Skip to main content
Topic: Matt's Mk2 16v Oakie + other occasional VW cameos (Read 3558 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Matt's Mk2 16v Oakie + other occasional VW cameos

Reply #30
Monday updates! I put a wanted advert out for some rainbow door cards and the chap who contacted me knew the car (it was his mates) and he had done some work on it. He told me the coilovers have just been rebuilt (Koni adjustables) and it has had welding on the jacking points and the driver side top of inner arch. Sills themselves are good. He wasn't involved in the engine swap but the original engine is in his mates lock up.

Next up was to review the cambelt as I looked at my mk3 and noted the tensioner tension setting looked a bit different to what was done on the mk2.

This is how the mk2 was after changing the belt and tensioner. It had good tension on the belt but not quite right i don't think:

I then found the tension setting guide:

So i set about and adjusted the tensioner. Now I have watched the belt getting done and been hands on with the tensioner I would be confident doing the job myself next time.

Next up was figuring out the high idle. I searched for air leaks using carb cleaner but couldn't find anything except this

I have temporarily repaired with Bison rubber glue. On reinstalling the revs did drop a little to say 1200 at idle.

I also cut down some of the vac lines - they were very long. I also sprayed carb cleaner at the injectors looking for leaks but nothing.

I then screwed out the idle screw as far as it would go to check there was some sort of seal in there - i think there is:

I then started looking at the wiring for obvious breakages etc but didn't see anything. I'm not that happy with how this area looks - the red wire appears to go from coil into the red and back wire and then the red black wire also goes to the coil - assume it is spliced elsewhere as there are two red and black wires in the loom.

If any one has a picture of how the wiring is supposed to look at the coil that would be great to use as a reference to tidy mine.

Anyway futher testing and something more concrete on fault finding- I found if I unplugged the ISV (i cleaned it with carb cleaner on ignition) the idle drops down to 950rpm. If I re-plug it back in the idle remains as 950rpm. However if I restart the engine with ISV plugged in the idle is back up at 1200rpm constantly. I'm not sure if it is a wiring issue, controller issue or a duff ISV or something else altogether. Which is the main temp sensor controlling ISV load?

I also played about with disconnecting the throttle microswitch. This did nothing with the engine note. I also rev'd to say 2000RPM and manually pressed the switch and that did nothing either.

Thanks!

Reply #31
Hmmm, could be a sticking ISV, have you tried moving it by hand, to see if it moves freely?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #32
 I had a similar issue with being unable to get the idle below 1000rpm . Not sure if there if there is any connection but I replaced my rocker box gasket recently  and found the rocker cover breather gauze heavily blocked.  I cleaned it out put the cover back on and had to turn the idle adjusting screw several turns to get the idle up to 800rpm.
scs

Reply #33
Hmmm, could be a sticking ISV, have you tried moving it by hand, to see if it moves freely?

I can see it moving inside when on ignition during cleaning - is there any more to it than that - novice here ha :D

I had a similar issue with being unable to get the idle below 1000rpm . Not sure if there if there is any connection but I replaced my rocker box gasket recently  and found the rocker cover breather gauze heavily blocked.  I cleaned it out put the cover back on and had to turn the idle adjusting screw several turns to get the idle up to 800rpm.
scs

I could go that route next actually as the rocker cover is leaking at the back. Is 800rpm the correct idle then on these? 950 is still high it seems then on mine.

Reply #34
Idle for a K-Jet is around 950-1000.

Not sure how much an 8v differs to a 16v in terms of set up but I suspect not much. The idle is set on the fuel metering head not the screw on the throttle body, and that screw should have an o-ring, they tend to go brittle and and deformed. You'll most likley need to fit a new one now you've moved it.

Reply #35
Does that idle screw on the TB come out then? It met resistance at that point so didn't force it.

My next job to research after this is dropping the subframe enough to install an ARB i've bought (currently missing) and I assume the subframe needs to be dropped to change the rear engine mounts too - engine has more movement that i'd expect. Also the 4 branch is very close to the bulk head so that can come off for a stock version.

The subframe itself is new so I am hoping bolts will not be a bugger.

Reply #36
Certainly on the 8v k-jet I'm used ot the screw comes all the way out, I'd expect the same on this. I imagine the resistance is the hard crusty seal that used to be a soft rubber o-ring.

A quick Google search shows...

https://www.maxrpm.de/Idle-screw-for-Golf-MK1-Golf-MK2-GTI-16V-GTI-Scirocco-EX-DX-EG-KR16V?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtrSLBhCLARIsACh6RmjhV_AlRynW5c8tmEVHFpfkHd802m7UqUxZZt5_x1WOSuG1sky3HF4aAigUEALw_wcB

but also shows https://www.maxrpm.de/Idle-screw-for-2H-PG-G60-9A-PL-KR-engines-OEM-051-133-432 for the KR.

but either way both have an O-ring, so worth checking it.

Reply #37
Ah thanks Eddy, the second one looks more like mine - longer shaft ohh err :D

Cheers and I'm getting my head around the K Jet resources in your sig. I will likely end up getting it tuned on a rolling road but would be nice to understand it myself first.

Looks like I'll have to find a K Jet 8v to add to the collection with all this new found knowledge.... perhaps something red for my wife's valentine's next year to replace the mk3 she wasn't particularly over the moon with.

Reply #38
Right plan for dropping the subframe enough to change the rear engine bush (PN 191 199 381 A) will be

1. Support engine with one of those bars with chains across the top
2. Undo tie rods
3. Undo engine mounts
4. Supporting subframe on a jack
5. Undo subframe bolts and wishbone bolts
6. Lower enough on a jack to change ARB and change engine mount.

I'll leave top mounts and hub assembly in the car dangling. Does that sound good? Would anyone do anything differently?

Reply #39
I'm going to be after rainbows for this but thank you for the heads up.

Noted these rainbows on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374372119443036/permalink/3051271041753127/?sale_post_id=3051271041753127&app=fbl
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #40
Thanks Andy. I have been trying to buy those rainbows for weeks it feels. The seller is busy with work. I have even found a courier company who will wrap them for transport so all he needs to do it pass them over.

I haven't done much on the mk2. Half holidays meant we were away. I'm focusing on my mk3 as I want it out of the garage and under a car cover for the winter - I've painted the drivers sill following welding and dinitrol wax and undersealed it underneath. The car needs some paint but I can't afford those pennies this close to xmas and with all the parts I am buying for my mk2 so it is going on the back burner for a while.

In other news I found some photos of the car on instagram and got chatting to the owner.
-he did the engine coversion, still has the original engine he would sell.
-I preferred the car on the 15in OZ Turbos it had before
-the ABF block had done 86k
-he sold it with the custom interior so the chap i bought from is the one who chucked in random interior parts

I am stockpiling parts in the post - bushes, ARB, door cards etc etc so will have an enjoyable winter on the car.

I am currently refurbishing some Borbet Cs which will be temp wheels until next summer. I can't justify buying nice alloys yet.

The only real thing of interest is messing about with the ISV - unplugging it brings the idle to 950RPM, plugging it back in maintains 950rpm but restarting with ISV connected takes idle back to 1200rpm. Squeezing the ISV pipes doesn't do anything.

Here's a vid of the testing - you can hear the change in exhaust note when i disconnect it. I'll source another ISV I think and if that doesn't do it then i'll look at the controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX4g0ySGx0o

Reply #41
Some goodies have arrived to get this car more stock and even better quality/condition.

Reply #42
And a few updates on the mk3 16v. Welding all done, painted where I felt I could do it. I only used a rattle can on the blended section on the rear 3/4 plus wet sanding and polishing - turned out ok i thought! First time I've ever painted.

Reply #43
Those wheels look great!

Good work on the mk3 too
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #44
Cheers Monkey, learning as I go!

Picked up a new downpipe from @marcosgt yesterday. He has a lovely black GTI that served as great motivation to get mine where I want it. It was fun squeezing it in our courtesy hyundai i10 which was already full with 4x alloys, a piano stool and a Golden Retriever in the boot. Thankfully my mum was looking after my kids. My wife had a minor bump in the family estate car earlier in the week,

Since the subframe has to be dropped to install the ARB I'll bin the 4 branch at the same time. I bought a cast 16v manifold in good condition too.

I sold my 16v Corrado in Wales this week too, hence picking up the exhaust enroute home, as that project was not going anywhere and frees up some pennies to get both 16vs back on the road. Well the mk2 has a MOT but I just want to perfect it a little further and give the underside a good going over and protect it where any underseal may have flacked away etc.