Skip to main content
Topic: Ask anything about FINLAND (Read 1384 times) previous topic - next topic

Ask anything about FINLAND

While drinking a cup of coffee I started wondering if you guys want to ask something about Finland or our culture etc.

Feel free to ask, I'll answer as good as possible  :))
Just a Finnish dude.

Re: Ask anything about FINLAND

Reply #1
Hmmm, good idea!

What's the VW scene like over there? Are there meets or track days?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Hmmm, good idea!

What's the VW scene like over there? Are there meets or track days?

I gotta tell Finland is the worst country for car enthusiasts, there are sooo much regulations and for example a mk2 vr6 swap is only a dream here. There is one vw regulated community and one mk2 golf specific club but here in Finland people are so c*nts that if they know something they make sure nobody else gets to know it.. For example the pro 8V tuners here don't share any information but they have made a 8V 1.8 dual carb that makes 180hp, I think thats a very big achievement(?)

We have 2 tracks here in Finland and last track day was at 2019.
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #3
How do you get throught those long dark winters?

How many cups of coffee do you think you get through in a day?

1988 8v GTI, 3 door in black.  It's a bit like me, doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close.......:D

Reply #4
How do you get throught those long dark winters?

How many cups of coffee do you think you get through in a day?

IMO winter is nice and enjoyable for the two first months, but when it gets to the coldest season (mid december to mid february) I really start hoping for summer :D

Finnish coffee consumption can actually be referred to british tea culture, we drink coffee like 4 times a day (1-2 cups per time) and coffee is also made when guests come, after sauna, stopping at gas station, going out to the woods skiing etc. I personally drink like 7 cups a day. Soo we drink a lot of coffee!
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #5
Quote:
IMO winter is nice and enjoyable for the two first months, but when it gets to the coldest season (mid december to mid february) I really start hoping for summer :D

This got me thinking.....do you only have summer and winter? Three months of winter in the UK are long enough for me!

In my head I always think winter ends at the end of December....hence every year I'm disappointed. Roll on spring!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #6
Winter in Finland is from ~November to mid April, so yes Finland has pretty much summer and winter :D
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #7
I watch Hans's garage on 'The Youtube'... he's Finnish with a Peugeot 205 GTI plus a Saab and some Volvo's.

Looks a beautiful place where he is.

Is English routinely taught as a second language? Like you his is exceptional.

Reply #8
I watch Hans's garage on 'The Youtube'... he's Finnish with a Peugeot 205 GTI plus a Saab and some Volvo's.

Yes I watch his channel too! Brilliant work.

English is taught from 3rd grade all the way to vocational education. I've always had top grades in english language at school, mainly because I've learned by myself from when I was 8 years old. I remember struggling to read something in english and then I decided I want to be able to read and speak english so I will never have any problems anymore   :D
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #9
Finland is beautiful from what I remember - years ago i went to a Scout camp in Porvoo... which i believe is towards the south?
I remember Helsinki being very clean, and also the insane amount of daylight.

interesting fact - while there we went to an Ostrich farm, and to this day i still know how to ask is Finnish (to a degree) Where is the Ostrich Farm?

Reply #10
Finland is beautiful from what I remember - years ago i went to a Scout camp in Porvoo... which i believe is towards the south?
I remember Helsinki being very clean, and also the insane amount of daylight.

interesting fact - while there we went to an Ostrich farm, and to this day i still know how to ask is Finnish (to a degree) Where is the Ostrich Farm?

Haha! Yes in summer we have a lot of daylight and the nights are mostly very bright. But in mid winter season we only have about 4 hours of daylight. Now in January we got about 6 hours of daylight :)
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #11

Reply #2 on this, wanted to add something:

I actually never use a dictionary or translator if I don't remember some words. First I try to dig my memory of that specific word and if I remember it, I never have a problem remembering it in the future. I have found that this helps me master english language even better, if I use a translator the word just doesn't stick to my mind as good :-)

I've also noticed that Finnish people are good at spelling the words right when typing or writing because they teach it at school very strictly and we had english language spelling and speak tests already at 3rd grade in elementary school!
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #12
On the language issue - I think it's quite embarrassing how so much of the world have a second(and beyond)  language and so much of the UK just doesn't. I think it's almost an arrogance, "well everyone knows English, so what's the point?" sort of thing? I wish I'd taken language more seriously at school - My French is "tourist-plus" so I can get by, but that's about it! :( Your grasp of the English language Bamppa puts many English people I know to shame.... :)

Reply #13
On the language issue - I think it's quite embarrassing how so much of the world have a second(and beyond)  language and so much of the UK just doesn't. I think it's almost an arrogance, "well everyone knows English, so what's the point?" sort of thing? I wish I'd taken language more seriously at school - My French is "tourist-plus" so I can get by, but that's about it! :( Your grasp of the English language Bamppa puts many English people I know to shame.... :)

Thank you 👍👍
Just a Finnish dude.

Reply #14
Tell me more about the law with regard modifying cars. You wrote a Mk2 VR6 is a dream... Is it illegal to change the engine to non-standard?
Shep
LA9V 1.8T
'Why is the bonnet up now? You said it was finished'