Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie here.. 1.6cl auto with 16v abf conversion (Read 1124 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie here.. 1.6cl auto with 16v abf conversion

Hi All..

Bought my mk2 already converted and running gsxr 750 bike carbs. Ran a little rough but was running and very drivable.

Intention was to slowly get the car running properly, clean the car up, and have an ongoing driveable project.

Got in the car one day and noticed a knocking sound from the engine. Wasn't sure where the knocking was coming from but was going to get under the car and have a good look about. Life got in the way what with buying a new house and put the car on parents secure driveway for after I moved house and was going to have a good look. Up pops COVID and nothing more happened to the car and has now sat for about a year.

I have now got my house all sorted after a complete refurb and next thing on the list is to get the car up and running and back on the road.

I'm possibly looking at reverting the car back to injection and getting rid of the bike carbs. There are loads of bits that were done by the previous owner which were never finished which also need sorting.

Though I would join the forum to possibly get some help/advise on what I should be looking out for or look at changing along the way.

Best,

Charlie

Re: Newbie here.. 1.6cl auto with 16v abf conversion

Reply #1
Managed to look at the car today after charging the battery up.

Had a fuel pump issue at first and have a badly perished fuel line which will need replacing but managed to get the car running.

Still have the loud knocking noise which seems to be coming from the gearbox. When the clutch is depressed, the sound quietens down.

Next step will be to remove the gearbox and have a look. Possibly flywheel?

Need to also change the fuel line for new one. Any recommendations on a decent fuel line?

Reply #2
Hi, ask about fuel lines on the golf chat might get a better response
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Reply #4
Got round to taking the gearbox off. Took the flywheel off and the bolts on the pressure plate were a bit loose allowing it to wobble. Pretty sure this is the cause of the problem!

Going to put new clutch kit in.

One issue I’m having is removing the pressure plate! I have removed the 6 bolts but it won’t come away. Almost seems as though the pressure plate is stuck behind the ‘centre pin’. Any recommendations for removing this. I tried a pry bar behind one side with no luck. Have sprayed a load of lubricant on it so hopefully eases it over night.

Reply #6
Cheers Eddy, will give that a go!

Reply #7
Managed to get the pressure plate off. Took some force.

Offered up the new clutch and its as though the clutch centre hole is too small for the crankshaft end. Is this normal? I thought it should just slot straight over with no issues.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reply #8
Hmm, what clutch have you bought?
Was it an ABF clutch? Do you know what gearbox you have?

Depending on how the previous owner has done the conversion, you could be running an 020 box (original mk2) or an 02A box (mk3).
If you can get a photo up, we can identify what you have/what you need.

Also have you compared new to old? See if there's a difference.

Hi by the way :)
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
Unfortunately, photos aren't working for me
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #12
There you go, though they're quite large and may not load all that quickly...

Reply #13
There should be a code under the bottom of the bell housing, also good resource for 020 boxes http://www.brokevw.com/

Reply #14
Hi t2000, thanks for the link. Have had a look through and some useful info.

The code on the bell housing is - 4T04088  7 have put a picture of it in the link below;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgymyccpi4qufus/Photo%2012-08-2021%2C%2017%2026%2030.jpg?dl=0

Spoke with Vwheritage and they sent me a link for a 228mm clutch for an ABF but that won’t work with the gearbox.

I know I need a 210mm clutch which works with a 24mm main shaft. One I have is for a 22mm main shaft.

Appreciate the help guys