Skip to main content
Topic: Original Equipment Suppliers... (Read 862 times) previous topic - next topic

Original Equipment Suppliers...

Found this out from experience when doing the 205 and I'm finding the same's true with the MK2 that it's sometimes better to go for original equipment manufacturer replacement parts than not because of quality, fit etc.

Price (not alway necessarily more expensive, don't assume) and availablity may exclude using them but it's still useful to know so you can at least make a decision or perhaps originality is important to you.

I'm finding my car's pretty much original and still has the parts it came with. Unfortunately that isn't the plus it might seem at first as quite a few have reached the point they need replacing.

Thought I'd add any info. I find as I go along, may be of use to you. Presumably it probably matters - my car's a 1991 8v, PB engine.

I'm sure VW used more than one supplier, but at least it'll give you a starting point.

Feel free to add your own findings, maybe cut'n'paste the entire list so the last post is always up to date? 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rear shock absorbers - Sach.

Pistons - Kolbenschmidt.

Head gasket - Elring

Re: Original Equipment Suppliers...

Reply #1
Sorry could not do a cut and paste but have recently had issues with my wipers not working. So to add to the list are the wiper and indicator stalks they are made by Meyle. Maybe someone with more idea could add to the list.
scs

Reply #3
Scs sent you a PM about the stalks.

The 205 was unsurprisingly full of Valeo components, probably the only truly original factory stuff left on the car and testament to it's quality I suppose.

Googled SWF from the markings on the MK2 wiper motor - seem to have been a company in their own right until the late 1990's when ironically they were absorbed into Valeo, still on the go.

Pistons - Kolbenschmidt.

Head gasket - Elring

Rocker cover gasket - Elring

Starter motor - Bosch

Heater fan / motor - Valeo

Brake master cylinder - Ate

Wiper blades - Valeo

Wiper motor - SWF

Reply #4
I quite often ring my local VW place.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #5

Pistons - Kolbenschmidt.

Head gasket - Elring

Starter motor - Bosch

Wiper blades - Valeo

Wiper motor - SWF  (now SWF-Valeo)

Speakers - Nokia

Coil springs - Mubea

Clutch - LuK

In tank fuel pump - VDO

Swirl pot fuel pump - Bosch

Coil - Bosch

Fuel pressure regulator - Bosch

Clutch release bearing - RollAx

Engine Block - Eisenwerk Bruehl

Brake servo - Ate

Hi-Lo snail horns - Mixo

Thermostat - BTT ( Behr Thermot-tronik, now Mahle)

Reply #7
You are indeed right...

Pistons - Kolbenschmidt.

Head gasket - Elring

Starter motor - Bosch

Wiper blades - Valeo

Speakers - Nokia

Coil springs - Mubea

Clutch - LuK

In tank fuel pump - VDO

Coil - Bosch

Brake servo - Ate

Hi-Lo snail horns - Mixo

Speakers - Nokia

Reply #8
Going to add this one until I find something to the contrary.

If you're not a VW anorak, you should stop reading now.

Started with me needing a front (amber) indicator for a 1991 big bumper model because of a small stone chip in one. Mine have been in a box for over a decade, so have only picked up on it and the below now.

I wrongly assumed it'd be a Hella item, but mine are 'FER' (I'd never heard of them either) and definitely original to the car being date marked 1991. They've also VW / the roundal plus the correct part numbers cast into their front and rears.

Checking 7Zap it shows Hellas are actually listed as 'aftermarket' and not OE, along with quite a few others.

Not much info. out there, but if FER still exist they're keeping a very low profile.

Have found some images of other MK2 front indicators by them and a couple are marked German Democratic Republic (mine are post reunification and just say 'Made in Germany')

They're also E-marked 'E15' which I can't yet find any country of origin reference for, so maybe something to do with the situation back then?

Pistons - Kolbenschmidt.

Head gasket - Elring

Starter motor - Bosch

Wiper blades - Valeo

Speakers - Nokia

Coil springs - Mubea

Clutch - LuK

In tank fuel pump - VDO

Coil - Bosch

Brake servo - Ate

Hi-Lo snail horns - Mixo

Front, big bumper amber indicators - FER

Reply #9
I think what is most interesting out of all of this, is that car manufacturers are designers and assemblers. They actually ‘manufacture’ very little. I guess that’s why sometimes you hear the factory described as ‘the assembly plant’.

The majority (if not all) of the components are outsourced and you can imagine during the production life of a particular model the money people will be trying to do deals to get the best price, potentially changing suppliers or playing one of against an other.

I’ve previously commented on the quality of various items on early spec cars compared to late. The carpet being the most obvious but I’ve even noticed things like the vacuum connector on the back of early clocks are metal compared with plastic fittings on later cars.

This list you’re compiling is so geeky…. I love it. Keep up the good work

Reply #10
Just discovered my OEM 6x4 rear speakers marked with VW logo are also branded :

Isophon.

It was quite hard to read the logo and I thought it was Ispohen, which gave lots of pharmaceutical links when Googling, but eventually I found it.

The company is still going but now known as GAUDER AKUSTIK. It’s a German company, which makes sense and in old money West Germany too, so clearly a local supplier to Wolfsburg.

I may have been wrong with my earlier comment that I believed Nokia was a supplier. I’m not sure how strong Japan and German trade connections was in the 80/90s. Maybe it’s later, more modern VW that I’ve seen Nokia in.

Anyway back to GAUDER AKUSTIK, a little snippet from their website:

“Formerly known as „Isophon“ our loudspeakers face the highest reputation worldwide. “

And I have to be fair, the 30 year old paper cones I’ve just removed did still sound pretty decent with a very good range considering the size too.

Reply #11
I'm pretty sure Nokia was a supplier, I've pulled their speakers out of far too many Mk2s/Corrados to be a coincidence
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v