on my own, using some builders brick level string in the seal, putting pressure on the outside while working the string around the inside in a circular motion.

The new top tint has really grown on me! Almost like a factory sunstrip, which is right up my street.

Last job was a clean of the glass and a couple of coats of Swissvax Sheild Wax.

Glorious.

Reply #76
It's a shame about your bonnet but looks like your done a great job painting it! I tried and failed getting my screen back in, ended up getting a mate to do it for me 😳 I do like the top tint screens too, I wish I had looked for one of those. Hopefully see you at the national meet?

Reply #77
Cheers Ian! I actually wanted a clear screen but this is all the local place had in stock, can't argue for £100!

Yeah see you at the meet!  :D

Reply #78
Naa, the top tint is an absolute winner!
May have to get one for my Blue mk2 too!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #79
It feels like its been a while!

Since the last update I’ve been on the mk2 golf owners sprint day, which was a lot of fun!
I was there both days this year and camped over, it was great chatting to some old faces and meeting some new ones!

At the end of 2 day, I thought I’d go squeeze in one last run… can you guess… yep I had a fairly decent off! Went into the chicane too wide, rear tyre touched the grass and I was just a passenger.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NleSmjesP1o

Unfortunately I did take out Matt’s Trackslag sign… sorry Matt! But luckily no damage to the car, other than some marks which polished out.

That evening I was tagged in this picture

Lol

After the sprint, my wheels were absolutely obliterated, the pad deposits from the CL RC8’s were like nothing I’ve seen before.

I used some iron out remover, it took a full bottle and about 10 goes at it to get the deposits off.

I’d also noticed I’d gone through a set of nearly new discs… in a 2 day sprint!!
(yes those are meant to be grooves)

Reply #80
Nurburgring 2023
Let’s start with the prep.

The first port of call were new brakes, I went with a Ferodo DS300 on the front after having loads of success for years with the DS2500, and a new set of Tarox Strada on the rear. The front received some new Brembo Maxx grooved discs and new ATE Type 200 fluid.

I also needed to sort some new tyres, the part worn NS2R’s were well past it, and provided little grip even in the dry. I’d been putting tyres off just because of the cost, in the last year or so like everything prices have gone through the roof.

I’d decided on a set of new Nankang AR1, but this time in a 205/50/15 instead of the usual 195/50/15. Sourced for £460.

This was a big risk because the arch clearance with 195’s was already tight on the 15x7 et13 Mahles. So some jiggery pokery was needed. For me the golf has always been about function and form, so raising the car, or fitting generic arch extensions wasn’t an option. I’d decided to make as much room in the arches as physically possible, whilst keeping the standard OEM look.

The front was easy enough, the wings were chopped out behind the arches. This is all well and good but then the arch fitting also needed removing, again arches can be stuck on with adhesive, but I’ve never been a fan of that, I’ve done enough rust repairs!

I remade all the mounting points lower down to secure the arches with flanged bolts and captive nuts.

It’s hard to photograph, but the plastic lip on the arch was sanded flat with finger sander to the face, so it retains its profile from the outside.

The same was done on the rear, the double skin welded back together, ground flat, seamsealed and painted.

It turned out really well!

Believe it or not, the car doesn’t not catch at all! Relief! And I love how the chunky tyre gives a really purposeful look.

Next up, a new cambelt and tensioner, which I bought from Amazon prime of all places!

I also aligned the car, using a length of cotton across 2 axel stands, the tricky thing for me was room, as I don’t have the space to make a square box of string around the car, so I had to do one side at once. To make sure nothing moved (hard when you have to drive the car to turn it around!) I marked the steering wheel boss and the column, so I knew the steering wheel was exactly in line.

I set the geo as:

Camber: –3.0
Toe: 0.01mm Toe out

At this point I’m only a week or so from going to the Nurburgring, and thankfully the car went straight and felt amazing!

The last job on the list before going away was to sort out the relay ball on the gear linkage, as these like to melt on track. So I bought a length of nylon, and made a new ball for a spare shaft I had. The benefits of nylon is the heat resistance and easy of manufacture/cost.

After the gear linkage was aligned, the car was finally done, and ready to go!

I’ll uploads a full trip report shortly, stay tuned :)

Reply #81
Love this, amazed how you can get the tyres so close to the arch but still retain 100% driveability.

Also, can you give me a bit more info on the string method with the axle stands on one side?
I've never been able to do it and always end up going to the local garage,
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #82
Love this, amazed how you can get the tyres so close to the arch but still retain 100% driveability.

Also, can you give me a bit more info on the string method with the axle stands on one side?
I've never been able to do it and always end up going to the local garage,

Yeah I think something often over looked is caster angle, and that’s probably a big part of why I get the clearance. Im not sure on exactly measurements but if that factory castor angle is say +1 degree, i’d guess mine would be nearer +4 degrees. The benefit as im sure you already know is you get more dynamic negative camber, so the more steering input the more negative camber I get.

For the string method of alignment, its a real pain… a real pain but if you have time and patience it works. First loosen the track rod end lock nut. Then centre the steering wheel, once happy put a piece of masking tape on the steering wheel boss and one on the steering column, draw a straight line between them. This is a reference mark to get the wheel perfectly aligned each time, best to use a fineliner for this for accuracy.  Then set up a length of cotton (use cotton, anything thicker and you have less accuracy) between 2 axel stands, make sure the axel stands are positioned so they are longer than the car. Measure the gap between the centre of the hub to the cotton - a steel rule is perfect for this. It doesnt matter what this figure is as long as its perfectly the same front to back.

Next measure the front of the rim to the cotton and then the rear. You will see straight away if the wheel is toeing in or out, I found its easier to draw a diagram to visually see the difference. - now remove the string ( this bit is annoying) jack the car up adjust the track rod, lower the car down, roll the car forward and back, check your alignment marks on the steering wheel, then set the string back up and re measure, over and over until you are happy. Repeat on the other side.

I was sceptical if the marks on the steering wheel would be accurate, but from driving the car it really is, as long as you use a thin pen line, to make sure its perfect each time.

You can get a steering wheel clamp on ebay to prevent the wheel from moving but as I had to turn the car around to do the other side it was pointless

Hope that helps!

Reply #83
Thanks James, great info there.

Only issue I have is I've changed my rear hubs for Polo Gti items, which I believe are a little thicker, so can no longer rely on them making the string completely parallel with the car,  I was thinking about trying to find the exact centre of the car font and rear, then do it off of that.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #84
Nurburgring 2023

It’s that time again, the big one, the Nurburgring. This year was slightly different, the usual bunch of lads who come along all had other life commitments and couldn’t make it. I was going out there at the same time as Nige (Pinderwagen) and I would be travelling out with Warren who also has a mk2.

Warren has been rebuilding his car for a while and as the time got closer, it was looking less and less likely he would make it, after having the car fully reshelled. I got a call the day before we were due to set off with some bad news, his car wasn’t going to make it.

So this year I was out there on my own, or at least travelling and staying on my own. This was a real shame, but I didn’t let it hamper my spirits, I just needed to make sure I had packed extra everything, in case of breakdown/failures etc – yes I did pack a spare gearbox again…

First success, I’d made it to the ferry :)

They really pack you in! Its always nerve racking when they park you so close and people have to squeeze past with luggage.

Every year it seems to be decent weather when the ferry leaves, which is nice.

Arrived in Rotterdam the next day, the weather had turned slightly… I was on the motorway doing around 60mph and I was changing a full lane without wanting to! AR1’s and standing water are terrifying! Although I felt sorrier for this lad in his drop top Lotus…

Driving through Holland, their motorway have these large concrete slabs which dip and div, a bit like waves. With the car being full to the brim the passenger rear tyre was catching on the rear arch… less than ideal. So I pulled over at the services, picked up some obligatory snacks and had a think.

I had a quick look and there were no marks on the tyre so the arch only needed massaging a mm or so. I could have carried on driving but my thinking was, going through the foxhole in the big compression it might have a chance of catching there too. It was still torrential rain outside, so whatever I did needed to be fast.

Jack handle to the ready! Wedging it between the arch and the tyre I managed to get the purchase I needed. Back out onto the motorway and the issue was sorted :) result.

Getting closer to the Ring, it starts to feels very special, every year. Off the motorways and winding down these roads is a great feeling.

I arrived early afternoon and met up with Nige, checked in at the house.

The next 2 days was the DN Event trackday, I was just doing TF again this year, so I joined Nige for a day of passengering and helping out where needed. Saturday was total write off as the weather way awful. I did get out with Nige and also Al in his 996, It was really interesting seeing someone use the wet line properly, but it did make me feel a little queasy.

That night a load of us went out for some food, which was really nice.

The next morning was much better weather, again I wasn’t on this track day so I went to support Nige and get some passenger laps in.

It didn’t disappoint! We had a couple of laps, sat behind loads of 911’s, GT2RS’ you name it! After lap 1 lap Nige engaged the “high boost” mode – hell fire, this was another level now. I still can’t get my head around how a brick shapped mk2 golf can be so savage ontrack. Fortunately I was also onboard for this…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9scBdsHIQs

The golf did its highest ever top speed down the Dottinger Hohe straight… 174.9mph. GPS.
Just have a moment to think about that for a minute… it’s pretty mind blowing!

Unfortunately, it did go a little south at this point, as the car hit the compression in the track, it starved the bottom end of oil and spun a bearing. I wont say too much as Nige might want to publish an update at some point.

But we made it to the top of Flugplatz, and pulled off behind the barrier.

(concerned face!)

We then spent the rest of the day trying to sort it. Nige had the spares but all our conventional and unconventional attempts to fix it did work and the lack of oil pressure had damaged the crank, so there was not much we could do.

That evening the track was open for tourist driving, so I got my helmet on for a first steady lap on my own. (I’m still waiting for some images to be sent through so excuse the watermarks)

I must sound like a broken record now, but… God the Golf feels good, it really, really feels amazing to drive, so direct and a crazy amount of grip from the new rubber.

While I was over there I met Tim and Bex, who were also there for the DN event. Tim had never been round the track before so I was delighted to take him out as a passenger.

We had some great evenings with Nige, Lou, Tim and Bex and I’m really grateful they let me tag along.

The next day Nige came out with me for a lap, helping me brush up on lines etc.

Its great to see him enjoying himself!

I’m really glad I clearanced those arches!

As you can tell we both had a great time!

I went back to the house and checked the car over. Thankfully, no leaks, everything was tight, all good to go for the next day 

That night, we all went out for some food and everyone was high on Nurburgring spirit. I’d been chatting to a few people and they were telling me tales of crashes, repair bills, how dangerous TF is, the usual. Now… I know the risks, we all do.

But something was different this time, I still don’t fully know what it was, I think being here “on my own” had a lot to do with it, usually you are with your mates 24/7, there’s moral support, banter and people to look out for you. I was the only one doing TF, Nige and his group were leaving the following day and I’d be completely on my own for the next 6 days or so.

Just to clarify, I’m a grown man, and I’m completely happy and comfortable in my own company (I do quite enjoy that a lot of the time) but tourist days on the Nurburgring are no joke, essentially if you crash or drop fluids, there’s a high chance you’d end up bankrupt - I mean that in the literal sense.

Having said all that I didn’t come here to drive round at 30mph, I came here to enjoy what is the greatest race track in the world and drive as fast as possible.

The next day I had a couple of warm up laps, driving at 80% or so, to get my confidence back and mentally get myself in the place I needed to be. What’s weird, any nerves you have in the TF car park vanish as soon as you pass that gantry.

I had a couple of great laps, catching faster cars and generally just having a bloody good time!

Below is a little battle I had with an E36 325i, I don’t think he was too happy with me getting past, but I was faster in the twisties.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-HdLiEgMWbk

Every lap there had been a few yellow flags, so no laps times yet. Not that that really mattered because I was having a blast. But I could tell the golf was quick this year, and I was I knew I’d be close to the ever-elusive sub 9 min lap time.

I’d also been watching my videos back trying to see where I could gain some time, Id tried holding the car at redline in 4th up the Kesselchen straight instead of going into 5th, despite the car still dropping in revs at the top of the hill I’d determined that to be a second or 2 faster.

I went out again that evening, it was a week night and the traffic was a lot quieter. The Golf was going well and I knew if there were no yellow flag and no major hold ups I’d right up there.

Luckily there were no yellow flags, but unfortunately there was traffic, some costing me valuable time. I got to the end of that lap with a big grin! It was a good lap, but I didn’t think it was a sub 9 due to the hold ups.

I parked the Golf up to cool down in the usual lay-by, close to the track. I don’t use any type of laptimer on track, so I checked back over my video footage.

an 8:58 BTG… no way… all those hold ups!?

double check

8:58 BTG.

We’d done it! The mighty little 8v, going sub 9 at the ring. Without sounding link I’m blowing smoke up my trumpet that’s some going for a car with sub 125hp.

After watching the footage back I recon there was AT LEAST 15 seconds of hold ups… I think an 8:40/8:45 would be doable on a clear run. That is mega!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52qcnWBdm04&t=1s

I drove over to Brunchen to watch the last of the TF cars before closure and sat down with a currywurst and a coke. That was it, that was the moment, nothing like it.

While I was there I met 2 lads from Holland, they had a lovely mk2 with an ABF.

I drove back to the house that night, very happy indeed. I was meant to be out there for another 5 days, but unlike me I decided to call the trip short, I was going to travel back to the UK the next day. I rang my wife that night and explained I’d be back home early, she did make me second guess my decision and was telling me to stay and just enjoy myself, which was nice to hear. She knows how much work and dedication I put in year round for this trip, and how much it means to me. But I know myself, I trust my judgement and I knew, deep down, I’d be chasing that time, I’d want that 8:4X and that’s not what TF is about. It’s a dangerous game I can’t afford to play. I was happy, very happy. The car was in one piece, the gearbox hadn’t exploded, smiles all round!

So that was that.

Who’d have thought all those years ago… We’ve both come along way!

That’s not it for the Nurburgring, I will be back :)

Until the next one, cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEsK6YhG_6A

Reply #85
Again (like a broken record) great write up!
Always enjoy your Nurburgring reports.
Shame your mates couldn't go with you, that's a hell of a daunting thing to be flying solo, good on you for pushing on!
We're actually starting to plan our 2024 trip, if you want to try and match dates, could act as a safety net for next year?

Also, love how Nige is happy in every single track photo!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #86
Love how you drive this to its maximum potential! Shame you cut your trip short but its good to trust your judgement. One day I will visit the ring!