Skip to main content
Topic: MK3 Aircon into MK2 anyone got a guide? (Read 7211 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MK3 Aircon into MK2 anyone got a guide?

Reply #45
Thanks Monkey.

I was hoping that I would only be removing the metal on the back face of the slam panel hence could leave it in situ. I'll have a look what is involved tomorrow.
I have some carry over leave from last year so I really do want to make some progress this next week.

Interestingly the front offside floor is now dry as a bone even after all this recent mad weather/rain. I suspect there was a leak, now fixed but I was also suffering from lots of condensation. The rear carpet is still drying out tho. Here's hoping.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #46
So today I removed the slam panel to make a cut-out for the AC condensor....Unfortunately the slam panel is a bit crusty with rust so I may need a new one. I used a hole saw and it faired quite well but wasn't man enough to cut through the double skinned metal, more shopping!
I also fitted the what turns out to be not a "PAC", but an C & A mount...It replaces the MK2 PAS swivel mount and secures both the AC compressor and the MK3 alternator.. It is now obvious why the mount has cut-outs for the compressor bolts because you need to fit the compressor bottom bolt first - good access from below the car, but the top bolt is too long to fit (Chassis rail in the way when the compressor is in. So you have to put the top bolt in about an inch and twist it into the "cut-out"...I'll take a retrospective piccy. That took a few mins of thinking !
Finally put the slam panel back and fitted the rad...hmm The MK2 8v radiator bottom outlet lines-up nicely with the side of the compressor....looks like I need to change the rad..I think 16v ones are smaller aren't they ??
Time-out to think on the next plan of attack and shop for parts.

Album updated

Aircon Album

Reply #47
After responses to a couple of posts on CLUBGTI from Rubjonny and Davidut5 who has actually done the aircon retrofit I ordered a MK2 aircon rad from Latvia (circa £47 all in) that was the only one I could find on ebay RADAD.....I must have been half asleep since there are some local UK suppliers I've subsequently found. The rad is about 675mm wide but the bottom hose outlet is angled down hence the hose will route under the compressor. Because the rad will sit snug in the first cross member hole next to the battery the existing top hose should be fine but I've ordered a new bottom hose. I've tempoarily rigged the existing rad up so I can flush the system of crap.
I tried to fit an 1148mm ribbed aux belt which is apparently a standard aircon fit but no joy. I had to fit a 1155mm and remove the alternator bolt so I could get it over. That's now sorted.
I now need to get a new v belt for the waterpump and PAS because none of mine are the right size - hmm.
Whist the PAS fluid is drained I've treated the resevoir to a dishwasher tablet soak. Might do that with the expansion tank too.
I have made another cut in the slam panel using a hacksaw since it looks like the original hole is in the wrong position. Luckily that cut is mainly through a single skin of metal. Not too bothered because the slam panel needs replacing due to it being rusty.
Driver's side floor still appears to be dry. I must have had some leak in the bulkhead since the indicators aren't working (hazzards are) and all leccy windows except for the drivers have stopped working too... Arrrgh.

Reply #48
The new rad arrived from Latvia on Thursday, well packed and undamaged.
On Bank Holiday Friday I connected the PAS up and fitted a new V belt. After the "minor" issue with the clutch I took the car for a run round - all good.
Have made-up some strips of metal so I can attach the fan cowling and condensor to the bigger rad.
Today its snowing!!!!

Reply #49
A little more progress...and I mean a little!

The new rad is in along with the the correct upper and lower hoses...With hindsight I should have used the aftermarket product codes (eg Gates) for the hoses and I could have got both hoses quicker from UK suppliers along with the aircon rad...lesson learned.
I made some metal strips so that both the condenser and fan shroud attach using the mounts on the sides of the rad. I didn't want to put holes through the perfectly straight fins. They could do with painting the strips properly which I'll do at a later stage, really wanted to stop them rusting.

I've trial fitted the Aircon hoses but don't have a clue how they route, particularly the evaporator (heater box) to compressor hose which is really long so must take a convoluted route . I think it goes in front of the radiator but now I've fitted the radiator I don't really want to remove it again. I may remove the grille, loosen the rad so I can move it across and see if I can work it out, otherwise cut it and route it along the cross member forward of the PAS pipes.....pondering. We have a few local companies that should be able to splice in the correct length of hose.

The pipe which goes from the evaporator to the drier routes across the top of the firewall and guess what ...that too seems to have a kink in the wrong place making it the wrong shape and a bit long. I'll do a bit of pipe bending to see if i can lose a bit of length since it is currently against the suspension mount, if not I'll modify that too. Fortunately the hose from the compressor to the condenser appears to fit fine but they are only about 600mm apart!

If I do use the original aircon hoses I'll have to move the expansion tank because the hose ends won't fit with it in its original location. I've temporarily undone both mounting nuts and moved the expansion tank forward as a temporary solution (attached only by the front mount), That seems to have done the trick. I wonder if the MK3 expansion tank mounting bracket is different ?

The indicators are still dodgy, sometimes the light stays on. I thought it was damp in the fuse box but a chance wriggle of the indicator stalk makes them flash...assume the switch is worn. Luckily I have a replacement.

More pics in the album:

Aircon Album

Reply #50
..... Oh that seems soo obvious now.....
I went to see a MK3 with aircon installed and I I've realised why the pipe from the evaporator won't fit...The MK3 is longer with a different shaped front...I guess I'll cut the MK3 pipes I have and get a local hydraulics company to join as appropriate. I'll use my plumbing pipe cutters !!

Reply #51
Hi, I've got a mk2 with factory aircon, not a great deal of direct help but maybe useful to see how they routed stuff etc.
Happy to send pics etc.
Out of interest the factory mk2 aircon airbox flaps all operate by vacuum hoses not cables.
Also the A/C cars (like the towing prepared cars) had the most powerful (250/150w) two speed fans (and two speed temp switches) and they ran on full speed whenever the A/C is switched on. Might be worth bearing that in mind.

Chris.

Reply #52
Hi Chris.
When I started on the road of installing this aircon I thought it was going to be much easier than it has been. With hindsight it would have been easier to pay for a MK2 aircon system but it wouldn't have been as much FUN....take that as an acronym for which the first word will be obvious  :D
I think I will use the aircon pipe ends which connect into the evaporator but I will get a local pneumatic pipe company to make up the extension into the dryer and to the pipe joint at the top of the fan shroud. The pipe from the fan shroud to the compressor (it joins there) and the pipe from the compressor to the top of the condenser are good to use. Finally the pipe from the bottom of the condenser will need to be made up because the MK3 one is too short!  Perhaps some pics will help.
Once I've sorted that it will need wiring up. I don't have too good a history of wiring stuff up tho  :D
It would be good to complete this summer however I fear that won't happen.
I do have a twin speed fan and am aware that the fan is required to help cool the refrigerant.
I'll replace the broken front big bumper side slides when I install the dryer since on the MK3 it fits in the front drivers wheel arch, There seems to be a circular mount there but I'm not sure what that is for, it's bigger than the dryer
Here's hoping for speedier progress!

edited to add pics...
https://ibb.co/x6VTvCW
https://ibb.co/Tbz34bv
https://ibb.co/b2jP2m7
https://ibb.co/zPSg38h

Reply #53
I really must push on with my AC project at some point.
I've been driving it about recently and remember why I started the project now!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #54
So yesterday I thought I'd go to Pirtek a pnuematic/aircon supplies company to see what I could cobble together. Their website said they opened at 8AM Saturday. I arrived at 815 and at 845 I rang the oncall number on the gate. Due to covid they no-longer work Saturdays. Hmmmm I'm a Mon-Fi 9-5er!
I think I need an extended lunch-break to move this forward.

Reply #55
Pirtek are pricey but should be able to sort, I went to them for a PAS hose on 308 before. Can't remember if I used them or another company due to price.

Reply #56
I'll put some pics of the A/C up tomorrow, the dryer on the mk2 is bottom nearside of the condenser directly connected to the condenser.
The A/C belt from the crank double pulley has jumped off twice in the past two days, been on for months fine.
Real pita as the alternator is driven from the compressor pulley so if the A/C one jumps/snaps you lose alternator and eventually the thing grinds to a halt. Not to mention the belt is captive as it's on the inner bottom pulley (PAS/water pump is on the outer) so if it jumps it just hangs there waiting to shred itself or jam something.
Can only be that the compressor or the compressor/alternator mounting bracket has moved and it's gone out of alignment wit the crank pulley, doesn't look bad but it's dark. The amount I had to move the compressor on it's adjuster to get the belt back on is crazy so it was definitely tight.
Got three new correct belts coming from Germany and I think I've even found a 026105243A, the holy grail of belt pulleys which has the rubber shock absorber built in, mine perished and fell to pieces and I replaced with an all metal one as couldn't find the correct one at the time so that might be having a negative effect with regard the belt jumping; the shock absorbing pulley is the inner one and only for A/C models. Hopefully I get an email from the Czech Republic tomorrow..
Chris.

Reply #57
Once I've sorted that it will need wiring up. I don't have too good a history of wiring stuff up tho  :D

The wiring to pull the compressor in is pretty simple actually, just a circuit with a dash switch and the HP and LP refrig switches in series and the fan relay can be done a couple of ways.

Reply #58
I have the engine bay wiring loom from the MK3 so that bit of the wiring should be sorted when I've separated it. Not all of it is labelled up especially the aircon sensors.
Re the aux belts. It''s now MK3 ribbed for the alternator and compressor.

Reply #59

The wiring to pull the compressor in is pretty simple actually, just a circuit with a dash switch and the HP and LP refrig switches in series and the fan relay can be done a couple of ways.
I might come back to you with some more specific queries if that is OK?

So not much progress with the aircon but had an auto electrician do the wiring of the electrical goodies up although the heated screen needs a bit more work.
I've been stuck on how to fit the aircon hoses for a while since the MK3 set-up isn't a direct fit!
The adapters and hose I "borrowed" from Pirtek were a bit chunky for my liking. I've looked at a few You Tube vids and in the US hot rodders use a clip together system.
I went to Carlton Hydraulics in Rotherham and they showed me Burgaclip by Burgaclip UK. That looks a neat system which I need to look at further. I think I'll use what I can of the MK3 piping/hoses and match-up with the Burgaclip. Time to look through their catalogue. Noted that the threads (US standard for aircon) match  and the flanges all except for the drier too. But they said they could sort that.