Skip to main content
Topic: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White (Read 20187 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White

Reply #180
how does it look like, when it is mounted ? would bee nice to see :-)

Reply #181
If you look back to my posts last summer you'll see I made the best of a fairly substandard rear bumper. Anyway, I saw an opportunity pop up on fb so I made a buy!

A bargain genuine rear bumper with iron and brackets, that cost half as much again to get it shipped from Scotland, but still I've been looking for a while and they don't come up very often these days and when they do they're either knackered or massively overpriced.

There were a few issues with shipping as the first courier booked failed to show, but credit to the seller he stuck with it and shipped via Paisley Freight in the end.

A little bit of a tidy up needed, but it's just a flakey surface, the metal is all solid:

Nothing that can't be sorted with a wire wheel and some chassis paint.

And obviously, it'll need painting so the odd scuff is not a problem:

The black part is OK too, but not perfect. The texture paint I used on my current bumper came out OK so I'm yet undecided if I should restore that part too when I get round to painting or keep the original surface, scars and all, for an authentic look.

Anyway, I have other projects to deal with first, need to do some work on my bike so nothing will happen with this anytime soon but at least I know I've now sourced a decent bumper. And it weighs next to nothing compared to that tow bar one I have. It'll be good to lose those extra kilos off the rear end.

Reply #182
I see all the wedges are missing. Was surprised to see how much they are new from VW Heritage. Maybe another candidate for 3D printing.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #184
I was missing two from the front bumper, they push into some of the plastic tangs of the plastic bumper skin that protrudes back through holes in metal cross member. Think the idea is they spread the plastic out and hold it in place, have serrated sides to lock themselves in place.

Andy's right, not cheap for all they are. Got mine at Heritage in the end (191807153) as they were the cheapest.

Found someone 3D'ing them but they were asking more for the copies than the real thing.

Might have misremembered, but might be on Thingverse already, maybe another Monkey project?

Reply #185

No. 13... four needed according to 7Zap.

Mislead you a bit, unfortunately the 3d ones I remembered are in Germany - Doesn't post to the UK, but at 20 Euro for 10 of them would've been better value and done both bumpers with some to spare.

eBay.de

Reply #187
You can "economize" like I did and insert them alternately only you would know!

I removed my rear bumper to install a towbar. To re-attach the bumper bar to the plastic outer I laid the outer on a a multi folded sheet on the lawn so it didn't get damaged and stood on the bar whilst encouraging the plastic clips through the holes in the bar. Annoyingly they have a habit of popping out as you move from one side to the other.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #189
The best reason of all.

Reply #190
Personally, I think you should paint the car to match the bumper!

Also, find me an STL and I'll print the bumper bits out for you.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #191
Not a lot has been going on, just been using the car.

Met up with my old car (the one on the right) at the Bristol meet at the start of June.

I've been using the car for the commute when I go into work. Unfortunately you have to book parking spots via an app and don't get to choose where you're allocated and it seems I'm regularly given a spot under the trees, so it's lots of sap as well as poop  :'(

So with that in mind, and the amount of contamination (rusty dust spots) all over the paint from the cutting, grinding and welding I did last year....

... and with the National Meet looming. I've started the paint correction process.

The temperatures have clearly been building up in my garage, as I discovered my clay bar has melted...

I managed to pick out a big enough lump to work with.

One issue though, I used my sunroof the other day. Certainly this first time this year and since I didn't get the car back on the road till the end of last year I don't think it's been used since getting the car.

It's hard to show in the pics, but I've got a scuff so need to look at the alignment.

Which is a shame as shut it sits really nice and I know on my old one the sunroof seemed to sit a fraction lower than the roof line. Perhaps this is why. I'll see if I polish it some more if I can reduce it further. I didn't get a before shot but this was after doing some work on it.

Reply #192
What about an after shot of the paint correction?
I love seeing the clean ones!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #193
What about an after shot of the paint correction?
I love seeing the clean ones!

It's the start of a long ongoing process, but hoping to have gone over the whole car by the National for the reveal - that said, I should* be at the Bristol meet next Friday, Caffeine and Machine on the 5th and potentially Queen Square meet on the 10th so there's some opportunity to see work in progress.

* I say 'should' I have to take Carole to the airport at 4am Saturday morning, so not sure if my going out on Friday night will go down too well as I'll probably need to do her packing  :o

Re: LUCY ‘91 Mk2 Golf GTI Alpine White - Caffeine and Machine.

Reply #194
For anyone on the fb groups you'll have no doubt seen a Mk2 meet at Caffeine and Machine went ahead this week. Well I happened to have the day off and my family were away so an ideal opportunity to indulge myself.

It was an hour and a half away so normally I wouldn't probably have gone. I had planned to take the day to continue decontamination of the paintwork, but one thing led to another with jobs around the house so before I knew it I had about an hour before I needed to leave if I wanted to get there at the start and bag a good spot. So a quick bucket of soapy water was in order but I did leave time to finish one little job.

When I had all the trims off I FOREVER BLACKed them, but I never did the rub strips as they didn't come off. I didn't want to get any on the paint, so masked up.....

Then I hit the road... arriving dead on 5 o'clock. The official start time, and I'd seen strict messages not to arrive before, but on entry found already a decent number of Mk2's already on the site.

My original parking spot

But after a straggling non-mk2 (Actually as McLaren) moved off I asked the stewards if I could move and they were happy to allow it.

So here's my image dump.

In the overflow carpark....

and around the grounds...