Skip to main content
Topic: CupraCraigs 20v Project (Read 4832 times) previous topic - next topic

CupraCraigs 20v Project

Hi all,

I used to be on the forum but then it changed and i think my content got deleted, so thought i'd just share the latest on the project.

The car was originally a 8v GTI but that was dead boring / slow / old and i wanted something to keep up with more mordern cars. So i decided to install a 20v turbo engine.

I drove it about for some time and then decided on some maintenance and a change to 20v. i've skipped a lot but here's some of the journey.

The front drivers side wishbone joint was looking a bit sorry for itself  :o

so ive added on some S2 twin pots

changed the charge pipe setup for that of a k04

new genuine mounts:

got it all in the car

a couple of nights of work and its back like this:

just loosly put in the new subframe while i clean up the engine bay and the old power steering rack

also ordered a new trackslag exhaust , the slanty tip one to look OEM.

its no longer my daily driver but also not a show car

painted my intercooler pipes and fitted a new larger radiator. Just waiting on the fan bracket so that i can add the fan and fill it up with coolant again.

Cooling sorted, plumbed, bled..ready to drive! now for some dry weather

i replaced the fuel tank straps with new stainless ones :

20171022_144829 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr
20171022_144839 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

the mounting points were very clean

20171022_142710 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

had the original RA wheels refurbished and new tyres all over

20171030_213752 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

drove it a few times before the weather got bad

20171103_113817 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

Built a false floor for a bit more sound

IMG_20180122_200616_046 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

Decided to move away from the tapered bearing setup and go for a 6N2 GTI rear setup
20180115_112944 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

then got excited and decided to just refurbish the whole rear axle

Got a snapped bolt :(
19905182_10156238860064258_4425863930378189923_n by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

cut out the old bushes and housings

20180203_223730 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

20180204_140736 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

Old bush vs new

IMG_20180122_200839_578 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

Re: CupraCraigs 20v Project

Reply #1
Refurbished the mk2 rear calipers, adding stainless nipples with new covers and painted in Dark Anthracite which i will paint the fronts in too

20180206_182456 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

20180206_182202 by Cragmire40D, on Flickr

rear beam blasted

Rear beam and brackets painted with Raptor Paint

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4650/40450751952_030ddbeede_c.jpg[/img]

Stripped down the rear ARB to bare metal as it seemed to have some worming under the powdercoat, painted with etch primer then Upol-Raptor, let it all cure for a week and i re-fitted it all with all new bushes.

Reply #2

Reply #3
Saturday afternoon got busy!

Intercooler out (need to make up some good brackets for that again as i didn't like how it was sat at an angle before)

cooling system out - getting completely replaced

Alternator and bracket - out to be refurbished.

This is the offending pipe!

The near side of the engine has a coolant housing that the temp sensor goes into, so i whipped that off while i clean up the engine of all the muck and grease, as it came of, the rubber o'ring came away in 2 pieces..so that's likely where the little dribble of coolant has come from and possibly not the pipe in the pictures above, but that needs replacing anyway.

Going to fit a catch can so whipped out all the oil breather pipes, the one that goes into the block obviously split as it came out..just brittle. so ordered a new part there, that will go into a silicon pipe to a catch can and then one from the cam cover to the catch can...then delete the PCV (puck) valve.

then took out the alternator and the bracket behind it that supports the power steering pump. I'll sand them back and clear coat them... not sure how to restore the alternator yet though but just want that back to OEM looking and clear coated.

loads of cleaning to do! should be a good week for progress

Reply #4
Another busy weekend pushing on with the car.

Finished cleaning up the cam cover, masked up ready to paint

Idle pulley bearing was rough so took that apart, cleaned up all the aluminium, chemically treated it and then cleaned again and clear coated it... i also did this with the bracket on the front of the engine for the alternator

Took the bearing out thinking i could just replace it... looks like its easier to just replace the assembaly

Stripped the alternator to check the bearings as it sounded a bit gritty..

Outer shaft bearing in the casing is all good... inner is gritty..Part number for it in pic. ordered a new bearing and will replace that.

did loads more cleaning up of the alternator casing, i will clear coat this when done.

and put some of it back in to get an idea of how its looking.

Reply #5
Well i picked up the new used box from a seller i have known about for a long time so that gave me some confidence in what he was saying... So many people have tried to sell me duff box's or just come across as such cowboys.

Photo from the seller below. pretty oily and grimey but came out of a running Octavia VRS and the gearbox was running smoothly.

got busy with the oven cleaner and some other cleaning products and it really did a good job on removing all the grime! the only issue was some surface corrosion that i've began cleaning off before clear coating the box.. i don't want to paint it silver as it just looks wrong... black would be good but keep it original looking and clear it.

half way through clearing it up my second Dremel died.. thats 2 now in the space of 2 years... going to buy a cheap one this time as im sick of the cost of a dremel against the length of life

Reply #6
I took the change on Saturday morning to get busy and start prepping the car for some work:

Took the wings off and cleaned off the wax with a hot gun and some paper towels, then wiped down with brake cleaner to remove the remaining wax. I have not tackled the sealer with anything, i am tempted to wire wheel it all, epoxy prime and then spray it with raptor black for a long lasting durable weather proof finish. I dont care if it doesn't look factory in that beige colour, more worried about it lasting and looking clean and tidy.

A couple of rust spots found on the near side, i guess this is typical as this is the gutter side and more prone to salt intrustion?

Reply #7
Another little (big) update:

I stripped out the interior one evening wen the kids went to bed:

I broke a couple of the clips that hold the heater controls in place, i took the wires off to lubricate them, this has always been a bug bear of mine that its all so stiff.. Some dry lube for the bicycle chain was a good thing to use. not greasy and messy, leaves a teflon type coating and its now nice and free.

There is no intrustion of water into the cabin :

I breathed a sigh of relief when i took the window out:

Yes, theres rust, but it looks like just superficial rust, so i would not need to have a pannel put in! should save on bodyshop costs.

I took the ECU apart to have a nosey inside:

06A 906 018CG

They did a nice neat job off the Immo off.
the ECU is accessible through Vagcom and the port i installed in the cabin, so maybe just bolt a K03s onto it and get that mod done while the engine is out.

Reply #8
Some paint updates from the body shop

I took the manifold off, ported it a little and then put it back with a new gasket. while i was there i ckeaned up the rear of the engine and painted it with engine enamel. nobody will see it, but i know its been done and is tidy.

Reply #9
wire bundles arrived for replacement of a few loom wires end to end, extending the MAF was the big one but deceided to replace some tired wires anyway.

carpet under lay also got picked up, its a backed wool, so it should do the job nicely

Reply #10
Got excited and made up the replacement under lay bits lastnight, just used the old parts and stencilled around them.

I used some insulation wool that i have to replace the thin and flimsy insulation where the dash sits

I used spray on contact adhesive in patches to secure the exhaust tunnel insulation and onto the dash top. if the dash makes any rattling sounds i'll be amazed!

firewall insulation cut and i'll put that in today, then i can get the heater installed.

Not sure if i should order up and fit the window now or have it be one of the last things i do

Reply #12
started to get the loom in to the car

then realised that the engine loom has to come back into the car to the ECU not just the bit for power etc.... so started to strip that down and get that into a position to be able to move that into the car.

Been doing some bits but forgot to take many photos.

Fusebox to engine loom extended just to make it all much easier to route internally.
Engine loom looks much tidier now
Battery cables ran but will need to decide on a new battery and how i'm going to secure it in the boot... i have got a false floor in there at the moment for the Sub, but i won't be running a stereo any more, so might re-make the floor and secure the battery to that.

IMG_20201218_145924 by Laxadams, on Flickr

IMG_20201218_151432 by Laxadams, on Flickr

IMG_20201217_160620_758 by Laxadams, on Flickr

Modified the TIP, MAF and intake

Reply #13
That underlay looks good stuff, is it rubber backed (easy to cut)?

I was using a bitumen backed one on the Pug and it was borderline too tough to cut to shape, never again.

Reply #14
That underlay looks good stuff, is it rubber backed (easy to cut)?

I was using a bitumen backed one on the Pug and it was borderline too tough to cut to shape, never again.

its got a latex backing, i went through a few stanley knifes cutting it as the wool blunts the blades