Skip to main content
Topic: Electrolysis (Read 1258 times) previous topic - next topic

Electrolysis

I would have had this as a topic on the old forum but I must presume the content was last in the mover to the new platform.  Anyway, I was going through my images and came across these so thought I'd post up.

Pretty self explanatory from the pictures without need for a description and dead easy to set up with an old battery, charger, washing up bowl, some jump leads, and old bit of metal (brake disc), water and bicarbonate of soda.

And this is the build up on the collector

Re: Electrysis

Reply #1
Going to try this... looks perfect for bigger / awkward pieces, satisfying too!

Re: Electrysis

Reply #2
I've got a lot of this to do soon!

Thinking about buying a plating kit, so I can get the blue tinged OEM look to them.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Re: Electrolysis

Reply #3
I had mixed results with different items. But my approach was not particularly scientific. It's not like I ever measured the water or bicarb so the solution mix was always pot luck.

I have a trickle charger/battery optimiser so again, steady low input over a longer period of time. With a proper 12v controller results might be better.

I looked into plating also, just didn't really have the need at the time. I probably have a bigger need for an anodising kit for motorbike parts as they're mostly aluminium. 

Reply #4
I do both, electrolytic rust conversion and zinc plating.  The results look something like but rust conversion cannot replace metal lost to rust.  So the parts have a pitted look.  All of the components in this picture were rusty and have been rust converted and plated including the black bolts, the dull look is due to each getting a coat of preserving wax.  I intend to never do this job again.

Reply #5
That bay looks absolutely fantastic!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #6
Thank you, I'll put some bay pictures on my build thread the next time I update.

But thinking about it most bays are more impressive than mine, stripped back to bare metal etc. Mine has many rough edges by comparison but is, I would estimate, 80% original.

I think it is the plating of all of the small components that creates the impression  that it is better than it is.

Reply #7
As someone who is going through a resto at the moment, I can see all the small touches that have gone into it.
For example, I can see the gasket on the gearbox looks new, the oil filter housing is mint, as is the wiring loom shrouding and electrical connectors.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #8
Let’s pick this up when I post pictures on my build thread, there is a risk I could ambush a thread that every restorer will find useful.
The gearbox gasket is new, the underside of the box was wet with gear oil.
The oil filter housing was boiled in caustic soda. But not for long, it will dissolve.
The loom shrouding is new, I melted the original while cleaning the bay with a heat gun.
All ellectrical connectors are original, scrubbed in petrol or boiled in caustic soda depending on the state they were in.
Wires you can see to the dizzy are original, just wiped with Wonder Wipes. Others are spliced in replacements.

Reply #9
Must admit, it makes for a very impressive presentation.
 Though, I take it that's a mock up, as I can't see any hose clips?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
Yes, mock up so that I could cut all of the new wires to the correct length before crimping new terminals.
Also allowed me to identify missing fixings and hose clips.
The large zinc plated hose clips are in place. The rest were etch primed yesterday. Ill let it cure well then paint them brown, blue or green.

Reply #11
as for the washing soda thing.. ..is the power consumption worth it ?

regarding zinc, there was an electroplating part
in @Monkey 's illustrated thread about gti restoration,
which i enjoyed very much.

as he did, i will probably try this one day, too.

@PWardy you regretted it ? to messy ?

Reply #12
@mk24ever I don't regret setting up an electrolysis tank.  I use it constantly as I keep myself busy with restorations.

It is a very messy process, the tank and the sacrificial anode have to be kept clean.  The liquids, solids and slime that result and have to be disposed of stain heavily.  My tank in action this morning, the white foam is an indicator that the component is rust converted.  Also looks like the tank needs a clean, it was cleaned just two days ago.

Powder consumption is one scoop for a tank of that size.  Scoops are supplied with the powder.  Power consumption is minimal:

This is a selection of mainly MK2 parts that have been through electrolysis and have been etched overnight to remove old zinc plating.  They are rust free and zinc free ready for plating.  Most likely today.

Reply #13
why to remove old zinc plating ?

Reply #14
To apply new zinc to a constant thickness.