Skip to main content
Topic: Jetta Water Leaking Into Passenger Footwell (Read 1254 times) previous topic - next topic

Jetta Water Leaking Into Passenger Footwell

Hi guys,

New here but I need some help!
I've got a 1991 Jetta with a persistent water leak into the passenger footwell, it gets in through a seam in the bodywork that's just above the glovebox, I'll add a pic below.

I've gone through all the usual fixes and I've even bonded the outer facing windscreen rubber to the body in hopes that would fix the issue but I still get a few drops in!
My dad is an aircooled VDub owner and has been saying "its an old car, it'll leak" but I refuse to accept that.

(The picture) https://photos.app.goo.gl/iuSTgLKNXYszc9qRA

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

Re: Jetta Water Leaking Into Passenger Footwell

Reply #1
I had the same on my Golf on the drivers side just above the fuesbox.

I feared that the windscreen lip in the scuttle had rusted through as can be common, especially once you get to the stage of seeing rust bubble under the seal, which I couldn't though, so took the screen out.

Thankfully this was the worse that I found.

So I was relieved there was no rot, and what was there was cleaned up and treated, but still confused as to what the leak issue was though as a large hole here would have made so much sense.

Anyway, I managed to break the windscreen when removing, but National Windscreens fitted a new one for £95 and even allowed me to choose one with a tinted sun strip.

I asked for a new seal but the fitted said the old one was fine and decided to reuse the original.

It hasn't leaked since (fingers crossed) That was at the start of March and we've had a fair bit of rain since then.

Reply #2
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply!

At this point I'm thinking of doing that same but my head is racked because the seal is bonded to the body so it could only get in now via the part of the windscreen that has the actual glass in it.

I might look into those windscreen guys and see what they say!

Reply #3
The rubber seal has drain holes in it, so if water can get between the glass and the rubber it can come out of a hole and bypass where you have sealed the rubber to the body. I also tried sealing my seal with windscreen sealant but it failed to resolve the issue. Removing the screen was my last resort. I still can't explain why it's OK now. as nothing was really done, screen out, screen back in, using the same seal. I guess it just gave the seal change to re-seat.

The only other thing I can think of would be the chance of rot at the bottom of the A Pillar. Have you had the wings off to check, or at least the inner arch liners out and had a good feel around at the top most corner?

Reply #4
I haven't had the wheel arches off but that's something I might do when the weather clears up a bit!

I would say taking the screen out is my last resort too but its even worse that I don't have a garge or cover to do it so I need a hot clear day to do it  :))

Reply #5
I would add that water tracks to the lowest point so where it exits is not always where it enters.
scs

Reply #6
Yeah I just went out to the Jetta now and theres no sign of water beneath the seal that holds the windscreen glass, I have absolutely no idea where it could begin to get into the car. Honestly stumped.

I don't want to let it get the better of me  :D

Reply #7
I haven't had the wheel arches off but that's something I might do when the weather clears up a bit!

I would say taking the screen out is my last resort too but its even worse that I don't have a garge or cover to do it so I need a hot clear day to do it  :))

I feel you pain, I have a garage but me and my son have motorbikes in there, so had to wait till my son had a few days off so we could temporarily move them out the way and get the car in. It usually lives outside.

It is possible and to get a mk2 golf 100% dry inside, I went through a fair few fixes on my old one, and had this issue on my current one. This is the most puzzling I know, but I think screen out is your only option if you've done all the other fixes.

Do you have a sunroof? going back to the A pillars, the sunroof drains run down them. When it's dry pour water down the drain and make sure it comes out the inner arch (you can pull the tube back inside the door shut if that's easier) and check no 'stray' water is making it through that seam in your pic.

Reply #8
For what its going to cost I would do what Eddy did and remove the windscreen and refit it. That an easy job and eliminates one possible cause.
scs

Reply #9
So water can get through that seam via the A-Pillar? If you're right I didn't even realise it was able to get in that way!

Ill try your drain trick tonight because I think its just gonna be cloudy today by me.

Reply #10
Right I've just ran out to take a look, I may have found the problem?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GRPPGfp4s3ssoAQA

If I shine my phone like down it i think I can see a bit of a hole, not sure if its just my eyes playing up though.

Could this be it?

Reply #11
So water can get through that seam via the A-Pillar? If you're right I didn't even realise it was able to get in that way!

Ill try your drain trick tonight because I think its just gonna be cloudy today by me.

It shouldn't, but if the top of the drain tube had rotted out, along with the base of the A pillar it could be a possibility.

Reply #12
Right I've just ran out to take a look, I may have found the problem?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GRPPGfp4s3ssoAQA

If I shine my phone like down it i think I can see a bit of a hole, not sure if its just my eyes playing up though.

Could this be it?

Yep! I'd say that's it. Wing off, rubber gutter trim off (be careful not to kink it) and that'll give you a good look. You might get away without needing to take the screen out so all fixable outdoors.

Good luck.

Interesting you have a white one. I was having a chat with a fellow member recently that pointed out over his history of working on them white ones tend to be the worse for rust.

I've had 3x white ones, including the one I have now. And only 1 non white.

The only reason I could think of would be as white is reflective it wouldn't heat up as much as a darker colour and therefore when wet it doesn't get the chance to dry out as much as a heat retaining darker colour when the sun comes out ??? it was an odd observation, but there must be something in it. He knows his stuff!

Reply #13
Thank you for your help and insight mate its really appreciated!

Yeah I don't see too many golfs and jettas that are white to be honest!
Ill give an update if it fixes the issue, honestly praying it does 😂