Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Golf Gti starting issue (Read 869 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Golf Gti starting issue

Hi All,

Desperado for some help and guidance please

I'm a lucky owner of a 88 GTI, been sat for many years so a bit of a project but i think should be worth it!

Now first things first was seeing if we can get it running, we have replaced so far.......
Plugs
Leads
Dizzy and rota
Coil
Both fuel pumps outer and internal
Fuel Pump relay

Wiring to fuel pumps seems to be checking out ok, it turns over fine (Done all the checks before trying to start vehicle)
Don't seem to get a buzz at all from pumps so don't seem like they are priming and spark is weak to non existent (This was the case before and after changing plugs)

Can some one help at all?? other things to check or replace? electrics is not our strongest point but can wobble through
with learner plates on  :))

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
Jay

Re: 1988 Golf Gti starting issue

Reply #1
Hi Jay
Try turning her over a bit, then pulling a plug and having a look.
If it's not starting up, the plug should be wet with fuel.
If dry, you're not getting fuel out your injectors.

Speaking of fuel, if it's been sat up for a while, the fuel may have degraded too much. Have you put fresh in?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Hi Monkey,

Thanks for your reply, no don't seem to be anything happening reference fuel or spark?? was hoping to find
a little cut off switch somewhere been wired in but nothing?

Even with easy start its not even catching on that? should you be able to hear fuel pumps prime when ignition switched on??

Could i be looking more at ECU?? have been having a read up and thought possible?

Sorry yes fresh fuel all done and showing on gauge also so not super low

Thanks again

Jay

Reply #3
Usually, when you turn the ignition on, you'll hear the fuel pumps prime for a few seconds.
You could pull a fuel pipe off the rail and see if you have fuel at the pipe.

It has been known for the ECU to fry, usually if the earth strap comes off the gearbox.

Another trick I've done in the past is to pull an injector connector off (bit tricky), then get an indicator or a bulb with the same connector and plug it in. Get someone to turn the engine over and watch the bulb, if everything works, the bulb should flicker as the injectors are pulsing.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #4
Yeah not getting a noise at all!

Really think it must be an earthing or ECU fault? you say about earthing strap is this fairly normal
to happen and would this stop ignition and fuel pumps? im getting everything else working and
turning over??

Cheers
Jay

Reply #5
The earth fault comes about when the strap works loose on the gearbox.
It's got enough contact to make the car turn over, but it fries the ECU, so it won't fire the injectors.

Though if you're not getting anything from the fuel pumps, I'd start there.
Pull the feed pipe off the fuel rail, stick it in a bottle and then crank over the car, see if you have fuel coming out.
I'm assuming you've checked all the fuses over?
This is a brilliant site for wiring info...
http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html
It says that relay 12 is the fuel pump relay.
If you've got nothing coming out when cranking, you can bypass the relay to see if that will give you fuel.
That will eliminate the ECU entirely, if you still don't get fuel when you know it's not the ECU.

Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Hi Monkey

Really appreciate your help and input, will give this a look into over the weekend!

Thanks again will update

Cheers
Jay

Reply #7
Here's a thought. not sure if it's a good one though!

If you pull the plug and run temporary + and - wires directly to the pumps,  perhaps off jump leads from a spare battery, you'll be able to test the fuel pumps, if they work you'll get to hear them running so you'll know what sound to expect normally.

Now, if that's successful, not sure if it's a good idea to try and start the car, but I don't see why not. The pumps will be pushing fuel to the engine independent of the cars own electrics.

If the car then runs you'll rule out anything else, you'll even know the pumps are working and then you can look at the wiring, and as you say, may discover a kill switch, or old aftermarket immobiliser.

There is a trick you can do to swap the fuel relay with the one for the lights (I think), this will put the fuel pumps on perm live. So instead of just the prime, you'll be able to confirm they run with ignition on. If they don't but the car starts as above then 100% loom.

If it still won't start then as above, check the other stuff, could be ECU (but I'm sure if the ECU was toast the pumps would still prime off the ignition wouldn't they) surely ECU just controls spark? Don't really know I've got more experience with K-Jet.

Reply #8
Hi Eddy,

Ah some good ideas there for sure and something to try! we had run jump pack on pumps but only
briefly didn't want to over do them dry and work.

Think we need to step back and work out a plan, I have a new dash to fit so might take all dash out and inspect all wiring see if there is anything hidden!

Thanks guys do appreciate all input and things to try!

We will win and be on the road at some point soon hopefully, need this one sorted so i can see my Type 19 Mk2!

Cheers
Jay