Skip to main content
Topic: windscreen scuttle (Read 1352 times) previous topic - next topic

windscreen scuttle

Like many golfs the windscreen scuttle is rusty near the blanked off wiper hole I suspect the rust under the screen seal has developed into a hole. The question is can you get a small repair plate or do you replace the whole panel? the problem is the whole panel  from heritage is for the early model so you need to drill a new hole for the wiper so would not look correct as it would be flat. I would also replace the windscreen seal but want a good quality one so any recomendations.  Many thanks scs

Re: windscreen scuttle

Reply #1
yeah if it's localised you can plate it, just depends how far is has spread around the screen area.

Reply #2
corrosion area is very localised but cant evaluate what its like below the seal

Reply #3
Have you got a pic of the area?
Mine should be going to body shop in next week or 2 for a few repairs including both a pillars. I have the heritage repair panel so may have the section you need spare afterwards.

Reply #4
Are you able to peel the rubber back and see how far the rust has crept? If you can take the screen out you might be able to get it repaired at a reasonable cost using a mobile welder, I suspect a bodyshop might charge quite a lot to fix but hopefully I'm wrong.
From my limited experience of pattern body panels I'd suggest replacing as little metal as possible since the quality of some isn't 100%, better still get one cut out of a donor car if you can?
If the car is left out in all weathers I'd suggest putting some rust convertor on as much of the rust plus paint whilst you get it sorted because I'm afraid its only going to get worse if you don't.
Good luck.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #5
I have not worked out how to post pictures but if there is any holes it would be under the seal and would only be less than 2cm long. The car is garaged so is dry and I could remove the screen by cutting the seal. Any suggestions on where to get a replacement seal? scs

Reply #6
I have not worked out how to post pictures but if there is any holes it would be under the seal and would only be less than 2cm long. The car is garaged so is dry and I could remove the screen by cutting the seal. Any suggestions on where to get a replacement seal? scs

You can push the seal out but go carefully.

Use plastic pry tools to lift the seal from the inside, I've head you can use lollipop sticks to help.

Insert the sticks as go along the seal to stop it popping back.

Reply #7
I am wanting to change the seal as it is starting to perish so am happy to take the easy option and cut it out. Just need an opinion on getting a good quality seal. scs

Reply #8
I appreciate this is an old topic but did you get this repaired?

Reply #9
I had a repair carried out at a local bodyshop. With the screen removed the scuttle had a small hole which was plated. The only issue is now its painted it shows up some of the other paint on the car.
scs 

Reply #10
Sounds great. I'm just about to repair that area in my project car. If it turns out okay I'll post some pictures!

Reply #11
Mine is in the body shop at the minute, guy said he will probably replace the complete panel.

Reply #12
Replacing the panel would have meant using the early type panel which I did not want to do fortunately mine was not to bad just one small area. Even so ended having to spray the bonnet and both front wings. Never easy is it. 
scs

Reply #13
Unless the panel is really bad most people tend to buy the full repair panel and just cut the section they need and stitch it in.
Often this means you can buy the remaining 90% of the repair panel of someone who has done this assuming the bit you need isn't the same bit they used.

If the rot is small, and not effecting a shaped part then a small fabricated patch can be done without a repair panel.