Skip to main content
Topic: Audio - standard Mk2 Golf stereo (Read 2077 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio - standard Mk2 Golf stereo

This topic causes lots of debate as there seems to be no real answer. But in short, the answer to the question that crops up quite often "What stereo would my Golf have had from factory?" Is, there probably wasn't one!

In the OEM section there are a bunch of original sales brochures. https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=10.new#new
These show the selection of Blaupunkt car stereos that were available. However the majority of these brochures are for the European/German market.

On mainland Europe it appears the cars were fitted with these factory stereos, but the export cars for UK didn't have a stereo fitted. I can only assume its because of one of the following:

1. The car stereos if fitted had a tendency to go missing en-route, most likely on the ships as the vehicles were transported over seas.
(Having worked for a period at Avonmouth docs driving Japanese cars off the ships and loading the empty ships back up Jags and Land Rovers for export I can see how that might have been the case, although security was tight when I did it, I imagine it would have been a bit different 20-30 years earlier.)
Or
2. There was an issue with leaving the stereos in during transit, either due to moisture whilst at sea, but maybe something to do with draining the battery.

But I suspect the security issue is the reason.

So here's how it went for UK purchases.

At the VW dealer there would be a display of available stereos, often Panasonic but not exclusive, (Grundig or Philips also seem popular for the period) and when ordering your new car you would select from the stand in the showroom, the stereo you wanted, most likely the basic but you had the chance to upgrade.

Bearing in mind the "In Car Entertainment" scene was just beginning to kick off with the first European I.C.E. Championship "Sound Off" held in Bristol Watershed in 1988.

CD was still in its infancy, only introduced in 1983. So during the life of the Mk2, whilst in-car CD was available for the run out models, and can be found as an option in some of the later sales brochures, it would have been a very expensive option.

In my personal opinion a classic Alpine system looks the part in a Mk2, with it's matching green display
National Meet - 19-21 July 2024 @ Curborough Sprint Circuit

Re: Audio - standard Mk2 Golf stereo

Reply #1
My 88 came with a dealer fit Panasonic CQ 825 Radio cassette, I have stored this away and acquired some Blaupunkt headunits from that period...
Here is a link to some of the Bluespots available back in the day. They aren’t cheap but a regular check on eBay.de has sourced me some gems, top of the range units were £1-£1.5k back then... graphic equalisers were also an option.. from my experience unless you fit a soundboard to your parcel shelf the sound was never great
https://www.bmwccgbforum.co.uk/ice-cool_topic8740.html

Some of my 80s audio trash

Votex cassette holder

Period cassette cleaning kit

My current blue spot which has a convenient input for my iPhone and an anti theft cassette lock complete with a flashing led

Reply #2
I still have my Allsop3 but it's well used!
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #4
Back in 1989 UK cars came with a blanking panel in place of the radio. The panel had locating slots in the rear for the factory wiring but not the arial.
Dealers fit the radio specified by VW in the brochure, that is unless the buyer haggled an upgrade