Skip to main content
Topic: Engine mountings (Read 375 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine mountings

Hi all.

At purchase, my  84k miler GTi 8 V (digi) came with a renewed front engine mount (rubber?).

I seem to remember reading somewhere that all three mounts (front/rear engine and tranny) should be replaced every 5 years/ 50,000 miles or so?

I expect the dealer didn't fancy expending 2.5 hours labour dealing with the rear elements, and to be fair, the engine does not seem to be jumping up and down excessively at tickover, or clunking with gear changes.

So, do I really need to invest a further £230 odd pounds of my retirement kitty and replace back mounts? I am aware that if in the future I 'upgrade' manifold arrangement then I risk cracking stainless steel item if mounts are too far gone.

As ever, any advices gratefully received.

Re: Engine mountings

Reply #1
At one point when I had my automatic it launched rather badly due to another fault and ripped the front mount out. I replaced this one only. I didn't have a problem with any of the others. It might suggest that your front one was changed maybe for a similar reason. If the engine seems to be okay I would be tempted to leave it. If you do change to the stainless manifold then might be the time to change the remaining ones. If your car is also not a daily I would leave them but just keep an eye on them.  Alternatively have a couple of "engine mount saving pots" and accrue the money that way instead of diving in deep to the engine mount replacement fund.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys