Skip to main content
Topic: Eddypeck's '93 BMW 318i Touring (Read 1933 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Eddypeck's '93 BMW 318i Touring

Reply #15
Yeah, October 2009 on the front page.

Still kicking yourself for selling it?
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #16
Can't keep them all unfortunately. And ultimately it was Carole's car. It was a beaut, though. As I understand it, it's now a well loaded 325. Which is fair enough! Carole likes the Mk5 which is good, hope to keep that for a good few years. Banking on that being a future classic and holding it's money well. Good clean examples are certainly fewer and values seem to be rising already.

The one I think I'm kicking myself the most about though is the old Suzuki motorbike. It was a really cool bike, which would be Tax and MOT exempt now. I was using it for the commute to work but it was a bit of an effort on the motorway so I had to sell it to get a bike that was slightly more functional. But knowing what I know now, working from home for the past year and hardly using my bike it would have been ok to keep it, if I only have to pop in to work occasionally and not do the 14k miles a year that I was doing it would have been fine. And if I was thinking of getting another I think I'd be out priced now, I got a\it for such a good price, be 2 or 3 times that now, more confirmation the 80s are cool.

Haven't bonded with my current bike so much, which is a shame as it's a bike I've wanted for years. Never meet your hero's as they say!

Oh, the old Beetle was up on eBay the other day. It's lived by the sea since I sold it and looked like the salty air had not been kind which was a shame. Ended for £700 less than I sold it for ... was it 4 years ago already? I think so.

Reply #17
I can't speak for the bikes, but I think you're right about the mk5.
They were lauded as the 'return of the GTI' when they come out, in a few year time, people will start to remember that and prices will rise.

It also helps the GTI cup smashes through them like there's no tomorrow.
My boss races in that series and he has 3!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #18
Awesome find!

Reply #19
For various reasons, I ended up talking about this car again recently which got me doing some research.

I was aware (or so the story went) the guy that bought it off me wanted to use it with some 'well-known' Japanese filmmaker to take a classic BMW bike to the Isle of Mann TT. It didn't have a tow bar so I know they needed to get one fitted - which I always thought was a bit of a shame.

Anyway, I was never able to find anything about this. After the filming was done the guy, some ex-army major I think, contacted me and asked if I wanted it back. And at the time I didn't/couldn't.

But a few clever Google searches now I I've finally found this:
https://photo.sina.cn/album_2_75165_95727.html?vt=4&hd=1

Still no sign of the film, but some nice stills at least.

Then I also discovered another owner replying to an Autocar tweet
https://twitter.com/GraemeNForrest/status/1338379789162438658

A looking on Gov MOT Check I find the car's dropped off. Surely it's not off the road!?!?!?

Then I discover it's now been shipped to Australia!
https://www.reddit.com/r/E30/comments/yli2do/we_never_got_these_in_australia_so_i_imported_one/

And on top of that, it looks like it's been converted to a 325 engine now.
https://www.facebook.com/jaber.ec/posts/pfbid0VaTGo68QnW4yEcsrSnKv4wxAFQawucvY8JkMiSNfMgMv7fzC4R4Fj4Eu9Ranq91Xl

I was always aware when I had it that it was most likely one of the best examples in the UK, this was reflected in the price I paid for it (even though I still had to do a shed load of work to it) which at the time was quite a bit for one of these. But as it seems to be a trend with my cast-offs, cars and bikes, the subsequent owners tend to take them to the next level.

I suppose I could take that as a compliment that my vehicles are at least a good base for a project. Maybe it's a sign that I need to invest the time and money myself to build a world-class example for me, and not just do the ground work for the next owners.

Reply #22
Love it and excellent detective work. I love the E30 BMW and enjoyed catching up on your findings!