[ 0 ] (0%)
D
[ 0 ] (0%)
Something else
[ 2 ] (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Topic: Brake bleed kits (Read 1088 times) previous topic - next topic

Brake bleed kits

I'm sure any professional kit will show this stuff up to be the cheap crap it is, but when we're talking home, DIY, working on the car on the driveway at weekend kind of kit this cheap crap is sometimes all we need.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these type of kits and would recommend which to go for. They're all roughly the same price on eBay and all under £20.

In the past, I've always done the manual pump the pedal job. The last few times I've had to do brake work I've even had to do the manual pump-the-pedal method on my own, requiring a length of wood just long enough to wedge between the drivers seat and the brake pedal. Not fun, but successful if patient.

I have a compressor so that's it's not an issue going for an air-fed solution. 

A bonus would be a kit that will work on motorbikes as well as cars. 

Thanks in advance.

Re: Brake bleed kits

Reply #1
I've used Ezi Bleed in the past. But I didn't lower the pressure on the spare tyre I was using so had a bit of spillage. Lesson learned. It worked quite well.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #2
I've used Eezibleed for about 40 years.  They eventually leak and the pipes go crispy so I've got through a good few of them over the years.
However I too have a compressor so was considering an upgrade the next time the Eezibleed fails.  Following.

Edit. I quite like the look of D, was considering suction rather than pressure feed.  Less chance of spills in the engine bay.

Reply #3
I have Type A. Its worked for me but can be a bit tricky getting everything linked together and then staying together as it can pop off.
Mk2 Golf Riviera
Other toys

Reply #6
Here's the link for D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303940122637

After doing some further research, as well as gathering opinions from others it looks like a more expensive Sealey one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312970415904

(or a cheaper imitation.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284565732886)

Might be worth the extra investment.

This pressurises the system from the reservoir and pushes the fluid out through the caliper in the same way traditional bleeding works.

Opinions seem to be the vacuum ones, which all of the ones I originally listed are in some way or another, pulls the fluid out through the calliper via the bleed nipple, but it's notoriously hit and miss as to if you can get a good seal on the bleed screw for the vacuum to work and when you see bubbles it's hard to know if that's from the bleed process or new air introduced via a poor seal.

Reply #7
That is a good point regarding air being drawn in by a vacuum bleeder.  Perhaps the choice of tool should be:

Vac for servicing, there is no air in there?

Pressure for repairs when air is in there?

At £15 and no risk of fluid blown out in the engine bay I have a D on order.  Will report when the next car is serviced.

Reply #9
I completely rebuilt my brakes at a remote garage without power. Simply asked my Mrs to pump the brakes while I relived the bleed nipples. Didn’t take long and she quite enjoyed being in an oldish car. Win win?

Reply #10
I completely rebuilt my brakes at a remote garage without power. Simply asked my Mrs to pump the brakes while I relived the bleed nipples. Didn’t take long and she quite enjoyed being in an oldish car. Win win?

I’ve always done this, if not my wife then a drag the kids into it. I’ve never found it difficult or had any issues. I just like to be independent lol. And I like the idea of owning more gadgets now, I think I’m getting lazy in old age. I want tools to do the hard work now.

Reply #11

I’ve always done this, if not my wife then a drag the kids into it. I’ve never found it difficult or had any issues. I just like to be independent lol. And I like the idea of owning more gadgets now, I think I’m getting lazy in old age. I want tools to do the hard work now.
It must be an age thing because I too now have a thing about tools. I’ve yet to find one though that doesn’t need tidying away, and brings you a cup of tea when you have finished with it.

Reply #12
Still got the car in bits so it might be new year before I get chance to try it out, but here it is.

It feels like this is massively overkill for the task in hand, but I'm hoping it'll be one of those moments when I ask how did I ever manage without one before.

Reply #13
I have used a much cheaper one for many years

Old bottle

Length of silicone pipe 4mm ID

M5 bolt

Stick the bolt in one end

Make a small slit 20mm or so above the bolt, just one thin line

Done

When bleeding the pressure opens the slit as it can't go anywhere else then the slit closes after pressure is released.

Obviously some of those listed above are good bits of kit but this is another option that most people with have the parts for in there garage

Reply #14
Still got the car in bits so it might be new year before I get chance to try it out, but here it is.

It feels like this is massively overkill for the task in hand, but I'm hoping it'll be one of those moments when I ask how did I ever manage without one before.

You won't regret that,  I've had that older variant of that kit for years now, it's taken all the pain out of bleeding brakes!
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v