Skip to main content
Topic: Best Wheel Size for a Mk2 (Read 3465 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Wheel Size for a Mk2

As titled really, best wheel size size for a mk2?? I'm thinking 15's but then I like it OEM. Thoughts?

Re: Best Wheel Size for a Mk2

Reply #2
15's are an OEM size,
I'm running 16's, I think 17's are too big but there are a few that have managed it.

Reply #3
Was always under the impression that 15s are best. But I bought the current car with 17s. It rides a lot better than I expected even with the combination of this and cheap coilovers - again already fitted.

I keep looking at replacement wheels, but for now can’t afford any so will stick with the 17s for the time being.

Sebrings are possibly the best OEM option though.
I quite like castellets but 15s are uncommon, and also quite like estorills - don’t you have those?

Reply #4

I did have Estorils but they weren't for me i don't think. I wasnt a fan of the polished faces and in the end sold them on. Im firm believer that its hard to beat a set 15" RA's

Reply #5
Agree about the polished faces. Estorils were painted silver from factory weren’t they. Castiletts were anodised, so not I’m also not a fan of polished faces and not keen on RAs or any BBS mesh/multispoke because I can’t be doing with the cleaning.

Had RZ on the BMW e30. That said the 17s I’m on are of a similar style, but I haven’t cleaned them yet (6 months of owning) lol

Reply #6
I allways end up going back to 15"'s      general rule of thumb smallest wheels you can get over your brakes.  running 280mm brakes that means 15 inch wheels for me.   seem to have built up a collection of J7 rims they take a 195 or 205 tyer well.

195/50/15  have allways been the go to tyer size for general tyers as well probaly because they are relativly cheep / avalible

Reply #7
think 14s look too small now, 15s with bit of rubber on fill arches for me, 16s look huge but i do have a set in garage, borbet bs(?)venom type things in 16"  running sebrings in powder coated silver with caps on at minute sold the 2 sets of BBS Rms as im not ever gonna be polishing wheels every run.

[attachment deleted by admin due to attachment age]

Reply #8
Done 15, 16 and 17. Think a good 15 with a meaty tyre looks best. 17s with rubber band tyres is just about the worst ride in the history of rides, also feels like steering a boat even with PAS! 16s are fine but tyres seem to be a bit pricey.

All can look good though. Remember an old Oaky on 17 TH2's I think it was. Looked amazing. On a poster. On IG. Probably didn't drive that great though

Reply #9
I've gone to great lengths to keep 15s on mine.
Every time I've put 16s on, they just seem to loose something for me.
Mk2 Driver
Mk2 Silver 8v
Corrado G60 Turbo
Mk2 Red 8v
Mk2 Grey 16v
Mk2 BBM ABF
Bora 20vt
Mk2 Green VR6
Mk2 Green ABF
Mk2 BBM 20vt
3.2 TT Roadster
Mk2 Red 16v
225 TT Coup
3.2 TT Coup
Mk4 Anniversary
Mk7 Red GTI Performance
Mk2 Red GTI Restoration

Mk2 BBM R32
911 Carrera 4S

Reply #10
Painted and lacquered estorils for me. Easy to clean and OEM.
1991 Tornado Red BB 8v GTI Moredoor
2008 Skoda Octy Scout aka dirty diesel

Reply #11
I was thinking 16s as you still have a bit of rubber to help with pot holes. Also they fill the arches well. 17s are great but my experience is a harsher ride and constantly worrying about damaging them. I remember the first time I went from 13” to 14” ..... Now the Standard 14” on my 6n2 look so tiny, my guess is 16s would “correct” but standard looking on it.

I think it boils down to what you do with your car, where you drive it and how low it is.
If its not got a VAG badge, I aint interested.

Reply #12
How about some 19"s?

And no, these aren't photo-shopped nor an optical illusion...