Skip to main content
Topic: Isaac - 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v... (Read 16822 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Isaac - 1992 Alpine White GTI 8v...

Reply #270
More mistakes... Bosch belt is 1 987 947 790, told you I was tired.

Reply #271
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure there should be an inner cam belt cover that goes between the cam belt and the alternator.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #272
Just loose fitting everything / checking nothings missing. Covers accounted for and safe to one side for final build up.

Any thoughts on belt issue, found an old post on ClubGTI were some one had a similar problem, but no real answer given.

Reply #273
Some of you may have seen me posting this elsewhere and the replies... long story, short despite being the recommended length of 730mm the general consensus is 732mm is also available (as is 735mm) for the PB and used without issue.

So, after spending the morning juggling every possible combo., it's clear the belts (lack of) length is what's causing the problem, next size up it is then!

Reply #274
I had a real issue getting the correct PAS belts for my old 8v Kjet. So many different options are listed depending on the spec of the particular vehicle. I swapped out a few wrongly purchased belts before I gave up looking at the spec list and just measured the belt I'd take off and bought the same again - it was not any of the sizes listed for any specification but it worked, so no idea what was going on. Someone suggested that maybe the PAS had been fitted later and wasn't factory spec but I doubt that.

Reply #275
Hang on..... you've got the Water pump and PAS sharing a belt and the Alternator on its own!!!!

I have to admit I haven't inspected my PB that closely but remember on my k-jet EV the alternator and water pump shared a belt, the PAS was on its own.

I know this because my Alternator belt snapped and I thought, that's OK I can get home without the battery charging it'll be OK.... and 5 mins later I noticed the car was getting very very hot :o

I assumed they were all the same set-up - that said, it would make sense that the car is designed so it doesn't overheat if the alt belt goes so maybe they changed it on later ones. But if the water pump and alt shared the same line, they'd be able to overlap the PAS pulley.

Reply #276
I woke at around 4am this morning thinking something similar... that maybe the belts are in the wrong place?

Scared the wits out of the dog going out to the garage to check, or else I'd never have gone back to sleep.

The PAS / water pump and the smaller outer crankshaft pulleys all line up together, the alt. and rearmost larger crank pulley are by themselves.

It's entirely down to the PAS belt being way too tight a fit... because of how the bracket works the tension is pulling the PAS pump up towards the water pump, but also more worryingly taking it away from the vertical too, meaning they're not only touching but not perfectly aligned either.

Not an ideal pic. to show the correct alignment, infact makes them look way off, but this is it set up perfectly, obviously less the belt.

Reply #277
Re the PAS belt I found it difficult to fit the PAS belt so that there was enough length to get over the pulleys and still sufficient adjustment to stop the belt squealing. I found I had to loosen the PAS pump so that the pulley was offset and iserted in the water pump pulley. Otherwise when I tightened the belt up it was still too loose.
Edit..I'm not sure I've ever changed the belt until I did the aircon install. With hindsight the belt was quite thin so sat low in the pulley groove so that probably didn't help!
The MK2 PAS belt adjuster isn't great. The MK3 PAS adjuster is like the MK2 alternator adjuster and much better.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #278
I found pics on this site, via a Google image search which shows the set-up I was explaining.
http://www.vwgolf-mk2.com/evbeltreplacement040403.html

The PAS is clearly on its own and the water pump runs with the alternator belt. I would go and check my car, but I've had to park it down the street as I'm expecting a delivery of patio slabs so had to clear the driveway... and I can't be bothered.  :))

Although I think aircon is part of that configuration.

Edit: found another one...

Reply #279
Good wee site that, comes up quite often when searching things... suspect it's because he's already gone through what I'm having to go though now and we're getting our heads around the same issues.

It's interesting too that he mentions in a final update moving up from a 630 PAS belt to a 635 and that things fitted much better.

Don't see a 635 mentioned on 7Zap (maybe a Japanesse spec. thing?), but in addition to the PB's 730 there's a 633 and a 650 plus a 740 for certain engine codes... easy to see how things might get confused.

Like you say I think his car has aircon which seems to change things further.

It was mentioned elsewhere about different pulley sizes, though I've since checked and mine are PB with PAS correct (and appear original) to the car so didn't take that any further... but again did seem to may be variations for different enginecodes.

Reply #280
Re the PAS belt I found it difficult to fit the PAS belt so that there was enough length to get over the pulleys and still sufficient adjustment to stop the belt squealing. I found I had to loosen the PAS pump so that the pulley was offset and iserted in the water pump pulley. Otherwise when I tightened the belt up it was still too loose.
Edit..I'm not sure I've ever changed the belt until I did the aircon install. With hindsight the belt was quite thin so sat low in the pulley groove so that probably didn't help!
The MK2 PAS belt adjuster isn't great. The MK3 PAS adjuster is like the MK2 alternator adjuster and much better.

Yes, it needed the water and PAS pulleys both off and then prised onto the pump shafts while under the belt to get it to work, two pairs of hands would've helped.

Longer belt should be the solution... I'd imagine it's a tricky enough job in situ on the car when everything fits, be impossible as it stands.

Reply #281
Built up the engine as much as possible... by which I mean temporarily hung things where they're (hopefully!) meant to be and account for every last nut and bolt.

Ignore things like the wrong exhaust fastenings - they're just holding it together, pending the correct one time use copper nuts going on.

Wouldn't say panic has set in, but definitely a sense of urgency... just so much to do and not long to do it.

Next job's trying to identify and match what's in the photos to what's on the car and re-label it all so there's no ambiguity as to what goes where.

You'll maybe remember I mentioned the notes on the original labels had faded so as to be unreadable.

Quite a bit I still remember, some I can work out from trawling the inter-web, but you can expect to be getting some questions.

Reply #282
Are you sure thats not a new engine you have bought

Reply #283
Are you sure thats not a new engine you have bought
I don't think there'll be a difference between that and brand new!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #284
Love the amount of care you have put into this. Have you kept track of man hours?

I've ordered one of those steering boot protectors too. My old boot fell apart when I touched it!