Skip to main content
Topic: 1.3 start & idle issues (Read 651 times) previous topic - next topic

1.3 start & idle issues

Hiya

1991 1.3 Golf
Pierberg 2e3 carb.
Off the road since 2015, started mucking about with it last year. As of January we were on "it starts but won't idle".

Although prob not the best starting point my uncle (way better at this stuff than me but hard to get hold of) offered to help me rebuild the carb. Would have been daft to say no, so we stripped/cleaned/rebuilt it with new diaphragms etc. and once refitted the car idled happily! That was January.

Come back to it now I'm home again and again it was starting but not idling, and then the next weekend, not even starting. Fuel def reaching the carb. Went more obvious this time, new spark plugs & HT leads because both needed doing anyway, but no spark at all to the plugs now. Replaced the ignition coil and no change. Thinking maybe distributor, but I'm out of my depth now, I've only ever had to change the cap on that! Wondered if anyone has been through the same process and could make any suggestions please?

No fuses blown, battery has good charge, turns over when you turn the key but gets no further.

Thanks in advance!  :D

Re: 1.3 start & idle issues

Reply #1
Check the power feed to the coil (i think its the 12v feed from the ignition amplifier), from my experience the cable from factory was never quite long enough and always under tension, this leads to breaks in the wire over time therefore no (or intermittent) spark. As you've been in the area recently probably moving the cables has broke the wire strands internally. When turning it over wiggle the wires (with pliers with rubber handles or similar so any shocks don't get through to your hand) if it suddenly fires then its a wire break and trace it back and repair with new good wire that is a bit longer so it doesn't happen again.

Might not be that at all but definitely worth checking. If you'd rather not risk a shock and have a multi-meter you can check for continuity between the wires at the ignition amplifier plug and the coil connections. Let me know if you want me to check the colour of the wire i had issues with and I'll go have a look.

Hope this helps

Jordan

Reply #2
Thanks for replying, I'll investigate there! Those wires were pretty fiddly and at some nasty angles, sounds promising.

Reply #3
Recently had a similar problem with my motorbike , after just a couple of months of non use it went From fine to really rough running, issue turned out to be fuel, new fuels can have varying amounts of ethanol which attracts moisture into your fuel... if you haven’t used it for a while maybe set up an alternative fuel supply to check you haven’t got bad fuel... if you aren’t using the car then buy premium fuel and consider a fuel additive to prolong its life