Skip to main content
Topic: Best way to record a full restoration?  (Read 373 times) previous topic - next topic

Best way to record a full restoration?

does anyone else watch full restoration videos on YouTube? if so how are they recording them / best way to log it all? webcam, security camera etc etc

Re: Best way to record a full restoration?

Reply #1
Personally I'm alone when working on the car, so unless I grow another pair of hands it's nigh on impossible to stop every 5 minutes to take a piccy.

Videoing might be the answer but I'm not very photogenic and prone to swearing.

Depends on what you're goal is I suppose... to document a restoration as proof of work done or just keeping a forum thread going for amusement.

I've started taking pics of parts bought (with boxes) and finished work on items that have been refurbished.

My car's a keeper but never say never and if circumstances change I may have to sell it - buyers love photo's.

Likewise if it were ever subject to an insurance claim it's more ammunition in a fight to get it's worth back... that was a top tip from an insurance accessor who did a valuation recently for me (to get an agreed value on a car).

Reply #2
I try to take photos at the start/end of every day.
Also, I find running a build thread on the forum a good way.
I'm sure I've sold cars just because people are familiar with the car through reading the thread.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #3
Lost to the old forum (although I have copied my posts to a Wordpress site, but it's not as easy to follow) by previous golf had an epic 150 page build thread on here. I did consider using one of those online photobook products and getting it all printed out as a permanent memory.

But taking pics and putting up a build thread is a great solution, when I look back at stuff I've done over the years it surprises me as there's so much I've done.

My BMW thread is a good example as I'd forgotten quite how much I did.
https://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/clubforum/index.php?topic=149.0