Skip to main content
Topic: MK2 Tailgate (Read 441 times) previous topic - next topic

MK2 Tailgate

Hello All,

I've just purchased a 1991 MK2 GTI for restoration and need a replacement tailgate. Firstly, I'm assuming that the 3 door tailgate is the same as the 5 door tailgate. Is that correct, and does anybody have one for sale?

Cheers

Re: MK2 Tailgate

Reply #1
Hi,

Yes they are the same.
I don't have one (literally just picked on up for my own resto), but where are you based?
Might be easier to find a breaker near you, so you can go check it out first.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #2
Sorry can't help, as I don't have one for sale.

But yes, 3 and 5 door are identical, and same across all years* Things to watch, GTI spoiler goes through holes in the glass so again don't worry if you can only get a non-GTI one, you can just swap your glass over.

91 GTI, I suspect you have vacuum central locking. The boot lock is different to non C/L there's a little extra tab on the back, so if it comes with a lock (it might not) you'll probably want to change your lock over anyway.

When refitting the boot lock plinth, use Stainless screws.

*early ones (pre88) have holes half way pillar on the inside, with an oval bung. These give access to the wires for the heated screen. These holes are missing on later ones, I guess VW worked out an easier way to feed the wires at the factory. If you get a pin tool you can take the plugs off the end of the cables and feed the wires through. If you don't you'll have to cut and join which is not ideal.

Reply #3
I've got one pre 88(see above post) upper holes are not mint but saveable. I'm in Devon.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys