Skip to main content
Topic: Original trim. (Read 630 times) previous topic - next topic

Original trim.

Hi,

I have a 1991 1.6 (Cat) Driver 5 door in Pasander blue.
Currently it has a grille without the red stripe, a front bumper without a red or chrome stripe and a back bumper with the upper chrome stripe. The door window surrounds are in black and the door handles inserts are chrome.
What was this cars original spec? Did it have red bumpers/grille or plain grille and chrome inserts on the bumpers?
Any help greatly appreciated as I'd like to get it original if possible.

Re: Original trim.

Reply #2
Your boot sticker may give some indication - once you decode it

Reply #3
Had a google of driver brochures, doesn’t appear to be a stripe on the bumper in most cover pictures … However the later 1991 brochure shows a Driver with a red strip bumper… could have been an end of the line load it with all the goodies thing … perhaps you could benefit from finding a brochure on line

Reply #4
Thanks for the info :)

Reply #6
Some Drivers came with grey stripe bumpers, Capri green did and I think Pasadena blue might have also. The only chrome trim on the outside is the VW emblem on the grill, the door handles should have black plastic inserts and no red stripe on the grill either.

Also you should have the smaller CL type chin spoiler and no tailgate spoiler, but you should have the later small bumper arch trims same as the GTI's had.

Reply #7
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the info about spec. I’ve found this grille for sale locally and couldn’t resist. I know I said I was keeping it original and it shouldn’t have the red trim, but I think it looks very sexy.

[attachment deleted by admin due to attachment age]