Skip to main content
Topic: Probably one of many 'What's this' posts... (Read 737 times) previous topic - next topic

Probably one of many 'What's this' posts...

Being as careful as possible when removing / labelling things but inevitably there's going to be the odd one that slips through the cracks -

In fairness I only noticed this for the first time today while refitting the carpet around the drivers foot well.

I'd previously dropped the fuse board and upon reinstating it this showed its nose from in behind. It's not got much length to the wire, I wouldn't be able to pull it out further.

Is it a redundant connector (there's VW markings on it) or should it be somewhere?

Sheet of white paper being used as a back ground for the photo, the fuse board is immediately above it.

Re: Probably one of many 'What's this' posts...

Reply #2
Really difficult to get a look at it let alone taking a piccie.

The brake light switch is a near identical plug and black also, though it's not it.

If it's meant to be connected somewhere it must've intentionally been removed, there's no way with those clasps that it could have parted company of its own accord.

The lead to it is so short it can't reach anything nearby.

As best I can tell it comes from the green plug on the fuse board, it's grouped with 2 others that exit it and go somewhere deep into the dash, this just hangs down.

I've now found another orphaned plug, the red one pictured, it seems to feed with others into the engine bay and is mixed up in the nest of wires behind the fuseboard / under dash area in that corner.

It's 2 x pin male and the black is 1 x pin male so don't think they're related.

I'm aware they're there at least, if it turns out something isn't working when it's all back together it'll be somewhere to check.

Reply #3
I'll have a looksee at mine when its light, I'm assuming your's is a CE2 (late) fusebox like mine?
If you know which connector it goes into in the fusebox you could refer to rubjonnys wiring guide on the ClubGTIforum?
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #4
Thanks for that, appreciated... if you haven't already done it, hold off for a while, it's too cold and alot of work getting in behind the fuse board if it's all back in place.

I'll check around online for a bit first and see if I can decipher the wiring diagrams. Not my thing usually, so will maybe have to take you up on the offer!

Cheers.

Reply #5
It's possibly for 'heated washer jets', if I've read some of the schematics correctly.

To add to the confusion it leaves the green plug (D) at pin 9 along with a second, identical black wire that disappears up into the dash.

I can't check if I have heated jets at the moment, the bonnet's off and any fittings from it boxed up somewhere.

Would a 1992 run out 8v GTI have had them as standard?

Even I should have them that second black wire could well be their feed so doesn't rule them in or out.

The green 'D' socket is titled 'optional equipment' - I'm going to assume at this point it's a redundant plug for something I don't have.

Reply #7
Due to the water leak I do have the fusebox dangling down in the footwell atm. I took a look earlier this week and I couldn't see any connectors like that one in the cabin at all. There's obviouly a lot of cables and not much give to see whee they all go.
Looking at your pic I'd guess the "missing" connector would be the same profile as the yellow connector...apologies if that is obvious. Electrics aren't my thing....matching shapes up is !

Reply #8
What may be adding to the confusion is your connectors look like MK3 style, being at the end of the MK2 line this wouldn't be surprising

Reply #9
You're right - That's part of the problem, the wiring's so tightly installed I'm worried I'm putting too much stress on it trying to get a better view. Thanks for looking, I think I'll just leave well alone!

I found some of Rubjonny's various posts elsewhere and now that you mention it my fuseboard just doesn't quite look like the MK2 CE2 in some of his diagrams / images, close but some differences. That would likely explain things if they were already switching over to MK3 ones.

In one of the images you can just make out a data sticker on some of the background wiring showing 06/91, I'm guessing that would be getting very close to the end of MK2 production. 

Reply #10
Mystery of both the black and red connector perhaps solved. Found both of mine after I twisted the fusebox round and neither goes anywhere!

Perhaps there is scope to add some more goodies that are partially pre-wired  :D